Wiki Posts
Search

KLM & EU261 Claims

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2022, 4:22 am
formerly JackDann
Original Poster

KLM & EU261 Claims

Does anybody know how long KLM are taking to turnaround EU261 claims. Just want to get a rough idea. I know other airlines can take an absolute age and i'm not too sure on what their legal obligations are in regards to turnaround time.
Old May 25, 2022, 5:07 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JackDann
Does anybody know how long KLM are taking to turnaround EU261 claims. Just want to get a rough idea. I know other airlines can take an absolute age and i'm not too sure on what their legal obligations are in regards to turnaround time.
7 days is the legal maximum. I've seen KLM react well within that time, as a Platinum member though, so for other passengers this may be different.
Ursa81 likes this.
Old May 25, 2022, 5:17 am
formerly JackDann
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mfkne
7 days is the legal maximum. I've seen KLM react well within that time, as a Platinum member though, so for other passengers this may be different.
Ah. Not good. It’s been a month.
Old May 25, 2022, 6:11 am

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
About 7 weeks for my recent claim. I got an email that they will transfer €250 soon, followed by an actual transfer of €125…… so I will need to put in another claim…..
Ursa81 likes this.
Old May 25, 2022, 12:54 pm

Programs: BA KL
I've been waiting 6 weeks since making a claim in mid April. No progress yet.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 8:20 am

Programs: BA KL
This seems very ambitious, given that other EU 261 claims lodged with KLM are taking at least 6-8 weeks to resolve https://nltimes.nl/2022/06/06/klm-wa...ms-within-week
irishguy28 and Squerez like this.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They'll have a zillion new claims to deal with after Saturday's disaster, and since they have publicly promised to process those within seven days, all other claims will most likely be put on the back burner.

Johan
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 6:39 am

Programs: QF Gold, FB Plat, Accor Diamond, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold – ex-UA 1k, ex-AA Plat, ex IHG Plat
I had a claim submitted on 31MAY that came back yesterday with the very approximate and vague language. I was +4 hours late in SIN, where the problem was mechanical (per the FA &pilot). The flight has been late every single day for the past 5 days. Not sure what is going on, but KLM does not hesitate to lie to have folks drop off their claims... However, it took 7 days to get an answer

I am sorry to learn of the inconveniences you were caused as a result of flight KLXXX [redacted] being delayed due to [SIC] due to Air Traffic Control restrictions.

For our airline, one of, if not the major performance indicator, is on-time delivery. The ability to adhere to a published schedule is an important ingredient of any airline product. The delay of a flight, however rare, is therefore a major frustration to our aim of providing passengers with the reliable service they demand.

Decisions made by Air Traffic Control affecting the departure and arrival time of a particular aircraft on a particular day which results in a long delay, an overnight delay, or the cancellation of one or more flights operated by that aircraft, are considered as extraordinary circumstances which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken. Accordingly, no compensation is due in such case. I regret any disappointment that this may cause.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 11:24 pm
formerly JackDann
Original Poster

My Claim was raised on 25th April and not heard a single thing back.

As the ticket was purchased in the UK does anyone know if I can take this to Small Claims Court / MCOL?

6 Weeks without even an acknowledgement is too long.
smartytravel likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 2:12 am

I am now hearing from several friends who are receiving emails from KLM informing them they will receive €125 for a clear-cut EU261 case: European flight canceled <14 days, no alternative available that leaves max. 2 hours earlier or arrives max. 4 hours later.

I myself received an email in which KLM informed me that I would receive €250, followed by an actual transfer of €125. Of course I appealed - no reply yet.

Are there any circumstances in which KLM can pay less than the amounts listed in EU261? Or are they just hoping that passengers won’t bother to claim the other half of the amount they are entitled to?
johan rebel and irishguy28 like this.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 2:14 am

My Claim was raised on 25th April and not heard a single thing back.

As the ticket was purchased in the UK does anyone know if I can take this to Small Claims Court / MCOL?

6 Weeks without even an acknowledgement is too long.
As a data point: a friend who raised a claim on 8th April received an email from KLM yesterday.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 2:24 am
formerly JackDann
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sjoerd
I am now hearing from several friends who are receiving emails from KLM informing them they will receive €125 for a clear-cut EU261 case: European flight canceled <14 days, no alternative available that leaves max. 2 hours earlier or arrives max. 4 hours later.

I myself received an email in which KLM informed me that I would receive €250, followed by an actual transfer of €125. Of course I appealed - no reply yet.

Are there any circumstances in which KLM can pay less than the amounts listed in EU261? Or are they just hoping that passengers won’t bother to claim the other half of the amount they are entitled to?
Does anyone know if KLM have a UK Address? It looks like the answer is no, and therefore i'd be unable to start the process of taking them to a small claims court.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Sjoerd
any explanation as to their thinking in cutting the amount in half from €250 down to €125?

Or is that glossed over in the hope that most people will assume this is all they are entitled to?
johan rebel and mpkz like this.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 2:31 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
any explanation as to their thinking in cutting the amount in half from €250 down to €125?

Or is that glossed over in the hope that most people will assume this is all they are entitled to?
No explanation whatsoever.
irishguy28 likes this.

Last edited by Sjoerd; Jun 8, 2022 at 2:43 am
Old Jun 8, 2022, 2:50 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Does anyone know if KLM have a UK Address? It looks like the answer is no, and therefore i'd be unable to start the process of taking them to a small claims court.
https://find-and-update.company-info...mpany/BR000396
JD1905 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.