Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luggage on Economy Light tickets as ST+ ?

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2018, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Luggage on Economy Light tickets as ST+ ?

Can I, as ST Elite+ take free baggage up to 23kg on an economy light ticket or do I have to pay?

Thanks
Old May 31, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
You should be able to bring a suitcase. Check https://www.klm.com/travel/nl_en/pre...ator/index.htm
Old May 31, 2018, 4:09 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Yes you can.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Whew. Thanks!
Old Aug 12, 2018, 5:05 pm

Thought I'd add this to the existing thread...:

It would appear that there has been a change with regards to code-share flights, which they seem to have slipped in very quietly:

If you're on a light fare, and any legs of your journey are operated by code-share partners who are not members of Skyteam (such as Air Baltic), then there is no free baggage allowance.

I found this out today, when booking a flight to Riga. Queried it with KLM, and that's what they told me.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 11:47 pm

How did you "find it out" ? And is it applicable for FB members or only for STE+ from other FFPs?
Last year I had a code-share flight on Air Baltic, the agents in AMS were quite confused about my luggage, but as I was adamant about my free luggage allowance as FB Plat, they checked it in with no cost...
Having checked KL website and trying to book a codeshare flight on a light fare still say "Naturally, Flying Blue privileges still apply."
Old Aug 13, 2018, 1:23 am

I found out because my booking confirmation and ticket said "0 checked bags" and I emailed customer service. And what's worse checked baggage can't even be prebooked so you have to mess around with paying at the airport. Totally unsatisfactory IMHO!

This must be a very new thing. (I did the same itinerary last year and didn't get charged).

As this is a relatively short trip I'll get round this by not checking baggage. I normally prefer to check baggage, to avoid the scramble for overhead space.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 1:48 am

All my e-tickets since "light" fare was introduced always shows 0 bags, even for AF/KL operated flights.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 2:20 am

Programs: FB Gold, Sixt Gold
I have economy light booked on AMS-VIE in a few weeks time, KLM app is confirming I can have a 23kg bag (FB Silver)

​​​​​​​So, yes
Old Aug 13, 2018, 3:20 am

Allowed luggage stated on e-ticket doesn't include extra bag with comes with your elite status. It can't be that difficult to include it for passengers who entered their FF no. during booking.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
I found out because my booking confirmation and ticket said "0 checked bags" and I emailed customer service. And what's worse checked baggage can't even be prebooked so you have to mess around with paying at the airport. Totally unsatisfactory IMHO!

This must be a very new thing. (I did the same itinerary last year and didn't get charged).

As this is a relatively short trip I'll get round this by not checking baggage. I normally prefer to check baggage, to avoid the scramble for overhead space.
Well the good news is, C-Series has quite a bit of overhead space. But it's quite annoying indeed
Old Jun 4, 2020, 1:41 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum For Life; ALL Platinum
I am booked CDG-AMS-SOF one ticket 1H40 transit time on a AF ticket 057; The CDG- AMS is KL , and AMS- SOF is KL marketed , Air Bulgarian operated; My fare is a light fare; Being Plat I should have 23 KG luggage allowance but the ticket show no luggage on the CDG-AMS-SOF segment; My return flight on same ticket is AF direct SOF-CDG light fare, free luggage is well on the ticket;

I would like to know if I am well entitled to a luggage as under the Most Significant carrier rule in intra Europe, the most significant is the first flight when you go out of the country so the CDG-AMS should dictate the rule of the ticket; It is also impossible to add a paid luggage on the CDG- AMS-SOF .
Thanks for your feedback
Old Jun 4, 2020, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by pascalgr
I am booked CDG-AMS-SOF one ticket 1H40 transit time on a AF ticket 057; The CDG- AMS is KL , and AMS- SOF is KL marketed , Air Bulgarian operated; My fare is a light fare; Being Plat I should have 23 KG luggage allowance but the ticket show no luggage on the CDG-AMS-SOF segment; My return flight on same ticket is AF direct SOF-CDG light fare, free luggage is well on the ticket;

I would like to know if I am well entitled to a luggage as under the Most Significant carrier rule in intra Europe, the most significant is the first flight when you go out of the country so the CDG-AMS should dictate the rule of the ticket; It is also impossible to add a paid luggage on the CDG- AMS-SOF .
Thanks for your feedback
As you are on KL flight numbers, you’ll have your Platinum free bag. Be sure to have your’Plat card with you, just in case.
Squerez likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 11:23 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum For Life; ALL Platinum
Thanks Goldorak

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.