Wiki Posts
Search

Dangerous roof in Schengen area

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2023, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
Dangerous roof in Schengen area

What is happening with the roof in the Schiphol schengen area? I was passing through the busy central area last Friday when a 6 inch chunk of mortar fell down and crashed on the floor near me and a few other people. Fortunately no one was hit, or it could have been really serious.
I headed quickly away from the area, towards my gate which had a proper ceiling cover.
​​​​​I plan to file an official complaint when I return from my Japan trip next week. Who do I contact at AMS?
Old Nov 27, 2023, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Just to clarify, I am talking about the main schengen area at AMS with food outlets and lounges etc. The ceiling there is very high indeed.
I entered via the passport control transfer area nearby to the T4 desk.
​​​​​
Old Nov 27, 2023, 7:31 pm

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Schiphol literally falling apart.....there is this thread were we post on the broken escalators and so on, maybe move this to there....although this 'accident' is obviously much more serious. I do not have a contact point. If you have pictures I would post them here. This is beyound worst imagination.
Old Nov 27, 2023, 7:39 pm

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Try this
https://www.schiphol.nl/en/contact-schiphol/

The thread I mentioned is
Why are so many of the moving walkways at AMS broken? - Page 18 - FlyerTalk Forums
Old Nov 27, 2023, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Given that the terminal is close to if not more than 50 years old. I remember spending quality time in the D or E pier in the early/mid '70s when a SQ 747-200 had to have an engine or something heavy and a/c related removed from the hold. Did't know ore remember the exact details but it required not loading a lot of bags at LHR where the flight originated - thankfully my family knew the SQ station manager at LHR who made sure our bags got loaded.
Old Nov 27, 2023, 11:52 pm

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mikem004
​​​​​I plan to file an official complaint when I return from my Japan trip next week. Who do I contact at AMS?
Save yourself the time and hassle, you will get absolutely nothing in return, if you're lucky you'll get a response.
Verboten and palmanfr like this.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 12:20 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor
The roof of lounge 1 has been stripped down in relation to the construction zone where Het Paleis used to be.

Obviously it is completely unacceptable that there is something falling off the roof. Writing to Schiphol likely won't be productive, maybe a report to some public health authority if the Netherlands has such a thing would be more productive?
Old Nov 28, 2023, 1:17 am

Wow!

They are lucky it didn't hit a wealthy American!
Spoiler

Squerez and palmanfr like this.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 2:51 am

What do you expect to get out of this?
Old Nov 28, 2023, 5:06 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro
What is happening with the roof in the Schiphol schengen area? I was passing through the busy central area last Friday when a 6 inch chunk of mortar fell down and crashed on the floor near me and a few other people. Fortunately no one was hit, or it could have been really serious.
I headed quickly away from the area, towards my gate which had a proper ceiling cover.
I would have contacted security IMMEDIATELY after dodging whatever fell. They in turn would have contacted someone in charge of facilities to inspect the matter, lest it continue to fall on others....but glad you made your flight.
rmadisonwi likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 5:40 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Given that the terminal is close to if not more than 50 years old. I remember spending quality time in the D or E pier in the early/mid '70s when a SQ 747-200 had to have an engine or something heavy and a/c related removed from the hold. Did't know ore remember the exact details but it required not loading a lot of bags at LHR where the flight originated - thankfully my family knew the SQ station manager at LHR who made sure our bags got loaded.
What is now /Hall 1 has been rebuilt and expanded a number of times since then and this roof is much more recent (2005). Before the latest extension, the hall was narrower and what is now the lounge covers large parts of the previous platform area. The lounges/offices above the stores/crew center/etc are in fact in the old outside wall of the building.

See: https://www.benthemcrouwel.com/proje...iphol-lounge-1
Old Nov 28, 2023, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by MichielR
Thanks for the stroll down memory lane!

That's how Lounge 1 used to look when I first started using Schiphol, and it hasn't looked like that for many, many years!

Billyfergus likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 8:53 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
From an old "Schiphol Wegwijzer". Old as in PTT advertised mobile phone rentals and long-term parking P3 cost NLG 85 for the first three days, but post Schengen.

It shows how small what is now Hall 1 was pre-2005.

irishguy28 and Verboten like this.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

At the time of the incident, a Dutch guy who was also nearly hit alerted his friends nearby and was in the process of contacting someone about this. My reaction was to get out of the hall. If large chunks of old mortar are dropping down, a tile or something may follow.
Accidents like this should be investigated at the very least. The subcontractor should not allow anything to drop from a height.
YVR Cockroach and palmanfr like this.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by atflyer
Schiphol literally falling apart.....there is this thread were we post on the broken escalators and so on, maybe move this to there....although this 'accident' is obviously much more serious. I do not have a contact point. If you have pictures I would post them here. This is beyound worst imagination.
I did not have time to take pictures. I thought the roof might collapse on me.
AnaTFN, palmanfr and atflyer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.