Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connection time in AMS

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2018, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by caliform
douane are the annoying guys that hassle you when you try to leave the bag claim area.
For some reason they leave me alone, the (slightly) annoying part is that all arriving pax (hundreds of them with tons of luggage, if you are unlucky) all have to squeeze through a narrow exit and go around two corners to exit the baggage hall. It's one of those annoying and unique Schiphol features.

Johan
Old Aug 24, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Originally Posted by mfkne
...as well as clearing security.
Hhhm would disagree here. Security are the people that check if you have nasty things in your luggage or on your body (usually in black suit and working for contractors). 'Douane' are the guys/girls/machines that check your passport - and indeed are KMAR (Royal Marechaussee, which is part of the Dutch Army!), usually in blue suit. And then the real Douane/customs (usually in a green suit, formal officials of Dutch goverment) are the people that you meet when moving to the arrivals hall and who have the task to prevent you import anything illegal in your luggage to NL.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Originally Posted by johan rebel
For some reason they leave me alone, the (slightly) annoying part is that all arriving pax (hundreds of them with tons of luggage, if you are unlucky) all have to squeeze through a narrow exit and go around two corners to exit the baggage hall. It's one of those annoying and unique Schiphol features.

Johan
Yeah, true....but then this is usually a delay of a minute or so and we do not have to file these annoying customs declarations like in so many other countries, let alone have your bag screened via X ray before entering the country (they do this upon arrival in China, Indonesia, and Thailand for instance). I would say that upon arrival passport control by 'customs' (KMAR or machines) is the really delaying factor at Schiphol.....
Old Aug 24, 2018, 3:25 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by KL895
You are totally right with your definitions, but I fully agree with Johan that "De Douane" is for many (if not: most) Dutch a synonym to having their passport checked...
I'm not familiar with the Dutch system now, but I know that in past in Slovakia (and still today on border with Ukraine), it actually was the job of customs (Douane/Zoll/Clo/...) authorities to check passports as well.
Only essentially since incorporation of Schengen have these two functions been largely decoupled, and the police (in Slovakia) or KMAR (in Netherlands), or even the local cantonal police (in Zurich) check the passports, while the customs authorities check the baggage.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 12:48 am

Originally Posted by KL895
You are totally right with your definitions, but I fully agree with Johan that "De Douane" is for many (if not: most) Dutch a synonym to having their passport checked...
Same with Americans. Americans almost never refer to immigration, they always say customs. However, in the US it is the same agency that handles passport control and customs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.