Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Assigned Standby Seat for S SFO -> AMS -> JRO

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2023, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Assigned Standby Seat for S SFO -> AMS -> JRO

Booked a flight in premium comfort (S) from SFO to JRO (through AMS) in early May. Upon booking, I was unable to select my seat for the SFO -> AMS leg (I selected seat 11k for the AMS -> JRO leg) but was told that that wasn't uncommon and that I would be able to upon checkin. I just checked in online and was again not prompted to select my seat. Attempting to view my boarding pass online gives me the message "Although you are checked in, it is not possible to assign a seat number at this moment. Please print the check-in confirmation below and report to the check-in desk. We are sorry for the inconvenience. " and my check-in confirmation document says that I've been assigned a standby seat for both legs of the flight, despite having previously selected my seat for the second leg.

What gives? I assume the flight is oversold, but what will happen during check in? I really can't miss this flight (I'm climbing Kilimanjaro). If they have to boot someone off, do they start with lower fare classes? If premium comfort/S is oversold and they can only accommodate me in economy, I'm entitled to a partial refund of the fare correct (75% of the fare in miles, IIRC?)?
Old Jun 11, 2023, 1:45 am

It may be oversold in business/PE and has only 2 seats available in Y. Difficult to know if you'll be downgraded but if so compensation is unclear to me as you are not flying to the EU but to JRO.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 6:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by erik123
It may be oversold in business/PE and has only 2 seats available in Y. Difficult to know if you'll be downgraded but if so compensation is unclear to me as you are not flying to the EU but to JRO.
This is wrong. EU carriers pay compensation regardless of whether the flight is to or from the EU.

And yes, OP, the compensation is 75% of the ticket price (for the leg, not total).

Not sure what they do with regards to prioritization in case of overbooking. SFO-AMS should be easy enough to reroute though even if it is oversold, assuming your connection time in AMS is sufficient. I would show up to the airport early and ask.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 2:19 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by mpkz
This is wrong. EU carriers pay compensation regardless of whether the flight is to or from the EU.

And yes, OP, the compensation is 75% of the ticket price (for the leg, not total).
tickets from outside community to outside community transferring through community are not covered by EC261/2004, such had the courts confirmed.

Downgrade reimbursement is part of the Regulation.

Airlines don't have any legal requirement to compensate downgraded pax on SFO-JRO routing per EC261 regulation.
Other regulations are available.
mpkz and hhdl like this.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 3:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
tickets from outside community to outside community transferring through community are not covered by EC261/2004, such had the courts confirmed.

Downgrade reimbursement is part of the Regulation.

Airlines don't have any legal requirement to compensate downgraded pax on SFO-JRO routing per EC261 regulation.
Other regulations are available.
Good to know, thanks
Old Jun 12, 2023, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by nopurposeflour
Booked a flight in premium comfort (S) from SFO to JRO (through AMS) in early May. Upon booking, I was unable to select my seat for the SFO -> AMS leg (I selected seat 11k for the AMS -> JRO leg) but was told that that wasn't uncommon and that I would be able to upon checkin. I just checked in online and was again not prompted to select my seat. Attempting to view my boarding pass online gives me the message "Although you are checked in, it is not possible to assign a seat number at this moment. Please print the check-in confirmation below and report to the check-in desk. We are sorry for the inconvenience. " and my check-in confirmation document says that I've been assigned a standby seat for both legs of the flight, despite having previously selected my seat for the second leg.

What gives? I assume the flight is oversold, but what will happen during check in? I really can't miss this flight (I'm climbing Kilimanjaro). If they have to boot someone off, do they start with lower fare classes? If premium comfort/S is oversold and they can only accommodate me in economy, I'm entitled to a partial refund of the fare correct (75% of the fare in miles, IIRC?)?
So what happened?
hhdl and irishguy28 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.