Wiki Posts
Search

No more masks from 23 March

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2022, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EuroBonus, FlyingBlue Gold
No more masks from 23 March

Looks like KLM is finally scrapping masking from Wednesday next week. https://www.rtlnieuws.nl/nieuws/nede...-corona-regels
Goldorak, the810, mlin32 and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 1:07 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Really good news. It's about time we move to sensible epidemiological policy instead of politicized ineffective virtue signaling worn on faces.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hallelujah!

Those who consider themselves at risk for some reason, as well as those who insist on woke virtue signalling are more than welcome to continue wearing masks, just leave the rest of us alone.

Last week I was on a longhaul flight where about half the pax in J didn't wear a mask, despite the rules in force. The vast majority of people can't stand the things, and support has visibly been flagging as airlines become the last mask mandate outposts.

Johan.
tgsh2006, the810, mlin32 and 9 others like this.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 2:28 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
I didn't see it discussed in the article, but I assume they will still require masks on flights to/from countries that still require them (USA, Italy)? But hopefully with little to no enforcement? Meanwhile here in the US I recently saw a family thrown off a flight because their 2 year old would not keep a mask on.

Last year I was hoping we could all switch over from face masks to armbands, but that never caught on...
Old Mar 15, 2022, 2:55 pm

As I understand it they will simply stop policing the use of masks, but if your destination requires it (and this is also true for the Netherlands still) you'll still be required to put it on once you exit the plane.
the810 likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EuroBonus, FlyingBlue Gold
Originally Posted by CyBeR
As I understand it they will simply stop policing the use of masks, but if your destination requires it (and this is also true for the Netherlands still) you'll still be required to put it on once you exit the plane.
Technically you are right, but KLM will ask the government to stop enforcing masks on planes altogether, and I’m sure that the government will be more than happy to remove the requirement at airports.
the810 likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by NLNO
Technically you are right, but KLM will ask the government to stop enforcing masks on planes altogether, and I’m sure that the government will be more than happy to remove the requirement at airports.
They've been asking this for weeks already and the government seems to think that there is an EU requirement for it so I wouldn't hold my breath on that just yet.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the government seems to think that there is an EU requirement for it.
Is there?
the810 likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 4:49 pm

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
There isn’t, and this quote from UpInTheSky makes the ministry look bad:

De reden die gegeven wordt is dat de mondkapjes vanwege Europese regelgeving in vliegtuigen verplicht gedragen moeten worden. “De Europese luchtvaartorganisatie EASA beveelt het dragen van mondkapjes in het vliegtuig momenteel sterk aan: strictly recommended. Dat is meer dan een advies. In vrijwel alle Europese landen moeten passagiers een mondkapje dragen. Nederland volgt die lijn”, laat een woordvoerder van het ministerie van Volksgezondheid weten aan Up in the Sky.

Last edited by mfkne; Mar 16, 2022 at 12:21 am
Old Mar 15, 2022, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by johan rebel
Is there?
KLM, who I would assume has extensive experience dealing with EASA and ICAO on account of what their core business is, disagrees with the government on that, and I'm inclined to believe them.
the810 likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by mfkne
It isn’t, and this quote from UpInTheSky makes the ministry look bad:
Ah yes so the Dutch policy is "everyone else is doing it so we must do it too".

Love that.
the810 likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ah yes so the Dutch policy is "everyone else is doing it so we must do it too".
But not everyone else is.

Sweden, for one, has never had a mask mandate at anytime or anywhere, including commercial aircraft.

Johan
the810 and KLBGO like this.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 4:42 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton and Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Plat, United Silver, Hertz PC
Hurray, flying them for the first time on the 24th.
johan rebel, the810 and offvoice like this.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 8:09 am

Are they very strict with masks now? I have an upcoming flight on March 19
Old Mar 16, 2022, 10:28 am

So if I fly KLM from the US to AMS, will I be able to take my mask off once I'm onboard or will I have to wear it the entire duration of the flight just because it departed from the US? If the former, I am changing all of my flights on US carriers this summer to KLM/BA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.