Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hand baggage not guaranteed

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2022, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Hand baggage not guaranteed

Just checked in for YUL-AMS-GLA for tomorrow. Husband, explorer FB got the following on his boarding pass (digital and paper), in a dark blue box, "Hand baggage not guaranteed in cabin". I am silver FB, my boarding passes have no such note.

Is this a new thing? Does this mean mine are guaranteed, now that's a bonus.

ETA - we both have zone 3 boarding.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
This has been there for a while. It’s just mean that they prioritize hand luggage for status pax (and J of course). But in practice, nothing is guaranteed, even for status pax.
Bogwoppit and irishguy28 like this.

Last edited by Goldorak; Dec 2, 2022 at 2:10 pm
Old Dec 1, 2022, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goldorak
This has been there for a while. It’s just mean that they priorities and luggage for status pax (and J of course). But in practice, nothing is guaranteed, even for status pax.
I guess as I have not travelled with himself for a while, I have not seen it before. There are never any guarantees, so weird they would bother putting it there.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I forgot to say that I think this mention appears only when traveling on light fare, i.e. with no checked bag included. Those pax are more prone to travel with a larger carryon.
Bogwoppit and KL895 like this.
Old Dec 2, 2022, 3:32 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Gate checks are part and parcel of flying today an all airlines at least in Europe. Passengers can (attempt) to take a damn lot of stuff onboard.

It's probably a majority of my flights that staff looks for bags to be gatechecked and indeed status pax are usually left with their carryons unless volunteering.

Putting it on a light-fare having non-FF BP makes sense. They are both more likely to have an oversize bag as well as less likely to know that this is a thing that happens (plus being "first in line" for an involuntary gate check)
Bogwoppit likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2022, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Bogwoppit
There are never any guarantees, so weird they would bother putting it there.
Experienced travellers know that, of course. But infrequent travellers are probably more likely to be the ones required to check in what they thought would be a "guaranteed" carry-on bag, so it probably helps the frontline staff to print this on those boarding passes.
NickB, Bogwoppit and Goldorak like this.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I was on a flight back to AMS today which was full, and for which they announced at the gate that everyone in Zone 5 would have to check their carry-on bags at the gate.
Goldorak, Arpoador and Bogwoppit like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.