Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Couple of questions about Malaysia Airlines?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2004, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Couple of questions about Malaysia Airlines?

I am flying MH on a non-codeshare flight in a weeks time.

Can we pre-book exit row seats? Or seats with extra legroom?

As a elite i am allowed to use Business Class check-in when flying economy on MH. But there are 4 of us flying and i am the only elite. So basically can i still use Business class check-in to check all of us in? Or is that unreasonable??

Can we use KLM points to upgrade on MH flights?
Old Apr 3, 2004, 6:54 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Although you can't get the exit row seats pre-assigned, you can phone up (anyone can) to request other particular seats (including bulkhead, IIRC, although this is risky, as there's a good change you'll be moved due to passengers with infants).

With one élite and three non-élites, you may be lucky, but they'd be well within their rights to refuse you. Most airlines are fine with one, but three may be pushing it.

You also won't get lounge access. As it's not codeshare, you'd be limited to KL lounges only, anyway.

KL miles can only be used to upgrade KL, NW and KQ metal. But the MH Y service is one of the best out there. You'll have a good flight.
Old Apr 3, 2004, 6:57 pm
Original Member

Exit row seats are assigned at check-in.

No, you can not use KLM points to upgrade. You can, however, use KLM points for business class awards on MH.

Enjoy your trip with MH. They are a great airline.
Old Apr 4, 2004, 8:48 am

Programs: AC down to Orange lol, Marriott Silver?
If you are flying onwards domestically in Malaysia on MH and have a long layover, pay the extra I think $80 to upgrade that domestic portion to business class and you can access the lounge.

Malaysia in Y has good entertainment, food and service but the seat is a little cramped.
Old Apr 5, 2004, 1:22 am
Suspended

A little cramped? Malaysian is one of the best airlines in the world for legroom, 34" on the B772 and B744 at least. Flew them last year and the space compared to most other airlines was actually visual before you sat down. Deliberately booked Malaysia this year for a flight to Australia because of it. Leg room in business class not as generous as NWA or KLM though. just over 50" compared to 60" with KLM and NWA.
Old Apr 5, 2004, 4:43 am
Suspended

Maybe when you said cramped you may have been just refering to domestic flights, in which case I have no info about.
Old Apr 5, 2004, 4:54 am

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
Checking in at Business Class with KL elite is fine, we always do it for MAN-KUL. 4 may be pushing it a little !!. We have been away last 3 years for New Year on a flight/hotel package through a consolidator and always managed to get one of the sets of 2 seats at the back when we book the trip. This isn't guaranteed.

Their 744's have a fantastic 34' legroom in Y with superb F/A's as well. Their much maligned 737's for domestic and regional flights are about the same as most others. You can't earn FD points for MH domestic flights.

For long haul in Y they are one of the best around.
Old Apr 5, 2004, 6:08 am
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Mofomat
Maybe when you said cramped you may have been just refering to domestic flights, in which case I have no info about.
Legroom on the short-haul 737s is about the same as any other 737 with normal legroom. The service, though, is still quite good. I can't recall legroom on the A330 I flew SIN-KUL--the flight was too short and I was too tired.
Old Apr 5, 2004, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I will be flying on the A330 and there will only be two of us flying. So i should be ok for checking in with 1 guest at the business class counter? Yes?

Flew on the A330 last month aswell, wasnt too impressed with the leg room. But then again being 6ft 5" i never am.

Does anyone have a telephone number for Malaysian airlines reservations in th UK?
Old Apr 5, 2004, 9:45 am

Programs: KL Explorer
Originally Posted by lallyr

Does anyone have a telephone number for Malaysian airlines reservations in th UK?
0870 607 9090
Old Apr 5, 2004, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Cheers live2fly and others ^
Old Apr 5, 2004, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Actually i have one more question on MH.

Some lounges require an invitation card from the airline, so in this case would I need to approach the KLM desk for a invitation or would MH check-in have to give me one.

The last time I had to fight with the MH check-in agent to get the invite. In KL airport its ok as they just want to see the card.
Old Apr 6, 2004, 1:19 am

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
When I checked in last year at Golden Club Class desk at MAN with my FD GE card for the direct MAN-KUL flight, they gave me a voucher to use at the Servisair lounge. You shouldn't have a problem with lounge access at most places as a PE.

As a matter of interest where are flying from and to with them ?
Old Apr 6, 2004, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

From DEL to KUL (KL) Its just under 5 hours long so need the lounge to have a couple of drinks before the flight
Old Apr 7, 2004, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
We had a kinda similar problem a couple weeks back.

flew Zanzibar-Nairobi-BKK on Kenya Airways, and then First on MH from BKK-KUL-SYD. All on a same day ticket. (32 hours in planes and airports.)

KQ can't "see" the MH system, so could not issue the MH boarding passes in NBO or ZNB. Fine.

Get to BKK 5 hours before our MH flight time. No MH staffers out at that time, and to leave transit lounge would have cost me 500 or 1000 Baht anyway - depending on if they need to "sight" both of us or not. Literally.

MH use Thai lounges in BKK. Go to them and they tell me we can't enter. Tell them that MH First Class pax being denied entry is not a great move. They do not budge.

LUCKILY as we are Star Golds we (not too correctly) used those cards to weasel our way in. As MH pax with NO printed "invite" we had NO hope I can tell you.

THEY then needed to go find all 6 pieces of our checked baggage as we got put onto a TG flight anyway as the MH was cancelled. So they needed to re-tag them with TG # and not the MH one they tagged in ZNB. They sent a staffer down into the bowels of BKK to re-tag them, and five of the 6 did NOT arrive into SYD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.