Where is PH-BVA?

Old Jan 1, 19, 5:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: FlyingBlue
Where is PH-BVA?

Does anyone know why PH-BVA has been out for so long, since before Christmas? Is the aircraft being repainted into the standard scheme? I wouldn't usually care, but was hoping to get a trip on her in her orange scheme!

Many thanks,
George
Old Jan 2, 19, 3:46 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Accor Gold, IHG Plat
As far as I can see, PH-BVA has not left AMS. KLM usually does not paint aircraft at Schiphol so I assume it's maintenance.
Old Jan 2, 19, 5:42 am

Programs: Flying Blue
I saw it parked at or near the F gate on dec 25th in the morning when I came back from BON. I know as I still want to fly that plane which I not have yet have had the fortune to do. But as it is not active, wondering what it was doing there.
Old Jan 2, 19, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
Given that air travel is highly seasonal, and that airlines adapt their schedules [cutting routes, thinning frequencies, downgauging aircraft] so that supply does not exceed demand by too much [no point flying excess empty seats around the world on the peak-season schedule required for the busiest travel periods], could it not just be as simple as that this is one of the aircraft that is currently surplus to requirements, and enjoying a short break?

Not sure whether KLM handle these fluctuations, but it would seem more manageable to take particular aircraft out of use for a certain period where possible given the scheduling of operations, rather than having a set of rolling breaks of a day or two spread right throughout that aircraft type across the entire fleet. Even more so if maintenance or servicing etc can be performed during that downtime.
Old Jan 2, 19, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
airlines adapt their schedules [cutting routes, thinning frequencies, downgauging aircraft] so that supply does not exceed demand.
I know that SK and LH do this, but does KL?

My impression is that they just keep on going full steam ahead right through the whole Christmas holiday season. Full flights too, at least in coach.

Johan
Xizm likes this.
Old Jan 2, 19, 12:09 pm

Programs: KLM/AF Platinum for life, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
My guess is that the C check is coming up sometime in January, so they are using it as a reserve until then. With the new 777 and 787 deliveries outpacing the now delayed retirement of the remaining 747's (PH-BFA to BFF already retired) they have the capacity now. The last C check was in early 2016?

Last edited by bankops; Jan 2, 19 at 12:13 pm Reason: D check to C check
Old Jan 13, 19, 3:35 am

Programs: FB Plat, SQ*G, BAEC Sapphire, Hertz PC
After modification works and fuselage repair work, PH-BVA is active again and operating the KL571/13JAN to Kilimanjaro
glennhaak likes this.
Old Jan 13, 19, 10:13 pm

Programs: Flying Blue
Originally Posted by skycruiserNL View Post
After modification works and fuselage repair work, PH-BVA is active again and operating the KL571/13JAN to Kilimanjaro
And her paint Job?
Old Jan 15, 19, 1:03 am

Programs: Flying Dutchman
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/ph-bva

Great website.

Search this Thread