Community
Wiki Posts
Search

KLM 2 person cockpit rule

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2021, 5:23 am
Original Poster

KLM 2 person cockpit rule

Does anybody know what KLM policy is around the 2 person cockpit rule.

I know this was implemented after germanwings but not sure if they still have it in place? A lot of European airlines got rid.

How would they prevent an incident like this happening again without this policy?
hugolover likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2021, 5:56 am

Programs: Flying Blue - Platinum
Could still be in place, but it isn't often enforced.
Old Feb 4, 2021, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jheap
Does anybody know what KLM policy is around the 2 person cockpit rule.
Ask me if I care.

I'm far more likely to be killed by lightning or a falling coconut than by a lunatic pilot gone berserk.

None of those are risks I'm going to lose a wink of sleep over.

Johan
Old Feb 4, 2021, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by johan rebel
Ask me if I care.

I'm far more likely to be killed by lightning or a falling coconut than by a lunatic pilot gone berserk.

None of those are risks I'm going to lose a wink of sleep over.

Johan
Appreciate your point of view but I'm not the most confident flyer and was hopeful to get an answer to my question.

Thank you
Yolow and DC9 like this.
Old Feb 4, 2021, 7:32 am

The 2 persons in the cockpit rule was in place for approximately one year after the Eurowings incident. After carrying out a risk assessment, KLM decided to remove the rule.

It was felt that forcing a Cabin Attendant to stay in the cockpit while one of the pilots (for example) visited the lavatory did not offer any safety benefit and in some cases might even affect flight safety negatively.
splflyer likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2021, 7:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by maxcontinuousthrust
The 2 persons in the cockpit rule was in place for approximately one year after the Eurowings incident. After carrying out a risk assessment, KLM decided to remove the rule.

It was felt that forcing a Cabin Attendant to stay in the cockpit while one of the pilots (for example) visited the lavatory did not offer any safety benefit and in some cases might even affect flight safety negatively.
This sounds like accountant speak for "it cost money", but I am not sure that stacks up either. Yet, having someone else in the cockpit prevents the situation of one person restricting access to others.
I appreciate a determined member of cabin crew could incapacitate the remaining pilot but if they were that determined, they could do this during the 30 minute check?
Old Feb 4, 2021, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
This sounds like accountant speak for "it cost money", but I am not sure that stacks up either. Yet, having someone else in the cockpit prevents the situation of one person restricting access to others.
I appreciate a determined member of cabin crew could incapacitate the remaining pilot but if they were that determined, they could do this during the 30 minute check?
I don't quite understand your point about not having a Cabin Attendant stepping out of the cabin to sit on the flight deck for a few minutes would "cost money". This certainly wasn't the deciding factor in withdrawing the guideline.

Without going into too much detail, the risk assessment carried out in conjunction with the Dutch CAA found that there was little benefit to having a CA on the flight deck, and it was therefore withdrawn.
the810 likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2021, 8:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
I don't quite understand your point about not having a Cabin Attendant stepping out of the cabin to sit on the flight deck for a few minutes would "cost money". This certainly wasn't the deciding factor in withdrawing the guideline.

Without going into too much detail, the risk assessment carried out in conjunction with the Dutch CAA found that there was little benefit to having a CA on the flight deck, and it was therefore withdrawn.
Succinctly, there is little benefit to having black boxes on almost all flights, but then every so often, the benefit is almost immeasurable.
seenitall, downinit and Spanish like this.
Old Feb 4, 2021, 8:24 am
Original Poster

From what I understand Air France still has the rule, did KLM definitely get rid of it? Can't find any press releases like when Luthfansa stopped it
Old Feb 4, 2021, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
Succinctly, there is little benefit to having black boxes on almost all flights, but then every so often, the benefit is almost immeasurable.
The major difference being that bolting a black box on the rear of the aircraft doesn't increase risk. I'll let you think about that.

Originally Posted by Jheap
From what I understand Air France still has the rule, did KLM definitely get rid of it? Can't find any press releases like when Luthfansa stopped it
KLM definitely got rid of the 2 person rule, as stated above.
Security is a sensitive issue, which is probably why there was no press release at the time.
Old Feb 4, 2021, 9:10 am
Original Poster

The major difference being that bolting a black box on the rear of the aircraft doesn't increase risk. I'll let you think about that.

KLM definitely got rid of the 2 person rule, as stated above.
Security is a sensitive issue, which is probably why there was no press release at the time.
Thanks for the response, seems a strange decision.

How would KLM prevent a scenario like the Germanwings incident then do you know?

Or would there be quite simply no way around it would?
Old Feb 4, 2021, 11:04 am

I know practically nothing about flying an aircraft, but if a skilled pilot were to intentionally engage in an extreme maneuver intended to bring down the plane, is there really anything a flight attendant could do to reverse course in time? I would imagine there are at least a few scenarios where even a highly skilled pilot would be unable to recover in time. Fortunately, these incidents are very few and far between, and definitely not something to waste one second worrying about. It does reinforce the need to ensure that pilots are well-rested and compensated fairly (especially for low-fare and RJ), along with periodic wellness checks.
Old Feb 4, 2021, 11:44 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Here in the US (maybe in Europe) having two people in the cockpit started after 9/11 with the locked cockpit doors. Can't exactly have one pilot up there and have him/her have to get up to let the other pilot back in. When all that was set, it was a big PITA to get used to, but like all things. flight crews adapted.

And like some of the sentiments here, I don't think there are too many F/A's around who could stop me from crashing the airplane if I wanted to.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2021, 5:46 pm
Original Member

Programs: United, Hilton
Remember, the extra person is not there to stop the pilot from doing anything, they are there to open the door if something goes wrong. For example, what if one pilot is out using the bathroom and the other single person in the cockpit has a medical event?
Old Feb 4, 2021, 8:31 pm

Everyone should be much more worried about a heat seeking ordinance fired at a commercial plane that was incorrectly identified as a threat. This has happens way more often.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.