Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gate check trolley free for KLM Gold on KL flight?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2023, 3:52 am
Original Poster

Gate check trolley free for KLM Gold on KL flight?

I'm about to pull the trigger and book a 60min connection on separate tickets in MXP, as the last flight to AMS leaves 60 mins. after my WY (OmanAir) flight touches down. WY probably won't interline checked in luggage on separate tickets and there is not enough time to wait at the luggage belt and visit the check in counter, so I thought about taking 2 hand luggage trolleys. That's fine with WY (business, wideboy) but not on KLM.

What are my chances of gate checking in a trolley with KLM for free, as a KLM Gold member (Elite plus)? And if there's anyone whose experience with WY and interlining is different to what I assume, I would love to hear so!

Thanks!
Old Aug 19, 2023, 5:24 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Le ClubAccor Gold
Originally Posted by Travel-Quinten
I'm about to pull the trigger and book a 60min connection on separate tickets in MXP, as the last flight to AMS leaves 60 mins. after my WY (OmanAir) flight touches down. WY probably won't interline checked in luggage on separate tickets and there is not enough time to wait at the luggage belt and visit the check in counter, so I thought about taking 2 hand luggage trolleys. That's fine with WY (business, wideboy) but not on KLM.

What are my chances of gate checking in a trolley with KLM for free, as a KLM Gold member (Elite plus)? And if there's anyone whose experience with WY and interlining is different to what I assume, I would love to hear so!

Thanks!
I would say it is a too risky connexion.
No chance to check in at the counter, but probable they would let you through (if you have your flight).

However, you should enter Schengen, pass security and get to your Gate in 30-40mn. I would personnaly not take the chance.
on.the.bowery and irishguy28 like this.

Last edited by canadavid; Aug 19, 2023 at 5:42 pm
Old Aug 19, 2023, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadavid
I would say it is a too risky connexion.
No chance to check in at the counter, but probable they would let you through (if you have your flight).

However, you should enter Schengen, pass security and get to tour Gate in 30-40mn. I would personnaly not take thé chance.
Thanks for your advice and I'm totally aware of the risk. With front of cabin (first out), EU passport, fast track security, online check-in, a compact airport, hand luggage only - I thought it's doable. The biggest risk would be a schedule change in the coming 8 months, I guess....

For the gate-check question, I will get into contact with KLM through Whatsapp
Old Aug 19, 2023, 11:07 am

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Thanks for your advice and I'm totally aware of the risk. With front of cabin (first out), EU passport, fast track security, online check-in, a compact airport, hand luggage only - I thought it's doable. The biggest risk would be a schedule change in the coming 8 months, I guess....

For the gate-check question, I will get into contact with KLM through Whatsapp
There is so much that can go wrong. Schedule change is one. But there can be delays, long queues for passport check, maybe an obliged hand luggage security check. I have seen this all and this led in more than one case to missed connections. The worst was a gate being blocked at Heathrow that led to my Delta flight waiting for 30 minutes while we had arrived at the destination with a doable delay...in the Summer of 2022 with crazy queues for security (in the UK you always go through security upon connection when flying continental) and so I missed my connection. Since one PNR protected (I ended up staying a night in London on KL costs and was rebooked next morning). I once had a self-connection of 2.5-3 hours in Manchester which seemed so lavish. Flight US-Man some 2.5 hour delayed departure, it was obvious I would miss the connection, since there was something with my seat the purser had pity with me and maybe since the next leg was with the same alliance they rebooked me. They could have said: sorry, your problem. Implications in that scenario: a missed keynote presentation at a conference next day, a 250 Euro ticket down the drain, and my only option would have been looking for a cheap way to get home trying to buy a last minute (and hence likely very expensive) ticket. I'd strongly recommend to calculate through a not unlikely scenario (I'd say 10-20% chance) you miss your connection. KL will say no-show and you lost your ticket. What then? What hotel costs may you face? What will a last minute booking for your next destination cost? For these reasons I always play safe now on self-connections and have at least one night in between flights.

Last edited by atflyer; Aug 19, 2023 at 11:24 am
Old Aug 19, 2023, 11:11 am

Programs: FB Plat, SQ*G, OW Emerald, Hertz PC
That non-schengen to schengen passport control can get very busy, and i would not risk it. MXP have some very affordable airport hotels which can create a comfortable overnight connection
Old Aug 29, 2023, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold

Thanks!
I guess you won't be needing this separate ticket now; I hope you hadn't already "pulled the trigger"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.