Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Schiphol opens new check in area (1A)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2017, 12:10 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Schiphol opens new check in area (1A)

Schiphol recently opened a new check-in area to be used for Schengen destinations. This new terminal will be used by KLM, Lufthansa, Austrian Airlines, Swiss en LOT Polish Airlines.

A few links to articles:
NOS
Parool

and probably the most comprehensive article from a frequent flier perspective by KLflyerRalph

Last edited by Gajan; Apr 6, 2017 at 4:41 am
Old Apr 5, 2017, 2:37 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Nice article, KLflyerRalph. I wonder if I'll use it for AMS-BRU next month.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 12:51 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by caliform
Nice article, KLflyerRalph. I wonder if I'll use it for AMS-BRU next month.
I you want to use the lounge you are better of by using the main security filter (and SP check/in in Departures 2).
I asked Schiphol whether the were planning to introduce screens to indicate the waiting time at each checkpoint. Unfortunately they are not and commented they will only use staff to (re)direct PAX during peaktimes. The new filter has significant extra capacity, but without knowing how many lanes are open it is difficult to predict which is faster.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Thanks for posting. I have a KL connection from Asia to Schengen next week. Will it be different from before?

That article mentions automated passport lanes. Does AMS have the ability to scan US passports like HEL does?
Old Apr 6, 2017, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by stimpy
Thanks for posting. I have a KL connection from Asia to Schengen next week. Will it be different from before?
You are connecting at Schiphol.

Unless you routinely go landside to force yourself to go through the full landside departures procedure, then nothing will change.

Connecting passengers should stay airside. Changes in departures procedures only affect the local-originating passengers.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You are connecting at Schiphol.

Unless you routinely go landside to force yourself to go through the full landside departures procedure, then nothing will change.

Connecting passengers should stay airside. Changes in departures procedures only affect the local-originating passengers.

That article mentions automated passport lanes. Does AMS have the ability to scan US passports like HEL does
Yes, as well as several others such as Singapore, Australia, Japan and New Zealand.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 1:40 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Assuming you do an airside transfer, no. Just follow the signs to your gate and you will pass security and passport control.

That article mentions automated passport lanes. Does AMS have the ability to scan US passports like HEL does?
It theoretically does, but you will need to register beforehand. I know the KMar is working on providing passport holders of the US, NZ, Australia, Canada, Hong Kong, South Korea, Japan and Singapore access to the e-gates at passport control. It should have gone into effect but there have been some delays.

They were planning to have some registration desks for RTP-NL (Registered Traveller Program) in Arrivals and the KMar office in Departures 2.

Last week I send an enquiry to the responsible department asking for an update.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
It theoretically does, but you will need to register beforehand. I know the KMar is working on providing passport holders of the US, NZ, Australia, Canada, Hong Kong, South Korea, Japan and Singapore access to the e-gates at passport control. It should have gone into effect but there have been some delays.

They were planning to have some registration desks for RTP-NL (Registered Traveller Program) in Arrivals and the KMar office in Departures 2.

Last week I send an enquiry to the responsible department asking for an update.
Thanks Ralph. This would be great. I've had this in the UK for a couple of years now.

Back to my connection, would I use the same Schengen Crown club as always? Would it matter if my connecting flight is in this new terminal?
Old Apr 6, 2017, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Back to my connection, would I use the same Schengen Crown club as always? Would it matter if my connecting flight is in this new terminal?
The gates are unchanged. The lounge is unchanged. The experience of a connecting passenger is unchanged.

(There is only one Schengen KLM lounge, so it is not as if you can use any other Schengen lounge). Whether you use both KLM lounges in both parts of the airport is up to you, as it always was.

It's not a new "terminal", just a new temporary departures hall. It contains check in desks, and security lanes that lead you into the existing airport between the C and D gates. It's basically just an extra bank of land-side check-in desks.

Nothing has changed airside.

You will notice nothing different - even if the passengers on your Schengen flight have had a completely different check-in experience than usual!
Old Apr 6, 2017, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Got it. Thanks.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 3:21 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by irishguy28
The gates are unchanged. The lounge is unchanged. The experience of a connecting passenger is unchanged.

(There is only one Schengen KLM lounge, so it is not as if you can use any other Schengen lounge). Whether you use both KLM lounges in both parts of the airport is up to you, as it always was.

It's not a new "terminal", just a new temporary departures hall. It contains check in desks, and security lanes that lead you into the existing airport between the C and D gates. It's basically just an extra bank of land-side check-in desks.

Nothing has changed airside.

You will notice nothing different - even if the passengers on your Schengen flight have had a completely different check-in experience than usual!
The title of this thread is very misleading. It should read: 'Schiphol has opened a new temporary Schengen check-in area'.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In Dutch, it's consistently referred to as "Hal" or "Vertrekhal 1a".

In English, the airport apparently calls it "Check-in 1A"

Here's the updated departures map from Schiphol:
Attached Images  
Old Apr 6, 2017, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks again. Then this thread title is truly inaccurate. Not the end of the world though.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 4:42 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Title changed
Old Apr 6, 2017, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess 1A is a good choice if you have a Star Alliance flight departing from a B gate, but for most KL flights it is just a long detour.

Johan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.