Wiki Posts
Search

LHR check in time and lounge

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2024, 5:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aegean
LHR check in time and lounge

Soon I have a flight from LHR to AMS with KLM on a late Sunday afternoon as a Flying Blue Platinum member in economy. As I have to leave my hotel room at noon and have to do some work to be done, I thought of getting to Heathrow early, check in my bag and get to the lounge early to do the work. Is this all possible for this situation? With many AF/KL flights from LHR I thought the check in desks would be open all day, but was refused to check in more then 2 hours before the flight departure before at some other European airports. And if I remember correctly the Plaza Premium lounge is only for a maximum amount of time to stay in? Or is that only for paying costumers and not for eligable business/gold/platinum guests?
Old Mar 27, 2024, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Check the times of other earlier AF and KL flights scheduled to depart from LHR that day. Then go to the joint AFKL check-in area while you know it's open for an earlier flight.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Unless it has changed, but before Covid, I have been refused to check bags on AF at LHR more than 2hrs before flight.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 10:47 am

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Never tried this at LHR. At Tunis I could not get my BP (can't check in online there) till opening check in desks for the flight I had (arrived early when they just closed their earlier flight but they refused to give the BP while I think they could have). In Paris I arrived 14:00 being e-checked in for a flight of 20:30 and no issues to use the lounge so early (which was great since some e-meetings to do, which I now could do with free catering while otherwise I would be in some corner of the lobby of my hotel). No experience with early luggage drop off since travel hand luggage only.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by TKtraveller
Soon I have a flight from LHR to AMS with KLM on a late Sunday afternoon as a Flying Blue Platinum member in economy. As I have to leave my hotel room at noon and have to do some work to be done, I thought of getting to Heathrow early, check in my bag and get to the lounge early to do the work. Is this all possible for this situation? With many AF/KL flights from LHR I thought the check in desks would be open all day, but was refused to check in more then 2 hours before the flight departure before at some other European airports. And if I remember correctly the Plaza Premium lounge is only for a maximum amount of time to stay in? Or is that only for paying costumers and not for eligable business/gold/platinum guests?
I was refused check-in for the 15:45 KLM flight as I was too early - I was told to go back at 12:45 (3hrs before).

The lounge was very very busy at that time although it did get quieter a bit later. I thought the food in the lounge was quite nice though.
Old Apr 7, 2024, 1:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aegean
Thank you all for the replies. I indeed had a limit on check in/bag drop at other (European) airports too while the desks where open for other AF or KL flights. This was in Milan and Lisbon. On the other hand no problems in Berlin, Barcelona and obviously Amsterdam and CDG. So it seems I can only check in and drop my bag three hours for departure at Heathrow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.