Community
Wiki Posts
Search

KLM Dreamliner Pet Embargo

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2019, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, FB Silver (former UA 1K)
KLM Dreamliner Pet Embargo

I've flown many times on KLM with my dog in the hold, mostly 777 but also 747 and 787 on SFO-AMS-SFO. I recently booked an award ticket AMS-SFO and called to reserve the hold space for my dog. After about 25 minutes on the phone with a Delta agent, I was told that the request was refused (travel is in late-October). I reached out to KLM and was told the following:
Please be informed that to prevent offloading of high-value perishable cargo, KLM (KL) will impose an embargo for animals in the hold (AVIH) on Boeing 787-900 (789) Dreamliner & Boeing 787-10 (781) Dreamliner for travel effective 1 August 2019.
The explanation seems rather peculiar since I assume that "high-value perishable cargo" travels on 747 and 777 aircraft. I thought that this could be related to summer temperatures, but there is no termination date for the embargo and it appears to impact only one type of aircraft.

It was a struggle, but I got Flying Blue to refund my miles and fees. (It was done well within the 24-hour window after booking.) My only option is to find any remaining flights on older aircraft, either to SFO or LAX with a one-way car rental. PITA. What's the real story here?
Old Sep 7, 2019, 9:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It depends on the route, although the Dreamliners would have less cargo capacity than 747/777 aircraft. Probably KLM has been having problems with cargo needs on this aircraft type and decided that it would be simpler to ban checked pets across the aircraft type rather than on a long list of specific routes and dates.

Perishable cargo from AMS would obviously include flowers and cheese.

BTW, is there a difference between sending the dog as checked luggage versus as cargo on the same flight? Some airlines do both and have somewhat different rules and procedures, although typically very large dogs can travel only as cargo.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 3:47 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
It could also be related to 787 questionable dispatch reliability. KLM could have simply decided, that the extra earnings are not worth the hassle once the 787 gets AOGged out and now they have at hand perishables which they have to (in the best case) care for, or they just don't survive the trip.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 11:42 pm

Programs: Flying Blue
I think it is a range issue. If the plane needs more fuel due to conditions it needs to leave cargo behind. So they want to avoid it accidentally being your dog.
They also have (had??) this locally in JRO.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: AA Pl, KL Platinum for Life
I used to be able to fly KLM with my dog in the business class cabin but since the advent of lie flat seats there is no space for any pets. They still allow pets in economy.

Last edited by Lakeviewsteve; Sep 8, 2019 at 11:10 am Reason: missing word
Old Sep 11, 2019, 2:30 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, United Platinum Premier, AF/KLM Platinum
Just call it your "emotional support animal" and you'd be good to go
Old Sep 11, 2019, 4:35 am

Pets are generally transported in the bulk cargo compartment, i.e. the aft compartment where items are loaded one-by-one and not inside large containers. This compartment is heated, but on the B787 the heating system has proven to be unreliable. So KLM has recently been transporting them in one of the forward holds which are heated and air-conditioned, but when they do that the temperature needs to be set to a comfortable temperature for the pet, restricting their ability to carry perishable items and pharmaceutical products, which require a lower temperature, and bring in more income.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 2:07 am

I've contacted KLM about this, but unfortunately they don't have any information when the embargo might end. The strange thing is, is that I've been told by one KLM country office that they are still shipping dogs on Dreamliners, but they need advance notice so they can cover the perishables with a special blanket. But it seems like you can only do this if you book the dog as cargo rather than checked-in baggage. Even though they are the same plane from the country I'm travelling from. This really increases the cost. Does anyone have any other information about when the embargo might end or if there are any ways around this situation?
Old Oct 19, 2019, 3:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by tomtz1982
I've contacted KLM about this, but unfortunately they don't have any information when the embargo might end. The strange thing is, is that I've been told by one KLM country office that they are still shipping dogs on Dreamliners, but they need advance notice so they can cover the perishables with a special blanket. But it seems like you can only do this if you book the dog as cargo rather than checked-in baggage. Even though they are the same plane from the country I'm travelling from. This really increases the cost. Does anyone have any other information about when the embargo might end or if there are any ways around this situation?
Route and breed (or size and weight) of dog?
Old Oct 20, 2019, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Route and breed (or size and weight) of dog?
The dog is a medium sized one, about 26kg.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 4:03 pm

Interesting read. I too have always flown with my dog in the hold from JFK to AMS on a 777-200. Now it seems that KLM is moving to the 787-10 or 9 planes that do now allow pets in the hold. The ONLY direct flight I can find, anywhere in the USA is once a week they run a 777 to AMS from JFK. This is much more difficult now as I reside in Florida and have to drive a one-way rental car to JFK form South Florida! Hopefully the problem with the 787 9/10 will be fixed.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 5:24 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by frfrey
Interesting read. I too have always flown with my dog in the hold from JFK to AMS on a 777-200. Now it seems that KLM is moving to the 787-10 or 9 planes that do now allow pets in the hold. The ONLY direct flight I can find, anywhere in the USA is once a week they run a 777 to AMS from JFK. This is much more difficult now as I reside in Florida and have to drive a one-way rental car to JFK form South Florida! Hopefully the problem with the 787 9/10 will be fixed.
The previous posts were pre-covid. At present, SFO-AMS is operated exclusively by B772.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sjondorn
The previous posts were pre-covid. At present, SFO-AMS is operated exclusively by B772.
But SFO is even farther from FL than JFK.
Johan
Old Nov 3, 2020, 5:16 am

Programs: CO Gold
Any movement on this? I also saw that up until oct 30, 2020 they were not allowing pets to transit thru AMS and my local KLM agent unsure as if today. I’m basically trying to get my retriever and cat from DXB to LAX and the only flight out of DXB on KL is a 787, and can’t imagine the high value cargo potential leaving DXB is significant at all. AF also not allowing transit of pets thru CDG currently, EK too long to LAX, LH looking possible. Wonder if KL will make an exception on this route but I will need some certainty from them before booking. One idea is to go EK to JFK then onto domestic, however seems DL, UA, and AA have suspended transport of pets in hold due to COVID. Alaska may be option jfk-lax.

Travel late Jan early Feb, if anyone has ideas. Thanks all...
Old Nov 3, 2020, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by KATLPAX
Any movement on this?
I think that expecting rules to be relaxed during these challenging operational times is being a little unrealistic.

Have you looked into having your pet shipped as cargo? (The AFKLCargo website indicates that there are additional restrictions to the carriage of live animals during the pandemic). See: https://www.ipata.org/

Last edited by irishguy28; Nov 3, 2020 at 9:07 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.