Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Involuntary downgrade / rerouting

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2024, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Involuntary downgrade / rerouting

Apologies, sure it's been asked before but travelling HUY-AMS-BKK in WBC out, and PE back again. Die to a change in equipment PE is no longer available, so been offered :-

Option 1) Overnight in Paris at our expense (7 of us) and fly on the following day
Option 2) Out of HUY but back into Manchester (100 miles from home so car(s) will be at HUY and have to get back at 23.00 at our expense
Option 3) Delay the return by 2 days and have to pay for 2 extra nights in BKK (at our expense).

Queried EC261 with KL/AF and told that this is not eligible for compensation as "these things happen".

Never been treated like this before, am I being unreasonable ?
Old Jan 24, 2024, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
How long before flights? At any rate EC261 not applicable as O&D are outside the EU. You have to rely on UK261.

I'd choose 3 if rerouting on other airlines is not possible. Mercure Makkasan is quite cheap.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
How long before flights? At any rate EC261 not applicable as O&D are outside the EU. You have to rely on UK261.

I'd choose 3 if rerouting on other airlines is not possible. Mercure Makkasan is quite cheap.

Flights are out 30/03, return 15 (now 17) April.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
So more than 14 days out which may limit you to a full refund if nothing offered is satisfactory. There's a clause of 75% refund on ticket but that may be limited to day of travel downgrade notification. KLM's CoC says refund for the downgrade, which may not be much. You could try angling for some (cheap paid) UG to WBC?

No guarantees there won't be a day of departure a/c swap.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 1:36 pm

I'd fly economy (ouch) and try for both a refund and downgrade compensation x 7

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.