Wiki Posts
Search

In-flight Catering Drastically Pared Back

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2020, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by palmanfr
Well, the Netherlands is a country where the GP's don't accept to see any patients nowadays.
Are you kidding me? So what are all those GPs doing?

Johan
palmanfr likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 12:36 am

Programs: EuroBonus, FlyingBlue Gold
Originally Posted by johan rebel

Johan
My GP is seeing patients - just not if it is corona related and you just have normal symptoms. Then you can call the government directly and they will test you and deal with it. For other diseases and problems you can certainly make an appointment.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 4:25 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat, BA Gold, A3 Gold, IHG Diamond, MR Gold, HH Diamond, ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by NLNO
My GP is seeing patients - just not if it is corona related and you just have normal symptoms. Then you can call the government directly and they will test you and deal with it. For other diseases and problems you can certainly make an appointment.
Well, that was not the case at my GP practice in Maastricht. And indeed, my issues were not Corona related. Fortunately, my GP called me back this morning following my call to the practice yesterday morning. The "consultation" happened over the phone, and I am getting a prescription medicine to pick up tomorrow at the local pharmacy. Also, I will have a blood test to do at the practice next week. But looks like the practice is closed for consultations. After discussing with a couple friends of mine, one got an appointment next week without issues after being asked if she had Coronavirus symptoms. For another friend, the GP practice was also closed with "Phone consultations" only. After doing a quick google search yesterday, it seems that many "huisarts" practices are closed or do phone appointments only - they don't want to see patients I hope my KLM crew this week will not have fear of flying - you never know.
At least in France you can still go to the GP wearing a mask... After being 5 years in NL, there are a lot of things I like and enjoy about this country, but the medical system in place, at least at the first screening stage, is not one of those !
EDIT : I can actually go and pick up my prescription medicine at the pharmacy this afternoon...

Last edited by palmanfr; Jun 9, 2020 at 4:30 am
Old Jun 9, 2020, 5:22 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL

Johan
Don't need to see the patient to suggest Paracetamol, do you?

But in all seriousness, a lot of what GPs do does not actually require personal contact. Phone consultation as primary means of first contact is IMO valid in the current situation.
palmanfr and Thysk like this.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 5:46 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat, BA Gold, A3 Gold, IHG Diamond, MR Gold, HH Diamond, ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Don't need to see the patient to suggest Paracetamol, do you?
Looks like you have been living in this country ! NL's number 1 drug, widely available everywhere and for every purposes really...

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
But in all seriousness, a lot of what GPs do does not actually require personal contact. Phone consultation as primary means of first contact is IMO valid in the current situation.
Fine in most of the cases I agree, but I would have appreciated actually getting checked by my GP, especially when explaining the situation - in English - where some things are hard to show or explain over the phone. Anyway, at least she was nice and she called me back, I was not really positive about actually receiving a call back when the secretary told me that "the doctor will call you back tomorrow" honestly - it happened to me quite a lot with many companies here...
Old Jun 9, 2020, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by palmanfr
but the medical system in place, at least at the first screening stage, is not one of those !
Don't even think about moving to Sweden, then!

Johan
palmanfr and Thysk like this.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Toilets, tray tables and seats will be cleaned at all outstations (I infer that that was not the case earlier - yuck!)
I doubt there was an airline anywhere in the world that cleaned tray tables and seats at outstations. There were very few that even did this between flights at their hub.

Clearing rubbish and debris was all that was previously required. Now, surfaces have to be cleaned and disinfected.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
I doubt there was an airline anywhere in the world that cleaned tray tables and seats at outstations. There were very few that even did this between flights at their hub.
The first thing I do after boarding a longhaul flight is check that everything works. Does the seat go fully flat, IFE work, tray table extend properly, etc. During that procedure I cannot fail to notice the (lack of) cleanliness of my surroundings. "Lack of" is pretty much the default at outstations, at hubs it's usually better. I have often noticed that the tray table has been wiped down (at outstations and hubs) albeit perfunctorily and with a none too clean cloth, judging by the streaks and smears.

If C-19 leads to cleaner aircraft interiors, then I won't be the one to complain.

Johan
Old Jun 10, 2020, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EricVdb
I said the CLA must be missing one (or more) of the conditions, otherwise KLM would not have a case. If they did have all the conditions in place, then it would be a win.
We shall soon know.

KL and the unions held a consultation today. FNV Cabine is willing to work with the airline, VNC insists on LIFO, and is taking the matter to court.

"KLM heeft, evenals de arbeidsjuristen van FNV, uitgebreid onderzoek gedaan naar de wettelijke houdbaarheid van artikel 4.3.3 alvorens tot de conclusie te komen dat de huidige cao-afspraak juridisch niet houdbaar is. FNV Cabine gaat dan ook in op de uitnodiging voor technisch overleg met KLM. VNC gaf aan niets te voelen voor zo’n technisch overleg. Zij volhardt in het standpunt dat LIFO voor haar de enig mogelijke methode is. Na afloop van het overleg communiceerde VNC dat zij een kort geding start over artikel 4.3.3."

Source

Johan
Old Jun 17, 2020, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The court case is scheduled for the 26th.

In the meantime, the two unions are fighting like cats and dogs. The union taking KLM to court (VNC) has demanded that the other union (FNV) agrees that the former's interpretation of the redundancy clause in the contract is the correct one. If they do not do so by 1 p.m. on the 18th, VNC will sue FNV as well.

This is becoming really amusing!

Johan
Old Jun 19, 2020, 5:46 am

Programs: FB PLATINUM IHG ACCOR
The subject is catering so perhaps a new thread should be opened about the ins/outs about the redesign /lay off issues -moderators
Back on topic; the new WBC tray has been introduced on all flights within service ring Medium and Long .
Service rings are being redesigned , i guess for future service.
Eg Atlanta , is now medium service. JFK ; for moment no tray service though thing change fast nowadays lets hope for the better. No alcohol yet either
BOG/PTY/HKG are in Long from now onwards. Will see what future brings here .
Old Jun 21, 2020, 2:14 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Whats the idea behind serving no alcohol? The only thing I have seen is that this is supposed to eliminate lines at the lavatories. But...wouldn't pax just drink something else. I know I would be drinking water throughout the flight...with or without an alcoholic drink in between.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 3:59 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
This is interesting. Just saw a Transavia video from the first flight to Faro after the freeze.

At around 03:00 you will see a catering trolley stocked with catering to sell!! So how is it possible that KL FA’s ‘can’t’ serve properly due to health safety restrictions, when HV is still able to move slowly through a single isle to sell catering?!
Old Jun 21, 2020, 12:04 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Xandrios
Whats the idea behind serving no alcohol? The only thing I have seen is that this is supposed to eliminate lines at the lavatories. But...wouldn't pax just drink something else. I know I would be drinking water throughout the flight...with or without an alcoholic drink in between.
According to some crew, to prevent PAX from becoming intoxicated and as result non-compliant/aggressive which would be especially inconvenient with the additional rules onboard currently.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kevinflyaway
At around 03:00 you will see a catering trolley stocked with catering to sell!! So how is it possible that KL FA’s ‘can’t’ serve properly due to health safety restrictions, when HV is still able to move slowly through a single isle to sell catering?!
For the glaringly obvious reason that serving pax properly costs KL money, whereas HV makes a profit selling food and beverages.

Trust KL to milk C-19 for what it is worth for as long as possible. Much cheaper to operate a winged leper colony with all the pax cowering behind masks, than to treat paying customers with decency and show gratitude for their willingness to travel by air at all.

Johan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.