Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMS non-Schengen to non-Schengen connection: Process?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2022, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage LT GLD 1.806MM
AMS non-Schengen to non-Schengen connection: Process?

Hello,

I’ve been following the news of the mess at AMS lately, and it’s got me thinking about how this might impact me on an upcoming trip. I’ve looked at AMS airport and KLM websites, but neither has the info I am looking for. This is my first time connecting in AMS.

I’ll be flying IAH-AMS-SIN with a 6.5 hour connection in AMS. Since this connection is non-Schengen to non-Schengen, what procedures do I need to go thru to make the connection? Will I need to go thru security or immigration (I don’t think this applies to my situation) to get to the SIN flight? If security screening is needed, roughly what should I expect for wait times? Should 6.5 hours be difficult for the connection?

Thank you in advance for any guidance!
Old Jun 5, 2022, 4:53 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by AAMCI
Hello,

I’ve been following the news of the mess at AMS lately, and it’s got me thinking about how this might impact me on an upcoming trip. I’ve looked at AMS airport and KLM websites, but neither has the info I am looking for. This is my first time connecting in AMS.

I’ll be flying IAH-AMS-SIN with a 6.5 hour connection in AMS. Since this connection is non-Schengen to non-Schengen, what procedures do I need to go thru to make the connection? Will I need to go thru security or immigration (I don’t think this applies to my situation) to get to the SIN flight? If security screening is needed, roughly what should I expect for wait times? Should 6.5 hours be difficult for the connection?

Thank you in advance for any guidance!
IAH is considered "clean" so your connection will be:

1. Step off plane
​​​​​​2. Check screens/app/etc. for SIN gate
3. Walk to gate, stopping at lounge/restaurant/shops as appropriate
4. Board plane to SIN

No security or immigration.

Edit: poxy FT text box does not work on mobile...
Old Jun 6, 2022, 3:30 am

Programs: Delta GM; FB Plat; HHonors Diamond; Hertz PC; National EE
On the way back, you will be subject to security screening coming off from the SIN-AMS flight, as SIN is not a trusted origin airport.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage LT GLD 1.806MM
Originally Posted by roelb
On the way back, you will be subject to security screening coming off from the SIN-AMS flight, as SIN is not a trusted origin airport.
Thank you for the information. Fortunately, I will be flying back via SQ on SIN-SFO to the US (then connecting to domestic flight back to DFW), so the security screening in AMS on the SIN-AMS route is not a concern for me. This is good information for anyone else that might be flying that same route.

Thanks!
Old Jun 6, 2022, 6:58 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by roelb
SIN is on the EU trusted list. So in principle pax arriving from SIN should be able to enter right into secure concourse. I do not have any personal experience though.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 9:32 am

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
SIN is on the EU trusted list. So in principle pax arriving from SIN should be able to enter right into secure concourse. I do not have any personal experience though.
Singapore passports are no longer eligible for the e-gates at passport control at AMS. That’s a recent change. Anyone knows why?
Old Jun 6, 2022, 1:09 pm

Programs: Flying Blue PFL; IHG Rewards Club Diamond; HHonors Silver
Was/is it not the case that the SIN-AMS flight originated at DPS, and this is why the flight was not "clean"?
Old Jun 6, 2022, 1:19 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, BA Bronze, Ex-skywards Platnium
Thank you for the information. Fortunately, I will be flying back via SQ on SIN-SFO to the US (then connecting to domestic flight back to DFW), so the security screening in AMS on the SIN-AMS route is not a concern for me. This is good information for anyone else that might be flying that same route.

Thanks!
You'll get off at G gates and then go to your gate to SFO. If you have time, you can stop by the Crown Lounge for a shower or grab a quick bite as well. AMS is probably one of the best places for a non-schengen to non-schengen transfer
Old Jun 6, 2022, 2:05 pm

Programs: Delta GM; FB Plat; HHonors Diamond; Hertz PC; National EE
SIN is on the EU trusted list.
Didn't know that. I stand corrected..
Old Jun 6, 2022, 9:12 pm
zmb

Programs: DL Gold Medallion, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Sjoerd
Singapore passports are no longer eligible for the e-gates at passport control at AMS. That’s a recent change. Anyone knows why?
​​​​​​When I had a long layover in May and opted to go in the city, only EU/EEA/CH passports could use the entrance eGates.

US and other countries were able to use them on exit though.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 2:41 am

Originally Posted by Ardecos
Was/is it not the case that the SIN-AMS flight originated at DPS, and this is why the flight was not "clean"?
If the flight is coming from DPS and the pax are not re-screened in SIN then yes, the whole flight would not be clean.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 4:07 pm

Programs: Flying Blue silver

Thanks!
Why all these posts about SIN - AMS being clean and about G gates where pax gets off after the SIN-AMS flight? OP clearly says that after the transfer IAH - AMS - SIN, that's it. OP flies home SIN - SFO- DFW, and will not do that via AMS. One can open a new thread about flying SIN - AMS of course, but it has nothing to do with OP's question
hhdl likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 12:52 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by hhdl
IAH is considered "clean" so your connection will be:

1. Step off plane
​​​​​​2. Check screens/app/etc. for SIN gate
3. Walk to gate, stopping at lounge/restaurant/shops as appropriate
4. Board plane to SIN

No security or immigration.

Edit: poxy FT text box does not work on mobile...
Does anyone know where I can find a list of "clean" airports please? I am connecting at AMS (HKG - AMS - LHR on CX and BA) and was wondering whether hhdl 's description still applies. Many thanks
Old Jun 8, 2022, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by tourguide
Why all these posts about SIN - AMS being clean and about G gates where pax gets off after the SIN-AMS flight? OP clearly says that after the transfer IAH - AMS - SIN, that's it. OP flies home SIN - SFO- DFW, and will not do that via AMS. One can open a new thread about flying SIN - AMS of course, but it has nothing to do with OP's question
OP said SIN is not a trusted origin airport, I corrected them. That's all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.