Search

KLM announces Las Vegas

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2018, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
KLM announces Las Vegas

KLM announces AMS to Las Vegas. This routes will begins on June 2019.

https://worldairlinenews.com/2018/09...-to-las-vegas/
Wunk and Adelphos like this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 3:12 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Throwing some shade at Schiphol in their press release:

In order to open Las Vegas as a new destination, changes had to be made to KLM’s network. Partly due to Schiphol’s slot restrictions, KLM was forced to revise its portfolio of destinations sooner than expected. With effect from 29 March 2019, KLM will therefore stop flying to Freetown in Sierra Leone and Monrovia in Liberia. While the Freetown/Monrovia route launched in 2017 would have previously been given more time to grow in terms of performance, KLM is now compelled to deploy its fleet and slots differently.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Dutch, their elected representatives and their government really need to make up their minds about AMS.

On the one hand, they (or a loudmouthed minority) are all whinging and whining about noise and PM pollution, CO2 emissions, global warming and the imminent demise of the Earth as we know it.

On the other, they have tied the airport's hands while still expecting it to give KLM, their national pride and joy, preferential treatment.
Having put AMS firmly in a bind, they are now dreaming up all sorts of schemes: reintroduction of the same air passenger tax that failed miserably a decade ago; forcing less desirable airlines to move to Lelystad; and somehow discouraging "pretvluchten", i.e. predominatly leisure flights to sunny destinations.

None of those are achievable or going to work, and the hypocrisy is glaring. I'm not sure how our planet will be saved by taxing departing pax, but not all those transfer pax who take the long way round to their destination via AMS.

Johan
Solevita, Goldorak, Wunk and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 3:50 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
If the Netherlands was run by forward thinking people, it'd actually invest in renewables while starting construction on a new Schiphol in the North Sea off the coast. Great place to put energy storage / management of huge offshore wind farms, too.

Of course, that's a pipe dream.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by caliform
Of course, that's a pipe dream.
Has been for ages. How many decades ago was the idea of an offshore airport first mooted?

Much better to keep tinkering at the edges, focusing on all sorts of schemes to make flying less attractive and more expensive. The fact that the deterrent effect of any such measures will hit the hoi polloi hardest is a bonus, as it will allow the elites to keep flying with a clear conscience, leaving it to the less affluent to fly less and thereby reduce the environmental implact of commercial aviation.

Johan
Old Sep 22, 2018, 6:25 pm

Programs: delta
When will KLM have the Las Vegas flights available on the website for booking? Will this be a code share with DELTA so US citizens can book LAS - AMS?
Old Sep 23, 2018, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by gun4hire
Will this be a code share with DELTA so US citizens can book LAS - AMS?
Of course there will be a DL code-share. But I fail to see the relationship to your comment about US citizens.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by Goldorak

Of course there will be a DL code-share. But I fail to see the relationship to your comment about US citizens.
Hi,

I think that some US govt departments require their employees to fly US carriers when travelling overseas but if it is booked under a US airline code share then the route is approved.

So some employees could not book KL LAS-AMS for example but if it is ticketed DL LAS-AMS then the routing is approved ( even if operated by KLM)

Regards

TBS
Old Sep 23, 2018, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

I think that some US govt departments require their employees to fly US carriers when travelling overseas but if it is booked under a US airline code share then the route is approved.

So some employees could not book KL LAS-AMS for example but if it is ticketed DL LAS-AMS then the routing is approved ( even if operated by KLM)

Regards

TBS
I indeed thought that’s what gun4hire was referring to, but we are not talking about US citizens as he/she said, but some US govt employees. US citizens can of course book on whatever airline/code share they want to fly.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 3:38 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by N830MH
KLM announces AMS to Las Vegas. This routes will begins on June 2019.

https://worldairlinenews.com/2018/09...-to-las-vegas/
I think this gamble is likely to pay off for KLM.
Engines turn likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 5:59 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Agreed, this should be a pretty good route. I could even see myself flying this as a connection from SFO-LAS-AMS.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by HalconBCN
Yup. Too bad that the departure time isn't a bit later. Direct Skyteam options from West Coast to Europe are limited as it is, but what really is a pain for some are all those midday/late afternoon flights, where as a result you're landing in AMS/CDG at midnight Pacific Time...

I would really welcome something similar to KLM's seasonal SLC 21:00 departure. From anywhere in the West really...
Old Sep 27, 2018, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by HalconBCN
Absolutely not! There's no gamble on the flight. Sorry!
Old Sep 27, 2018, 3:40 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by N830MH
Absolutely not! There's no gamble on the flight. Sorry!
I beg to differ, the gamble is always whether or not you'll get the huisje you want, or an edible meal...
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by caliform
I beg to differ, the gamble is always whether or not you'll get the huisje you want
And every time you do get lucky, you lengthen the odds on your next flight.

Johan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.