Wiki Posts
Search

"KLM operates two direct flights (Tuesday and Thursday) to CGK"

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2019, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: KLM Elite for life; LH Senator for life
"KLM operates two direct flights (Tuesday and Thursday) to CGK"

According to the Holland Herald October 2019 - page 52 - and I quote "KLM operates two direct daily flights (one direct on Tuesday and one Thursday) to Soekarno Hatta International Airport from Amsterdam Airport Schiphol" - end of quote.

Anybody knows more about this? Is this a future initiative of KLM to offset the cancellation of direct flights by Garuda? Will KUL than not be served those days?
Old Oct 22, 2019, 9:02 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
KLM's existing flights to Jakarta are already direct, just not nonstop
glennhaak likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I think they're wrong about a second daily flight...

I just looked through their timetable for a sprinkling of random dates, and can find nothing more than the single daily direct KL809 (outbound) / KL810 (inbound).

As the previous poster noted, "direct" doesn't mean non-stop. All KL flights to CGK stop at KUL in both directions.
Attached Images  

Last edited by irishguy28; Oct 22, 2019 at 9:37 am
Old Oct 22, 2019, 9:48 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

No matter what direct means here, it seems that the editor or the author of that article needs some better glasses or knowledge - as the flights are daily - so in all situation the information in the magazine is just wrong....Unless as OP stated, there are plans for KLM to indeed introduce true non-stop direct flights from AMS-CGK on the days mentioned in the article.

Cheers!
Old Oct 22, 2019, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KLM Elite for life; LH Senator for life
In the Holland Herald it is mentioned that ONLY 2 days (Tuesday and Thursday) KLM has direct flights. So the discussion 'non stop' or 'direct with one stop' doesnot explain anything.
As stated by NLDOGBERT KLM flies already many and many years daily to CGK with an intermediate stop.
So either the author of the Holland Herald article is wrong or the time table AMS-CGK might be changed and the author was to early with his announcement.
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Terbang
In the Holland Herald it is mentioned that ONLY 2 days (Tuesday and Thursday) KLM has direct flights.
But right before that statement, it says "two direct daily flights" right before that. "Daily" has to mean operated every day of the week; "two direct daily flights" therefore would mean 14 flights per week.

But of course, that is incorrect; and the interpretation you appear to have taken (2 non-stop flights per week, on Tue and Thur) is also incorrect (you don't call a flight that operates only 2 times a week "daily", and they call it "direct" so it doesn't mean non-stop, as per usual airline parlance).

I think we can clearly all acknowledge that the statement is completely wrong.

It wouldn't be the first time an error slipped past the Holland Herald's editors!
Attached Images  
Old Oct 23, 2019, 1:17 am

Programs: QF WP
Would it stretch the English to the point of screaming to say daily in the sense relating to a specific, single day? Has this been translated from a Dutch word that expresses it better?

Old Oct 23, 2019, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nancypants
Would it stretch the English to the point of screaming to say daily in the sense relating to a specific, single day?
When speaking about the frequency of a flight, then yes, I say it would be. But the normal and natural way of referring to the frequency of an event happening on a specific, single day would be "on Tuesdays", or "once weekly, on Tuesdays", not "daily on Tuesdays". If it doesn't happen every day of the week, it's not "daily". (Of course, depending on context, it may be that we only consider the working/office week - but that's clearly not applicable to discussions of airline frequencies)

When referring to the frequency of flights, I have always understood "daily" as meaning operating 7 days a week; and I don't recall seeing any other usage inconsistent with that. If a flight doesn't operate every day of the week, it's usually referred to as "5 weekly flight" or "twice weekly", or the like.
Attached Images  
nancypants and johan rebel like this.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
When speaking about the frequency of a flight, then yes, I say it would be. But the normal and natural way of referring to the frequency of an event happening on a specific, single day would be "on Tuesdays", or "once weekly, on Tuesdays", not "daily on Tuesdays". If it doesn't happen every day of the week, it's not "daily". (Of course, depending on context, it may be that we only consider the working/office week - but that's clearly not applicable to discussions of airline frequencies)

When referring to the frequency of flights, I have always understood "daily" as meaning operating 7 days a week; and I don't recall seeing any other usage inconsistent with that. If a flight doesn't operate every day of the week, it's usually referred to as "5 weekly flight" or "twice weekly", or the like.
indeed. Feels like a translation fail (English not my first language either and I can kind of see how they could mis-translate it that way)
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 3:59 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by irishguy28
But right before that statement, it says "two direct daily flights" right before that. "Daily" has to mean operated every day of the week; "two direct daily flights" therefore would mean 14 flights per week.

But of course, that is incorrect; and the interpretation you appear to have taken (2 non-stop flights per week, on Tue and Thur) is also incorrect (you don't call a flight that operates only 2 times a week "daily", and they call it "direct" so it doesn't mean non-stop, as per usual airline parlance).

I think we can clearly all acknowledge that the statement is completely wrong.

It wouldn't be the first time an error slipped past the Holland Herald's editors!
This picture to me signifies 12 weekly flights, 2 per day except Tue, Thu on which there is only one.

Still doesn't fit, does it
Old Oct 24, 2019, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
This picture to me signifies 12 weekly flights, 2 per day except Tue, Thu on which there is only one.

That's how I initially interpreted it too.

But no matter what interpretation you put on it, it's simply wrong.

My guess is that it is a simple editing error - they copied over the same text box that had been used for a previously-featured destination, and forgot to change the information to that pertaining to CGK.
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 2:29 pm

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk

I guess this was the situation when Garuda (with KL codeshare) flew AMS-JKT non stop and KL did it direct via KL. If I recall things right KL does it daily, but Garuda not every day (which explains the Tue and Thu thing). But since a few weeks Garuda is flying AMS-Medan-Denpasar (people for JKT have to change planes in Medan), so we are down to 7 'direct' flights per week, or 1 daily. .
Old Oct 27, 2019, 4:45 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Alaska MVP Gold
Interesting: as we speak, PH-BFY (747-400) is on it's way to CGK directly from AMS (KL8973). Anybody knows what this flight is about?
Old Oct 27, 2019, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by danfl44
Interesting: as we speak, PH-BFY (747-400) is on it's way to CGK directly from AMS (KL8973). Anybody knows what this flight is about?
high flight number, usually an AM codeshare to Guadalajara - charter? Repositioning for maintenance or an aircraft going tech in CGK? Doesn’t look like a standard revenue flight
Old Oct 28, 2019, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by danfl44
Originally Posted by nancypants
high flight number, usually an AM codeshare to Guadalajara - charter? Repositioning for maintenance or an aircraft going tech in CGK? Doesn’t look like a standard revenue flight
Possibly some maintenance operations
Air France Industries KLM Engineering & Maintenance - Press Release
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.