Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fares through the roof - how will this develop?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2022, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by splflyer
On a positive note for the passengers could be that flights are not completely full.
Some are for sure.

I was on a packed on the other day, on which day KLM was not offering a single seat in any class on any flight out of CPH. SK strike might have been a factor, but I have not seen more than a very small number of empty seats on any shorthaul flight to or from AMS I've taken since Easter at least.

Johan
Old Jul 9, 2022, 2:25 pm

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Originally Posted by splflyer
On a positive note for the passengers could be that flights are not completely full although many rebookings are taking place daily due to missed connections or cancelled flights.
And in all fairness those of us with privium/priority often dont have to suffer that much....
Well, I had 3 forced overnight stays in the last 2 weeks due to cancellations - and as a consequence, almost any flight I took was fully loaded with bounced passengers - on my LCY-AMS, OSL-AMS and FLR-AMS legs. The exception was Wed 6 July when a 745 am LCY-AMS flight was 30 % empty, but on that day no cancellations (yet).

Do agree though that for those having priority or privium that is a savior. You can pass all queues to the gates giving entrance to security - flash your Sky priority and an agent will let you through. From there things can be worse as in the past, but for now the worst thing I had was 30 minutes going through security and immigration to the NS KLM lounge.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 6:16 am

Programs: Flying Blue - Platinum Eurobonus -Silver
Same experience here. Checking prices for SCL and Mexico and not necessarily for Xmas. Coach prices are as a high as J was just before the pandemic. I spotted a LH J for SCL in the similar range than economy with KLM, but with an additional stop in the US and many extra hours. I almost went for it anyway.
Short haul in Europe is turning into a big no no. I fly from AMS, so of course I am sort of a captive audience…
Old Jul 25, 2022, 12:41 pm

Programs: A plethora of Platinum
As you're aware, many airlines in Europe are currently intentionally bumping up the ticket prices in order to ease the pressure on their operations as well as the local airports during the remainder of the summer.
I'm quite confident that the prices will stabilize come September/October but don't really see a return of the 20€ FR round-trip fares any time soon..

Do you need to travel to Brazil during peak season, or do you want to travel there?
Old Jul 25, 2022, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Storizontal Habilizer
As you're aware, many airlines in Europe are currently intentionally bumping up the ticket prices in order to ease the pressure on their operations as well as the local airports during the remainder of the summer.
OP was planning to travel in December, that's not exactly during the remainder of the summer.

Johan
hhdl likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 1:20 pm

Programs: A plethora of Platinum
Originally Posted by johan rebel
OP was planning to travel in December, that's not exactly during the remainder of the summer.

Johan
It's always summer in Brazil, no?

Just my two cents, but as mentioned above, I think the overall pricing situation will stabilize come September/October. With the world opening up after a long period of travel restrictions, many travellers are willing to cough out unfathomable sums of money right now just to get to see their friends and family, or to enjoy a vacation. And the airlines are happy to oblige and take their cut.

Whether or not OP will find a better deal for Brazil by waiting a few weeks to book the trip is however impossible to say without a crystal ball.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If summer is perpetual, then the remainder will last for ever.

Johan
Old Jul 25, 2022, 2:06 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

Just my two cents, but as mentioned above, I think the overall pricing situation will stabilize come September/October. With the world opening up after a long period of travel restrictions, many travellers are willing to cough out unfathomable sums of money right now just to get to see their friends and family, or to enjoy a vacation. And the airlines are happy to oblige and take their cut.

Whether or not OP will find a better deal for Brazil by waiting a few weeks to book the trip is however impossible to say without a crystal ball.
Late December is summer in Brazil. Early December is late spring.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Late December is summer in Brazil. Early December is late spring.
Debatable. I doubt any people besides meteorologists and their ilk think that the December solstice marks the beginning of the austral summer.

Johan
Old Jul 25, 2022, 2:59 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Misplaced doubts have their place.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Misplaced doubts have their place.
And your point is?

You do realize the OP is concerned about ticket prices to Brazil in December, and in all likelihood doesn't give a hoot about which part of that month is or is not considered summer in your opinion? Splitting hairs doesn't bring fares down.

Johan
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 12:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by johan rebel
You do realize the OP is concerned about ticket prices to Brazil in December, and in all likelihood doesn't give a hoot about which part of that month is or is not considered summer in your opinion?
Indeed, the purpose of the trip is a family reunion for Christmas - that it happens to be warm there while it will likely be cold back in NL is a positive side effect.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 1:08 am

Summer in the Southern hemisphere is December-March. Same in Brazil. Christmas is peak season (together with carnival) for fares. Fares were low to SA earlier in 2022 but now I don't see them coming down by much so I would look for alternatives to KL.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 2:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, VS Gold, FB Plat
Originally Posted by erik123
Summer in the Southern hemisphere is December-March. Same in Brazil. Christmas is peak season (together with carnival) for fares. Fares were low to SA earlier in 2022 but now I don't see them coming down by much so I would look for alternatives to KL.
Some beautiful eur 1.1k fares in biz with SA from AMS to the South America's, including Brazil.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 3:35 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum for Life, AccorLiveLimitless Platinum, Qatar Airways Gold
In an article today on luchtvaartnieuws.nl the Dutch Minister of infrastructure says the reduction of flights from 500.000 to 440.000 from Schiphol is to eliminate price sensitive transfer pax. If you ask me, I guess the airlines need those pax to have a profitable network.

Im sure this step wont make the direct flights any cheaper in the future.
mpkz likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.