Wiki Posts
Search

KL863: immigration queues at Narita

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2023, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
KL863: immigration queues at Narita

KL863 AMS-NRT. I am arriving at Narita T1 at around 08:40 on a Sunday in late November.
Any ideas on expected time to go through immigration/customs?
My previous visits to Japan were pre-COVID and immigration and customs were swift and well organised. But I have seen anecdotal evidence that queues may be much longer nowadays.
Old Sep 20, 2023, 3:14 am
Suspended

Narita pre COVID was very hit and miss. They do a lot of random searches on hand luggage and the clothing you wear. They went through a time were people were getting free trips to Japan to smuggle gold inside their clothes and luggage. Before that it was food checks. The longest I have ever waited is about 30 minutes. Compared to European and American airports it will be a BREEZE.
Digicola likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2023, 3:44 am

Programs: AF/KLM Platinum Ultimate, VA Velocity Platinum, ALL Platinum
I can’t say for your specific time but these days the skyteam terminal at NRT is an absolute ghost town compared to the past. Immigration is usually swift but customs take some time.
I can’t remember if they have the new system that HND has where you register online and go through the face scanners but thats usually the quickest way out as people rarely bother using it and customs checks are expedited.
Old Sep 20, 2023, 4:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
@Digicola: Thanks for the info on a potential customs short cut, by using an automated face scanner.
I wonder if this is mentioned in KLM's aerodoc online tool?

Here is a link:
https://www.customs.go.jp/english/pa...ation_app.html

Last edited by mikem004; Sep 20, 2023 at 4:49 am
Old Sep 20, 2023, 4:48 am

Programs: AF/KLM Platinum Ultimate, VA Velocity Platinum, ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by mikem004
@Digicola: Thanks for the info on a potential customs short cut, by using an automated face scanner.
I wonder if this is mentioned in KLM's aerodoc online tool?
Doubtful, but here is the official Japan customs website that describes the process. Seems like Narita does have the unmanned gates.

https://www.customs.go.jp/english/passenger/egate.htm
Old Sep 20, 2023, 4:29 pm
F8X

Programs: AFKL Plat, LH SEN
Narita indeed has the e-gates for custom clearance. Used it a couple of times and it works fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.