Seat Reservations

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2022, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Seat Reservations

Hello!

Please excuse me if this question has been answered already, but I didn't find
anything using the search function.

How reliable are seat reservations made while booking flights?
I'm going to fly FRA-DTW-LAX (on Delta) and LAX-AMS-FRA (on KLM), both booked on the KLM website and reserved my preferred seats then. Are they actually reserved until I check in, even if I do that at the airport (I have a bag to check and I really would like to get a paper boarding pass)? Is there a difference between Delta and KLM?
The seats are in Delta One/KLM World Business.

Sorry if the questions are stupid, but I'm really excited for this trip (first non-LCC trip which isn't a family vacation I didn't have to plan) and would really like to know I can enjoy the specific window seats I chose (notwithstanding possible aircraft changes etc) even with a relatively late check in.

Thank you!
Old Jul 16, 2022, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to FT.

Airlines may change your seat assignments for any reason at any time, so it's always a good idea to keep an eye on them.

However, in most instances your selection will stick until such time as you check in, regardless of when in the check-in window you do so.

Enjoy your flights.

Johan
Old Jul 16, 2022, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Thank you!

Just for my own peace of mind it'll help to know that if I don't end up in the seat I want to it wasn't my fault.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 4:37 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
I've never had a seat assignment change, save for two occasions:

1. Aircraft change - although even here often it was "change but not change" i.e. I had an eco comfort window and I retained an eco comfort window, just in a different row.

2. Upgrade

All other times, the one I preselected was the one I sat on unless I actively changed it.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by notsofrequenttraveller
Are they actually reserved until I check in, even if I do that at the airport (I have a bag to check and I really would like to get a paper boarding pass)?
Regardless of how/where/when you check in, you can always request a paper boarding pass from any check-in agent or self-service kiosk.

Wanting a paper boarding pass is not a reason to forego checking-in online or on the app.

I always ask for a paper boarding pass, but because I want to attach the luggage receipt to that rather than to my passport.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 6:08 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor
Its rare, and doesn't apply to OP, but I've had my seat changed a few times after picking an economy comfort seat at T-3 days when the curtain position is locked in on shorthaul, but they then for whatever reason move it again later bumping me back a row.

Oh, and checking in on line doesn't prevent you from getting a paper boarding pass at the counter or machine at the airport. I do that virtually every trip.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 6:27 am

I've definitely had my seat changed by AFKL more than once, including from eco comfort to a normal or exit row seat (for which a refund was given), but those instances have certainly been rare. For the most part if you select a seat it sticks until you change it.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Regardless of how/where/when you check in, you can always request a paper boarding pass from any check-in agent or self-service kiosk.

Wanting a paper boarding pass is not a reason to forego checking-in online or on the app.

I always ask for a paper boarding pass, but because I want to attach the luggage receipt to that rather than to my passport.
That's good to know, thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.