Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Current state/quality of KLM wifi?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2017, 1:50 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
I've flown with a lot of airlines over the years, and it's no hyperbole when I say KLM's wifi service has been the worst of them.
KLBGO likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 8:06 am

Programs: KL PFL; BA Gold; A3 Silver; EY Silver; SU Silver
I have recently used KLM Wi-Fi and the quality was quite OK.
However, i am disappointed KLM (or Panasonic) poorly manages the advertised software update block 40 our of 200 MB were used for Facebook messenger update and 80MB used by up by Symantec anti-virus update. I am very upset with this as I could not do my work as expected.

Note that I disabled all auto updates in Google Play/ Samsung Apps but the idiotic FB Messenger has its own autoupdate settting (as FB does). On my laptop its same story - all uptoupdates were restricted but... not in antivirus.

KLM customer service reply was a joke, they did not even read what I asked for... Will spend my money more accurately with this as the support is non-existing.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 1:06 pm

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
Originally Posted by Wunk
yet a common sense approach of 'Hey, Delta's gogo service works pretty sweet, let's see if we can install that as well' didn't come to mind?
I really like the fact that messaging in free on Delta flights. And it works very well in my experience (I have not tried the paid options). I hate to say it, but Delta is starting to pull way ahead of European competitors in many areas, including this one.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, FB Plat
Originally Posted by Keter
I have recently used KLM Wi-Fi and the quality was quite OK.
Note that I disabled all auto updates in Google Play/ Samsung Apps but the idiotic FB Messenger has its own autoupdate settting (as FB does). On my laptop its same story - all uptoupdates were restricted but... not in antivirus.
The fact that there's a 200MB limit is an absolute joke in today's everything-online setting. The second I turn on my business laptop it'll immediately burn down 25% of that on mail/skype/other checks.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 7:23 am

Programs: Delta GM; FB Plat; HHonors Diamond; Hertz PC; National EE
And that's the main issue with their offer. Without the data cap and a flat fee in the EUR 20 region, I would be customer #1 for wifi on each and every KL flight. But instead, due to the cap, I have never bought into KL's wifi service. As others have said, one unintentional update or resumed download in an open browser window and the money is gone. However, I do buy it on each and every DL flight and actually prefer DL operated flights over KL because of this.

A good offer, especially when flying to/from the USA, would be a service that can be combined with DL's wifi. So that a day pass bought on a KL flight would continue to work on a connecting DL flight and vice-versa.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue
I did not find any issue with the service speed, which is maybe related with the fact that it's horribly expensive for these data caps, so not really popular. 200MB is enough for basic messaging, but not for real work.

Based on this link iPass is supported on KLM flights, can anyone confirm this? ( Couldn't find anything useful on iPass website.)
Unlimited In Flight Wifi + Worldwide Hotspots For $10 Per Month... - God Save The Points
Old Aug 4, 2018, 10:18 am

[/SPOILER]The wifi did not work for me on a recent flight on the 789.... honestly, what is up with KLM - 30 EUR for 200mb of data? Makes no sense. I was shooting the breeze with the purser and she was telling me that the wifi almost never works! ...???

On the outbound, I did Virgin Atlantic and previously have done AA to Europe - in both cases, it was a flat fee with no (known) data caps...

I believe all 3 carriers use the same provider (Panasonic?)
Old Aug 5, 2018, 11:10 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Panasonic (Ku-band?), yep. Same as you see on ANA, VA and others.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 2:44 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
I had a press meeting with some KLM execs during the KLM Open including the SVP Customer Experience and the CEO. Some interesting updates about the wifi roll-out: they are currently working on fitting the A330 fleet with Gogo 2Ku inflight internet. However there were worldwide technical issues with antenna interfence which need to be addressed first by Airbus. KLM aims to have the longhaul fleet fitted with wifi by 2020. Furthermore they are planning to change from data-plans to time-based plans as customer cannot properly estimate their MB usage in the air. For the European fleet, a tender will go out soon.

Some more updates on e.g. the lounge and fleet (in Dutch): https://insideflyer.nl/klm-is-volop-...an-ceo-elbers/
Wunk likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: DL Skymiles, AF/KL Flying Blue
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
I had a press meeting with some KLM execs during the KLM Open including the SVP Customer Experience and the CEO. Some interesting updates about the wifi roll-out: they are currently working on fitting the A330 fleet with Gogo 2Ku inflight internet. However there were worldwide technical issues with antenna interfence which need to be addressed first by Airbus. KLM aims to have the longhaul fleet fitted with wifi by 2020. Furthermore they are planning to change from data-plans to time-based plans as customer cannot properly estimate their MB usage in the air. For the European fleet, a tender will go out soon.

Some more updates on e.g. the lounge and fleet (in Dutch): https://insideflyer.nl/klm-is-volop-...an-ceo-elbers/
About time. Now, let's see what they price these new time-based plans at. I haven't seen many plans from non-US based airlines that seem in any way reasonable.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by eastindywalrus
About time. Now, let's see what they price these new time-based plans at. I haven't seen many plans from non-US based airlines that seem in any way reasonable.
Agreed. I said a hundred times to AF that their current WiFi offers were totally inadapted and that they should follow the US airlines model (time-based). But without result so far...
caliform likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 2:58 am

Just checked in for my 777-300 flight tomorrow to BKK, and advised on the website that it has wifi. Never seen it before on a KL aircraft, other than 787. Reading these comments, I probably won't sign up !
Old Sep 27, 2018, 5:58 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
There is one 777 that does have Wifi.
tezzer likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 9:27 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Just sign up for an iPass-based service that gives you wifi on all planes for a month — it's unlimited, and about 10-15$. At least you're not paying 50 euros for a stupid limit on a barely working wifi rig.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 5:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, FB Plat
Well this looks promising on AF: https://insideflyer.nl/gratis-messag...ij-air-france/
Basically going the Delta / Gogo packages

Let's hope KLM follows suit

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.