Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > KLM Flying Dutchman
Reload this Page >

KLM Cancelled My Flight The Day Before-- What Are My Compensation Options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2022, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Hi All,
I was hoping to get some advice from the experts here. KLM cancelled my flight less than 48 hours out due to an equipment change (although, this seems weird because the original flight is still scheduled to take off and I kept getting an alert that they were having operational issues at AMS and today saw on the news that flights in and out of Italy were going to be affected bc of a possible strike but KLM did not mention these reasons as a cause of the cancellation).

Original route was tomorrow Oct 21- LAX to AMS and then AMS to NAP.

They rebooked me on a Virgin flight from LAX to LHR five hours later than my original flight and then taking BA from LHR to NAP and getting in five hours later than my original flight.

They emailed my husband and said that he is entitled to a NON-REFUNDABLE voucher in the amount of $1,016 but I have no idea how they came up with this number and if it is just for him or both of us. For some reason, I am not getting any emails from KLM so I am unsure if they sent me an email regarding a voucher for myself.

From what I hear, it is unusual for KLM to rebook me on a non- partner airline so I do not want to sound ungrateful but am I entitled to further compensation? The business class on the new flight is far less superior to that of my original flight. Also, is there an option for me to convert this non refundable voucher into a cash refund (as I will probably not use it within a year).

Thank you!
Old Oct 20, 2022, 11:39 pm

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
You're entitled to 600 EUR cash per person, but if you accept non-refundable vouchers the amounts offered are typically larger.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 10:48 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (Full), Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire, Wyndham DIA, Hilton Gold, AA EXP
I have the following flights coming up next month on KLM:

ORD-AMS (Delayed/rescheduled more than 5 hours)

AMS-FCO (Flight changed because of the above delay)

I booked this ticket using FB points. No elite or status but the flights are both in business class.

* What would be my compensation?

* Is it possible to change the entire flight to Air France going through Paris for free (No change fee or additional points)? Or in this case, would I have to pay $50 and the change/cancellation fee to rebook like the usual way?

Any idea?
Old Oct 21, 2022, 12:42 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, BA Silver
Originally Posted by lAzyTraveler
I have the following flights coming up next month on KLM:

ORD-AMS (Delayed/rescheduled more than 5 hours)
AMS-FCO (Flight changed because of the above delay)

I booked this ticket using FB points. No elite or status but the flights are both in business class.

* What would be my compensation?
* Is it possible to change the entire flight to Air France going through Paris for free (No change fee or additional points)? Or in this case, would I have to pay $50 and the change/cancellation fee to rebook like the usual way?

Any idea?
Find the AF flights you prefer to have (if you got Expertflyer check availability), and then contact KLM/AF and see if they can rebook you.
As it's a change caused by them they shouldn't charge change fee, nor a difference in points. (Had a similar situation for an award flight and was easily rebooked to a direct flight to the US. I do have platinum status so not sure if they factor that into their decision to accommodate a request)
Old Oct 21, 2022, 1:53 pm

Might it be due to the ATC strike in Italy on the 21st? I had a had a flight AMS-NAP canceled two days ago and was lucky to make it to FCO.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 4:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (Full), Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire, Wyndham DIA, Hilton Gold, AA EXP
Originally Posted by tulipan
Find the AF flights you prefer to have (if you got Expertflyer check availability), and then contact KLM/AF and see if they can rebook you.
As it's a change caused by them they shouldn't charge change fee, nor a difference in points. (Had a similar situation for an award flight and was easily rebooked to a direct flight to the US. I do have platinum status so not sure if they factor that into their decision to accommodate a request)
Thanks so much for your advice!
I just called FB and they changed it for free. Glad that I got AF flights to Rome from ORD as it will be my first time flying on AF.
I will have over 5 hrs of layover at CDG, but I’m looking forward to trying AF lounges, too!
Old Oct 22, 2022, 2:23 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Sounds like the change was more than 14 days in advance, no compensation in that case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.