Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How doable is a 55 minute connection at AMS?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2023, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

How doable is a 55 minute connection at AMS?

I'll soon be flying from the USA to Amsterdam then connecting to a Schengen country. My first leg is operated by Delta while the 2nd one is KLM. How doable is 55 minute connection considering that I would have to go through passport control at AMS?

Thanks!
Old Jul 13, 2023, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
55 min is above the minimum connection time for AMS; however, you would be advised against self-connecting with such a short connection time.
ebayj and boss315 like this.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
55 min is above the minimum connection time for AMS; however, you would be advised against self-connecting with such a short connection time.
It's all on the same ticket purchased via Delta. Would it still be a bad idea? My other options are a 3.5 layover or 7 hour layover. I figure that with the 7 hour layover I might have some might to head out to Amsterdam for an hour or two.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Yakolev
It's all on the same ticket purchased via Delta. Would it still be a bad idea? My other options are a 3.5 layover or 7 hour layover. I figure that with the 7 hour layover I might have some might to head out to Amsterdam for an hour or two.
I'd book it. If you miss the connection you'll be rebooked onto one of the later flights.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 2:35 pm

Programs: FB Plat
I'd book it. If you miss the connection you'll be rebooked onto one of the later flights.
This, if all in the ticket try luck with the 55 minute connection. Also, flights from the US often arrive early, so you will likely have more than an hour to transfer.
ebayj likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2023, 2:41 am

Programs: FB Gold
+2. Go for it, you'll be rebooked onto the next available flight if something goes wrong.
Old Jul 14, 2023, 4:28 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Of course this approach does require that you keep a potential delay (if you do miss the connection) in mind when planning the rest of your schedule at the destination country. Also depending on the flight loads those flights 3,5 or 7 hours later may be fully booked causing a larger delay. You may be able to estimate that based on flight loads for today's flight and current availability for the flight(s) on the day of travel. Though there's always a small chance that if you do miss the connection that you will be stuck in Amsterdam for a little longer than you'd like. Which, depending on the kind of trip, may be an issue..or not.

So my (seemingly controversial opinion) would be to book the 3,5hr connection to allow for a little delay and make sure there won't be any stress and/or running around the airport. Or book an even longer connection if you'd like to see Amsterdam. If you do head into the city keep in mind that the train ride is about 20 minutes, and may take up to 30 in case you need to grab a taxi - and without priority I'd aim to be back at Schiphol 2 hrs before departure of the intra-Schengen flight.
BA850 likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2023, 5:22 am

Because most USA>EU flights tend to land early, I wouldn’t be too worried. Also, you don’t have to pick up your luggage when you first land in Europe (which you have to do in the US even if you are connecting). I have had similar connection times at AMS and it was fine.
Old Jul 14, 2023, 7:07 am

I would like to recommend the Short Connection Pass to the OP. But I am not sure if this service is still in place at AMS. You can research it on Google. "Schiphol Short Connection Pass"

"Special Short Connection Units have been installed at two piers where many connecting passengers arrive. Travellers can scan their boarding pass and their connection time is calculated based on flight information. In the event of a short connection time, the unit prints out a pass. With this pass, travellers can use the Short Connection Lane and do not have to queue for the security and passport controls."

Does anyone know if this is still in place ?

From experience, immigration can get busy in the early morning and early afternoon but the first four DL can manage to avoid the crowds. These are DL46, DL132, DL70 and DL256. These usually park at the E gates.
Old Jul 14, 2023, 7:46 am

You likely will be fine at 55 minutes. I've had a handful of similar connections and always made them. Immigration used to have people who would pull you out of line if you had a short connection if line was busy. But I don't know if they are still there. My most recent connection was 50 minutes OSL-EDI and had to clear immigration. But line was so short they didn't need a priority line. Only slight worry would be how far apart the gates are. I don't recall the walk being particularly bad from EU to USA on Delta or KLM. But my recent KLM connection involved an almost 20 minute fast walk as our gate was at end of terminal.

3.5 hours at Schipol isn't too bad. I actually prefer that timing as it gives a moment to stretch legs and grab bite from lounge. Rushing from a long flight to get on another plane isn't ideal. 7 hours is too long to be in airport but not really long enough to go to city and actually do anything. You could probably get off train, walk around near the station, and then go back.
Old Jul 14, 2023, 9:02 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by on.the.bowery
I would like to recommend the Short Connection Pass to the OP. But I am not sure if this service is still in place at AMS. You can research it on Google. "Schiphol Short Connection Pass"

"Special Short Connection Units have been installed at two piers where many connecting passengers arrive. Travellers can scan their boarding pass and their connection time is calculated based on flight information. In the event of a short connection time, the unit prints out a pass. With this pass, travellers can use the Short Connection Lane and do not have to queue for the security and passport controls."

Does anyone know if this is still in place ?

From experience, immigration can get busy in the early morning and early afternoon but the first four DL can manage to avoid the crowds. These are DL46, DL132, DL70 and DL256. These usually park at the E gates.
I haven't been in those NS areas lately but there is a short connection line at passport control if needed.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 5:24 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
What about a short connection the other way around?

I have a flight from Dusseldorf coming in (scheduled) into AMS at 13:25 and my onward flight to Mexico City departs at 14:30, so boarding doors close at 14:15. Does it make sense to get to the airport in time for the earlier flight to AMS (which would leave DUS four hours earlier), or do you think this is still reasonably doable?

At least on two of the last seven days the DUS-AMS flight arrived 30-40 minutes late, which is what got me worried, and in addition I have a condition that prevents me from running (I can normally walk though, just not as fast as I would like). Given the arrival from DUS at a B-gate (or even an outside stand) and the departure to MEX probably from an F-gate, that alone means 25 minutes of walk plus passport check.

Thanks for your opinions!

Greetings - Dirk
Old Jul 18, 2023, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by djohannw
I have a flight from Dusseldorf coming into AMS at 13:25 and my onward flight to Mexico City departs at 14:30 Does it make sense to get to the airport in time for the earlier flight to AMS (which would leave DUS four hours earlier)
At least on two of the last seven days the DUS-AMS flight arrived 30-40 minutes late. Given the arrival from DUS at a B-gate (or even an outside stand) and the departure to MEX probably from an F-gate, that alone means 25 minutes of walk plus passport check.
Hello,

It's doable.

But if you have an appointment in MEX you can't be late for, I would recommend flying KL1854 instead of KL1856.

If you are parked at the Embraer farm, the bus will drop you at the bottom of the D gates, not too far from passport control. ("A04" for bus drivers)

Yesterday, KL1856 landed at 13:52, parked 5 minutes later at gate B36 and KL685 departed from F8, the gate closed at 14:32 and the plane took off at at 14:43. Around 30 minutes to go from gate to gate (1400m or 0.9 mile distance walk (17 minutes)). If you are afraid that this might be too much walk for you or not enough time, don't risk it.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 6:59 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by djohannw
What about a short connection the other way around?

I have a flight from Dusseldorf coming in (scheduled) into AMS at 13:25 and my onward flight to Mexico City departs at 14:30, so boarding doors close at 14:15. Does it make sense to get to the airport in time for the earlier flight to AMS (which would leave DUS four hours earlier), or do you think this is still reasonably doable?

At least on two of the last seven days the DUS-AMS flight arrived 30-40 minutes late, which is what got me worried, and in addition I have a condition that prevents me from running (I can normally walk though, just not as fast as I would like). Given the arrival from DUS at a B-gate (or even an outside stand) and the departure to MEX probably from an F-gate, that alone means 25 minutes of walk plus passport check.

Thanks for your opinions!

Greetings - Dirk
Going into the airport early won't help you a bit. Same-day standby is not something that European airlines do (except in some cases as Flex fare benefit).

If you want the peace of mind you need to reschedule under normal rules. Otherwise get a seat in the front and put on your running shoes.

ETA: I see you have a condition that prevents you from running, and walking fast might also be an issue. I would suggest reaching out to KLM to arrange assistance.
orbitmic, KL895, atflyer and 2 others like this.

Last edited by Fabo.sk; Jul 18, 2023 at 7:17 am
Old Jul 18, 2023, 11:46 pm

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Thanks everyone for your feedback - I think I will just need to risk it. Given the high loads on the flights to MEX (mine currently shows J1C1Y1, the rest zero'd, and the day after the same) I will try everything to make it to the gate before the door closes as rebooking to an earlier flight is just not possible given the fare difference.

I guess the determining factor will be the wait at passport control - if that line is short I will probably make it even with 30 minutes delay, yet when lines are long there then I probably even have an issued when everything is on time. In terms of assistance - does KLM offer something like gate-pickup only (so no wheelchair service, but only these carts that move people around at AMS), and if so - can I book that online, or do I have to call?

Greetings - Dirk

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.