Search

My wife's luggage missing despite KLM app confirmation

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2022, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: EBD , FBG
My wife's luggage missing despite KLM app confirmation

Hi,

My wife flew Houston to Bergen through Amsterdam today. The Houston flight was late so her transit time was only 43 minutes, but she made the connection. When she was boarding the connecting flight I could see message in the KLM app saying that both luggages were loaded on the flight. However, when she came to Bergen the luggage was missing. The agent said he could not see it in Amsterdam, and I'm assuming its because the system thought it left with the plane.

Has anyone experienced this?
Isn't it weird it was registered to be on the plane and then it didn't show up? When do ground workers register the bags as being loaded?

Wife of course is worried because its as if the bags have evaporated in Amsterdam
Old Dec 20, 2022, 11:32 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor
My experience is the app is fairly untrustworthy when it comes to baggage status.

Did your wife get a PIR number in Bergen? Then I would log on and check if there is any information already there, it’s a pretty good chance the bag just missed the connection and will be on the next flight.

Also be sure to check contact information is correct.
irishguy28 and Kleffen like this.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: EBD , FBG
Originally Posted by dkeng
My experience is the app is fairly untrustworthy when it comes to baggage status.

Did your wife get a PIR number in Bergen? Then I would log on and check if there is any information already there, it’s a pretty good chance the bag just missed the connection and will be on the next flight.

Also be sure to check contact information is correct.

You seem to be correct.
Although luggage agent in Bergen could not see it, I called Amsterdam and they confirmed the luggage is in Amsterdam and will be on the next flight.
The app played tricks on us.
With a 43 mins transit I would normally not be surprised if it did not make it, but since the app said so I was afraid it was gone or something.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Kleffen
Has anyone experienced this?
Isn't it weird it was registered to be on the plane and then it didn't show up? When do ground workers register the bags as being loaded?
I really don't think that the app shows anything other than the baggage receipt number and a generic, reassuring message that the baggage has been loaded...which will be correct in over 99% of cases.

I genuinely don't believe that the app is dynamically linked to the ground handlers' systems, and I genuinely don't believe KLM actually wants you to see real-time live updates of where your luggage is; imagine if a passenger demanded to be offloaded from a flight that is ready to depart, just because the app didn't contain the reassuring message that the bags were received and loaded.

Wife of course is worried because its as if the bags have evaporated in Amsterdam
I passed through Amsterdam today and I can assure you it is nowhere near warm.enough for her luggage to evaporate 😀

Given that there was only 43 minutes between flights, it is far from surprising that the bags weren't rushed over as rapidly as your wife was able to make it. There is no reason to suspect that the bags won't arrive in the coming days.

I assume that the report was filed at BGO and that you have a file reference for checking updates and keeping your address up to date (if you are moving around).

Speaking from recent experience, though on a different airline, that centralised baggage tracing system is not updated in real time either. It was telling ne that a possible match had been found in Heathrow even as the courier was dropping my bag off at my hotel in Australia.

It's just important that you get a reference number, and that you keep your contact details and delivery address up to date.
dkeng likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 12:22 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor
In my experience KLM is fairly decent at keeping worldtracer up to date with the status. I had delayed luggage last week on a similar tight connection and the new flight information was already there when I checked after getting to my hotel.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 9:11 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
You seem to be correct.
Although luggage agent in Bergen could not see it, I called Amsterdam and they confirmed the luggage is in Amsterdam and will be on the next flight.
The app played tricks on us.
With a 43 mins transit I would normally not be surprised if it did not make it, but since the app said so I was afraid it was gone or something.
When the bag gets delivered/reunited, check the tag on the bag to see what it says. A newly-issued tag, a rush tag, or a revision of (original and/or rush) tag on the bag may provide indications of the place and even time/date of where things went wrong after being checked in.

I have been playing around a lot with having AirTag and TilePro Bluetooth trackers in checked-in luggage, and it’s been useful and entertaining — both on trips where the checked luggage was subject to irregularity reports and also on trips where the checked luggage arrived on time and was not subject to irregularity reports.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 2:31 am

Programs: FB Plat
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I have been playing around a lot with having AirTag and TilePro Bluetooth trackers in checked-in luggage, and it’s been useful and entertaining — both on trips where the checked luggage was subject to irregularity reports and also on trips where the checked luggage arrived on time and was not subject to irregularity reports.
Same, I have been using an AirTag and when I recently missed my connection and had to stay overnight at my connection city it was reassuring to see my suitcase being loaded in my flight next day together with me (via AirTag, swiss airlines didn't provide any info). I can only imagine that in case of a near misconnection as the one from the original post the AirTag would have been even more useful to know for sure in which city they had my baggage. Highly recommended.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.