Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight cancellation 6 months in advance !

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2022, 1:50 am
Original Poster

Flight cancellation 6 months in advance !

l have tickets Humberside - Amsterdam - Mexico in OCTOBER 2022.
I have just had an email notification that my 10.00 departure from Humberside has been cancelled, and that I have been rebooked on the 06.10 (deep joy!).
I'm not sure what has caused this change, but there is already a much reduced timetable into Humberside from Amsterdam, it looks bleak if they are further dropping the 10.00 flight in favour of the 06.10.

06.10 departure time means getting there at 05.00, so leaving home at 04.15, and of course I get an extra 4 hours in the lounge at Schiphol to look forward to making it a VERY long day.

I'm not impressed.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
They would probably move your departure (to MAN, or somewhere else that you deem convenient) if you asked, or carry you on the afternoon flight the day before if you don't mind making a night of it in Amsterdam before hitting Mexico. I can't see them booking you on Aeromexico's night flight from AMS-MEX (if indeed it is scheduled, or remains scheduled, for your date of travel) but no harm in ringing up and asking, right? Given your status you'd be contacting them on the Platinum line so they may have more discretion on what they can offer, but again I don't want to get your hopes up.

Don't forget you can cancel the ticket if it really no longer suits.
mpkz likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 3:05 pm

Programs: Flying Blue silver
Your flight is still 6-7 months away. KLM is slowly getting back and increasing frequencies again to the UK airports. At the moment, there is only 1 service to Humberside. This will be increased to 2 services per day and that is what is scheduled now for October. One flight early morning and one flights late afternoon. The decision for the new timings depends on lots of things. They may foresee demand for customers who travel in one day to Amsterdam and back for business, those tickets earn more revenue than tickets connecting via Amsterdam to other destinations like Mexico.Your flights are still far away, if all goes well KL may have increased to 3 flights a day and your connection looks nicer again. Or maybe we have another corona outbreak and Humberside will see no flights at all....who knows. Maybe Leeds Bradford is an alternative? There is in October a daily flight at 10:05 which connects perfectly with the flight to Mexico. I understand your disappointment and not looking forward to getting up early and a few hours more waiting in AMS. But you will survive. Have a good trip to Mexico in October
Old Mar 29, 2022, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by irishguy28
They would probably move your departure (to MAN, or somewhere else that you deem convenient) if you asked, or carry you on the afternoon flight the day before if you don't mind making a night of it in Amsterdam before hitting Mexico. I can't see them booking you on Aeromexico's night flight from AMS-MEX (if indeed it is scheduled, or remains scheduled, for your date of travel) but no harm in ringing up and asking, right? Given your status you'd be contacting them on the Platinum line so they may have more discretion on what they can offer, but again I don't want to get your hopes up.

Don't forget you can cancel the ticket if it really no longer suits.
KLM should have no issue with the AM flight. They codeshare on it. They can book it as a KL codeshare even. I've had no issue in past being rebooked on it by KL. (DL won't do it, but KL agents will)
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 4:06 am
Original Poster

The flights were booked, primarily because of the good timings, i.e. 10.am departure, a sensible connection time in the lounge at AMS, and onwards to MEX. The 10am flight was available at the time of booking, now it's been canned.

Now we have to leave for just after 4am, for a 06.10 departure, and then a 6 hour transfer in Schiphol before the long leg to Mexico, albeit in J.

I used to do this route a lot, and am taking my wife to see some of the sights around Mexico city before 2 weeks in either Cancun or Acapulco, but she is less than impressed with the new schedule.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by tezzer
The flights were booked, primarily because of the good timings, i.e. 10.am departure, a sensible connection time in the lounge at AMS, and onwards to MEX. The 10am flight was available at the time of booking, now it's been canned.

Now we have to leave for just after 4am, for a 06.10 departure, and then a 6 hour transfer in Schiphol before the long leg to Mexico, albeit in J.

I used to do this route a lot, and am taking my wife to see some of the sights around Mexico city before 2 weeks in either Cancun or Acapulco, but she is less than impressed with the new schedule.
Ask about departing in afternoon and using the KL codeshare on AM. Shouldn't be an issue to get rebooked.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 4:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Ask about departing in afternoon and using the KL codeshare on AM. Shouldn't be an issue to get rebooked.
Will look at the timings, but the evening HUY-AMS doesn't leave ti 17.15 (I think)
Old Mar 30, 2022, 5:01 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
AM leaves around 10 pm if I remember right.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by tezzer
Will look at the timings, but the evening HUY-AMS doesn't leave ti 17.15 (I think)
AM leaves 2230 or 2330 somewhere around that time.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 4:04 am
Original Poster

As per elsewhere, they have just cancelled my 15.30 back from AMS-HUY and rebooked on the 21.20, which would give me 10 hours in AMS on the way back, ideal after a 10.30 flight from MEX to AMS.

I've got them to rebook into and out of Leeds, as THEIR flights are still running and with sensible timings too !
Old Jul 2, 2022, 7:46 am

Programs: Flying Blue silver
Yes, now that both out from and into HUY are rubbish, it is time to suggest LBA to KL. As long as there are still seats on those flights, i would try to replace Humberside by Leeds. And still, if that works, nothing is for sure and October is still 3 months away. Good luck
Old Jul 2, 2022, 3:31 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
You're missing out. HUY has the only Aspire Lounge in the UK that isn't a total cesspool!
Old Jul 5, 2022, 6:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
You're missing out. HUY has the only Aspire Lounge in the UK that isn't a total cesspool!
I like the lounge at HUY, but the flight times are rotten, and a 6 hour wait outbound, and a 9 hour wait in AMS on the way back negates me from using it unfortunately. Its a shame as it's a 25 mile drive from home, as opposed to 90 minutes to LBA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.