Wiki Posts
Search

KLM/Delta baggage

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2022, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

KLM/Delta baggage

Hi all,

I booked my flight with KLM for next month flying Stockholm to Seattle via Amsterdam. Turns out Amsterdam to Seattle is with Delta. I originally booked with no bags as I was due to be silver by this trip but plans changed. I will now make silver following my return flight.

Currently I can't add bags until check in and neither airline will give me the price, passing me back and forth or saying I'll have to pay at check in. Just wondering does anyone know a way around this or even how much it might cost?
Old Mar 26, 2022, 5:09 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
You booked it through KLM ? or a 3rd party website like an OTA ?

To buy your bag you need to reach the marketing airline or entity who sold you ticket . If that doesnt work , try to reach the customer support by phone and ask for help

If none works then go to KL sales office at ARN and give a try either now or before check-in
Old Mar 26, 2022, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fifty_two
You booked it through KLM ? or a 3rd party website like an OTA ?

To buy your bag you need to reach the marketing airline or entity who sold you ticket . If that doesnt work , try to reach the customer support by phone and ask for help

If none works then go to KL sales office at ARN and give a try either now or before check-in
I booked directly with KLM and have spoken to both KLM and Delta over the phone and neither were able to give me an answer.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 7:30 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Originally Posted by millikins88
I booked directly with KLM and have spoken to both KLM and Delta over the phone and neither were able to give me an answer.
ok , so one option left = KL sales office at ARN

I tried to make a simulation but it doesnt work = "Unfortunately, it is not possible to buy additional baggage online for this flight, as it is operated by another airline. Please do so during online check-in"

When booking a AMS-SEA from DL , i get a quote for €60.00 , so you can , at least , expect something around or over this price

Last edited by fifty_two; Mar 26, 2022 at 7:38 pm
Old Mar 28, 2022, 3:01 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
The bag price when buying at the airport is supposed to be 2x the price, but the increase is waived in case of not being able to buy online. Which is common on codeshares.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
What marketing is your 1st flight ARN-AMS? Is it KL, or DL?

If KL, then KLM bag allowance and fees apply for all flights, including return. US law requires the same policy, allowance (excluding elite/credit card waivers/), and fees apply throughout out (OLCI discounts are just considered a discount during checkin just like elite waiver)

DL hasnt till recently hasn't done self tagging and thus they don't offer discounts for paying early.. Whatever the KLM normal fee is,, is what will be charged.. You can pay that fee during OLCI to DL, but there's no incentive to do so.

Basically you'll pay DL whatever KLM policy says is the standard fee. There's no discount available.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 1:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
What marketing is your 1st flight ARN-AMS? Is it KL, or DL?

If KL, then KLM bag allowance and fees apply for all flights, including return. US law requires the same policy, allowance (excluding elite/credit card waivers/), and fees apply throughout out (OLCI discounts are just considered a discount during checkin just like elite waiver)

DL hasnt till recently hasn't done self tagging and thus they don't offer discounts for paying early.. Whatever the KLM normal fee is,, is what will be charged.. You can pay that fee during OLCI to DL, but there's no incentive to do so.

Basically you'll pay DL whatever KLM policy says is the standard fee. There's no discount available.
So I rang KLM this morning AGAIN as I was finally able to check in. Going Stockholm to Seattle both flights are listed as KL and they want €100 for the suitcase 1 way but the website says €50. I'm so confused.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by millikins88
So I rang KLM this morning AGAIN as I was finally able to check in. Going Stockholm to Seattle both flights are listed as KL and they want €100 for the suitcase 1 way but the website says €50. I'm so confused.
Are you sure you're looking at EU-US and not EU-EU bag fees?
Old Sep 23, 2022, 8:27 am

Hi millikins88 - could you update how much you ended up having to pay for the checked bags? I'm in the same situation
Old Sep 26, 2022, 9:47 pm

Hey All,
I have bought Lite KLM fare with no checked bag. But I am Elite Plus through ITA.
Am i Not entitled to the elite extra baggage allowance (just like LH lite)?
Old Sep 27, 2022, 1:52 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by terbangalways
Hey All,
I have bought Lite KLM fare with no checked bag. But I am Elite Plus through ITA.
You are. Show your status at the checkin desk and you will get the bag for free.
b12e likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 1:54 am

Programs: FB Plat (Y3), All Accor Gold (Y2)
Originally Posted by terbangalways
Hey All,
Extra baggage allowance for Elite(+) is a Skyteam benefit, so it should also apply for ITA STE+ members. KLM does not restrict this benefit to specific fare classes, so you should be good to go.

Edit: damn, Fabo.sk beat me to it
Old Sep 27, 2022, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
You are. Show your status at the checkin desk and you will get the bag for free.
Originally Posted by b12e
Extra baggage allowance for Elite(+) is a Skyteam benefit, so it should also apply for ITA STE+ members. KLM does not restrict this benefit to specific fare classes, so you should be good to go.
Edit: damn, Fabo.sk beat me to it
Thanks Both!
Old Sep 30, 2022, 4:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AF-KL Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Silver
Hey guys,

I was thinking of starting a new thread but thought I'd add my question here if that's okay.

I booked a flight with KLM (LHR-ORD via AMS and MIA-LHR via ATL) all in one PNR. I am a FB Silver as well. My question is, the MIA- LHR segment is operated by DL under fare class 'V' main cabin even if I booked a 'Light' ticket through KLM. Upon checking my trip on DL's website, it says that I am entitled to 2x23kgs baggage. Is this true? This information is not reflected on KL's website and my outbound only shows 1x23kgs as a Silver member. The ticket is a KLM e-ticket

Thanks guys
Old Sep 30, 2022, 6:50 am

FWIW - I also found this thread that seems to say each extra checked baggage would be charged 50-60 EUR (which I think is the same as what's published on KLM website). If anyone can confirm with a more recent experience, please let me know. Thanks!

Search this thread on Tripadvisor: "Which_baggage_fee_do_I_pay_KLM_AF_Delta-Air_Travel.html"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.