Wiki Posts
Search

AMS transfer - Duty free security query

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2023, 6:59 am
Original Poster

AMS transfer - Duty free security query

Good afternoon everyone,
​​​​​​Upcoming I have a DUB-AMS-LCY itinerary. I booked with bizblue points for free hence the strange routing.
I want to buy 3 bottles of Irish whiskey in duty free in DUB.

Please can you answer these questions if you know:
1 - Is there security on a connection from Ireland and going to UK? (Non Schengen to Non Schengen)
2 - If yes, will AMS security accept whiskey in a sealed bag coming from DUB? I have seen something about it being okay if from an EU airport but other reports of confiscation.

I want to take advantage of the tax free whiskey but not if it gets confiscated!

Thank you
Old Nov 15, 2023, 7:30 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
No and yes in that order.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
No and yes in that order.
Thank you.
Out of curiosity why whenever I fly NBO-AMS-XXX is there security? Is this because Kenya is deemed high risk but not Ireland or UK? Thanks
Old Nov 15, 2023, 8:52 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by AviosTreasureHunter
Thank you.
Out of curiosity why whenever I fly NBO-AMS-XXX is there security? Is this because Kenya is deemed high risk but not Ireland or UK? Thanks
USA, Canada, UK, non-Schengen EU (including Ireland) and, at this time, I believe Singapore are the only countries which do not require a security check after arrival as their security checks are considered equivalent to those in Europe.
hhdl and AviosTreasureHunter like this.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 8:57 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Thank you.
EU members, Switzerland, the UK, Singapore, Japan, the US, and Canada (maybe some others, e.g. South Korea or Israel?) are considered by the EU to have security standards at least equivalent to the EU and thus the EU doesn't require reclearing security if you went through security there. Thus EU airports may have flights where everybody qualifies (in the case of AMS, this means that a SIN-AMS nonstop qualifies but not a DPS-SIN-AMS) disembark via airside channels. AMS is usually exceptionally good about doing this (not perfect, though), FRA less so (my flights from the US are usually let out into the departure area), and CDG is improving (about a third of the 2E gates now support transfer without security).

Last edited by hhdl; Nov 15, 2023 at 2:12 pm
Old Nov 15, 2023, 9:19 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by hhdl
EU members, Switzerland, the UK, Singapore, Japan, the US, and Canada (maybe some others, e.g. South Korea or Israel?) are considered by the EU to have security standards at least equivalent to the EU and thus the EU doesn't require reclearing security if you went through security there. Thus EU airports may have flights where everybody qualifies (in the case of AMS, this means that a SIN-AMS nonstop qualifies but not a DPS-SIN-AMS) disembark via airside channels. AMS is usually exceptionally good about doing this (not perfect, though), FRA less so (my flights from the US are usually let out into the departure area), and CDG is improving (about a third of the 2E gates now support transfer without security).
In case you are interested, the official EU list is in Attachment 4-B as found here: https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-cont...R1998-20230401

This Regulation applies to the EU, Norway, Switzerland, Lichtenstein and Iceland.

Currently the countries with equivalent security measures are:
Canada
Faroe Islands, in regard to Vagar airport
Greenland, in regard to Kangerlussuaq airport
Guernsey
Isle of Man
Jersey
Montenegro
Republic of Serbia, in regard to Belgrade Nikola Tesla Airport
Republic of Singapore, in regard to Singapore Changi Airport
State of Israel, in regard to Ben Gurion International Airport
United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
United States of America
hhdl and AviosTreasureHunter like this.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for all your responses.
​​​​​​Was not aware of the EU laws on this so interesting to finally now solve the mystery (to me) of security during transit in EU hubs (in particular AMS).
I am also happy that I can buy 3 19 euro bottles of Bushmills whiskey! (Gifts I promise, apart from a cheeky one for me).
hhdl likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 3:00 pm

Good afternoon everyone,
​​​​​​Upcoming I have a DUB-AMS-LCY itinerary. I booked with bizblue points for free hence the strange routing.
I want to buy 3 bottles of Irish whiskey in duty free in DUB.

Please can you answer these questions if you know:
1 - Is there security on a connection from Ireland and going to UK? (Non Schengen to Non Schengen)
2 - If yes, will AMS security accept whiskey in a sealed bag coming from DUB? I have seen something about it being okay if from an EU airport but other reports of confiscation.

I want to take advantage of the tax free whiskey but not if it gets confiscated!

Thank you
AFAIK you can buy four bottles, the UK allows you to bring 4l of whiskey in.

Now, what the legalities of exiting in Amsterdam and handing your whiskey to the friend who you bought it for there, then reclearing security and flying to the UK are, I don't know. I know thats not what you're doing, but its still interesting.

Edit: And I've done the same trip in reverse - you land in Amsterdam and don't have to go through any security or passport control. You'll likely have a very short walk.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Because you're flying to an EU destination as your next stop (AMS), you will not be entitled to duty free prices in Dublin.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by MichielR
In case you are interested, the official EU list is in Attachment 4-B as found here: https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-cont...R1998-20230401
State of Israel, in regard to Ben Gurion International Airport
Interesting to see Israel in the list, nonetheless my experience flying there several times a year shows that without fail I had to re-clear security/was dropped off outside the secure area in AMS.

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Because you're flying to an EU destination as your next stop (AMS), you will not be entitled to duty free prices in Dublin.
Shouldn't they look at the final destination? Many moons ago when AMS still had duty-free shopping it was never an issue to buy something and not pay tax even if you had a connection in another EU country.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 1:06 am

Originally Posted by THE_Chris
Now, what the legalities of exiting in Amsterdam and handing your whiskey to the friend who you bought it for there, then reclearing security and flying to the UK are, I don't know. I know thats not what you're doing, but its still interesting.
Perfectly legal. On the way out you have to pass through customs where you will have to declare anything in excess of whatever limit applies (which I don't know off-hand).

Of course if you don't declare then it becomes illegal.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 2:28 am
Original Poster

Duplicate.
Please delete.
​​​​

Last edited by AviosTreasureHunter; Nov 16, 2023 at 2:46 am
Old Nov 16, 2023, 2:30 am
Original Poster

Good morning.
I believe they look at final destination of ticket not connection point.
Before the B word, I'm fairly sure I bought duty free in DUB on a DUB-LHR-LAX because my final destination on ticket was LAX.
Anybody else got experience of this?
I've also bought duty free in ABZ on ABZ-LHR-XXX loads of times (both before and after the B word).
​​​​
Old Nov 16, 2023, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Good morning.
Before the B word, I'm fairly sure I bought duty free in DUB on a DUB-LHR-LAX because my final destination on ticket was LAX.
Anybody else got experience of this?
I've also bought duty free in ABZ on ABZ-LHR-XXX loads of times (both before and after the B word).
​​​​
OK, I queried this with The Loop, and I was wrong.

Here's their answer:

Originally Posted by The Loop
Good afternoon,
Thank you for your email, Please be advised once your connecting flight is outside of the E.U and with in 24hrs you can purchase Duty free in our stores and carry it to your final destination. Please insure you give all flight details when purchasing.

Kind regards,
That said, I'm not entirely sure that the boarding pass scan will automatically give you the duty-free price, and will instead probably recognise AMS rather than LCY and automatically give you the duty-paid price.

Please report back!!!!

Make sure you have your purchases sealed in the special tamper-proof transparent bags with the receipt inside clearly visible. You should not have a security check upon arrival in AMS, but DUB has failed security audits with a worrying frequency over the last several years which have required all transfer pax arriving from DUB to be rescreened at the connection point, so you can never entirely be sure that you will not be security screened upon arrival in Schiphol.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 9:57 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
​​​​
When transferring this would be the case (Like you are doing). However if you enter Schengen at your transfer point you are effectively importing the good into the EU. I'm also not entirely sure if they will let you through security (Landside to airside) with 3-4L of liquids in duty free bags; as at that point you are no longer transferring but rather you are departing Schengen.

If they were to allow you to bring in items into the EU at your transfer point, according to the rules of your destination, then what's stopping you from dropping off those items and not taking them to your final destination..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.