Search

KLM then Transavia

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2019, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue
Post KLM then Transavia

Hi,

I booked a KLM ticket which is GLA-AMS-SOF. The GLA to AMS section is KLM and AMS-SOF Transavia.

They would not allow you to book hold baggage. I have contacted KLM and they say you find out the cost of your hold baggage at the airport! You cannot pay beforehand online plus the amount could be anything! I have also contacted Transavia and they say I have 23kg of hold baggage paid for on their flight. Can anyone help with an idea of the Cost for hold luggage GLA-SOF? We are going for 12 days and do we take one or two bags...It is a bit of a lottery to turn up to an airport to then be told how much they have decided to charge.

Regarding hand luggage my ticket says 1 carry on and 1 accessory (ie under seat), however Transavia is just 1 carry on bag. Is it the the KLM allowance as that is the 1st flight or is it the Transavia allowance? I have seen conflicting answers.

I just find it very strange that KLM say they have NO IDEA what theyw ill charge you for your hold bag and you will find out on the day!

Thanks
Old Apr 23, 2019, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Call up your reservation on the KLM website using the 6-character alphanumeric passenger record locator (PNR). This should be visible on your confirmation and e-ticket; if you bought your ticket from a travel agent, you may have to contact them to obtain the KLM passenger record locator.

When viewing your reservation on the KLM website, in the section entitled "Your baggage", there should be a clickable button saying "Arrange extra baggage".

Do you see this, and what happens when you click it?

Old Apr 23, 2019, 4:08 am
Original Poster

Hi,

Yes I have looked at my booking and it does not give the option to Arrange Extra Baggage or I would have done this.

Hopefully someone can help with my original question.

Thanks
Old Apr 23, 2019, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Scott Keir
Can anyone help with an idea of the Cost for hold luggage GLA-SOF?
From the KLM Baggage Calculator:

Old Apr 23, 2019, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Hi,

Thanks. Yes I had seen that myself and asked KLM via their Facebook page to confirm. They said they cannot and it is whatever they decide at the airport! Crazy I know.

For Hand Luggage KLM is one plus small bag etc. Transavia just one. Transavia replied to me to say that they would honour the KLM Hand Baggage rules. KLM say its the Transavia Rules! Again crazy and from my facebook chats the KLM staff seem to have little interest in checking or indeed helping.

Has anyone flown KLM with the allocated two pieces of hand baggage and then transferred onto Transavia? Did they have a problem?

Thanks

Scott
Old Apr 23, 2019, 7:15 am

Programs: FB Plat
I am not sure to understand your question: is it about the cost of a bag, or is it about how many bags you are allowed to check with your ticket? The answer of the first question may depend on the second, as usually the price of a 2nd bag is higher than the price of a 1st bag. Regarding your check-in allowance, KL should be able to tell you exactly about it if you ask them: if not, try to hang up and call again. I would though expect Transavia to be stricter than KL on this, so if Transavia tells you you have 1 bag (per booking? per pax?), you could be confident for the whole trip. But it is better to have a confirmation from KL for the outbound flight, as you will check with the first operating carrier (KL or its representant at GLA, HV at SOF).

Regarding your hand baggage allowance, it is the one of the operating carrier for each flight. So pack in such a way you comply with the strictest one (i.e. no accessory).
Old Apr 23, 2019, 10:20 am
Original Poster

One question is about the Cost of the Hold Baggage. I have asked KLM countless times and as I said they said the cost is decided at the airport.

Porcepic says "But it is better to have a confirmation from KL for the outbound flight, as you will check with the first operating carrier (KL or its representant at GLA, HV at SOF)." YES that's why I am asking the question!

Regarding hand baggage. According to KLm they say what you say but Transavia say you can take on their flight what you take on KLM!

That is why I am on here asking if anyone has used a KLM flight onto a Transavia flight and can share their actual experience.

Thanks
Old Apr 23, 2019, 2:27 pm

That is why I am on here asking if anyone has used a KLM flight onto a Transavia flight and can share their actual experience.
Actual experience when it comes to hand baggage varies a lot, best is to be compliant with the HV requirements.
Personally on the single HV flight I took people were allowed whatever they want, but experience I heard from friends/colleagues is that in some cases it is more strictly enforced.

For cabin luggage, the MSC rules apply, in case of your GLA-AMS-SOF flight the MSC is KL, and on the return the MSC is HV, your best bet might be to call the local KL handler which seems to be swissport - https://www.glasgowairport.com/desti.../airlines/klm/
Old May 2, 2019, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

After speaking to a Senior Manager at KLM and an apology for how my case had been dealt with I can confirm:

If your flight is KLM then Transavia it is true that you cannot pay for hold luggage online and must pay at the airport. So say GLA-AMS-SOF online baggage calculator says £40 per bag paid at the airport. However as you cannot pay online you must be offered the online price which would be I think £25. All KLM baggage/check in agents have been informed of this.

Hand Luggage: It is the allowance on the airline who your first sector is with: So in the example above it is KLM and one bag and one accessory. So you would be allowed this on your Transavia flight even though there's is just one bag. Again all staff have been informed of this.

I hope this information will help other passengers who buy a ticket with KLM which is KLM flight transferring onto a Transavia flight.

Thanks

Scott
Old May 27, 2019, 3:04 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Hi Scott,

We went on a similar connection from ABZ to TFS last year - KLM to AMS then Transavia, and went through the same grief as you trying to figure out the costs.

As it turned out:
Carry-on was exactly the same as allowed on KLM and the Transavia staff were very nice about it.

I don't know why they (KLM/Transavia) don't make the policies more transparent upfront.

As for hold luggage, my KLM FB status allowance was honoured by Transavia, though that wasn't at all clear when booking.
Billyfergus likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 7:17 am

Hi,

After speaking to a Senior Manager at KLM and an apology for how my case had been dealt with I can confirm:

If your flight is KLM then Transavia it is true that you cannot pay for hold luggage online and must pay at the airport. So say GLA-AMS-SOF online baggage calculator says £40 per bag paid at the airport. However as you cannot pay online you must be offered the online price which would be I think £25. All KLM baggage/check in agents have been informed of this.

Hand Luggage: It is the allowance on the airline who your first sector is with: So in the example above it is KLM and one bag and one accessory. So you would be allowed this on your Transavia flight even though there's is just one bag. Again all staff have been informed of this.

I hope this information will help other passengers who buy a ticket with KLM which is KLM flight transferring onto a Transavia flight.

Thanks

Scott
Hi Scott,

Sorry I know this thread is 3 years old! We are having a similar issue. Did all go to plan for you? What were you charged at the airport? We are flying ABZ - AMS - NAP.

Thanks in advance!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.