Community
Wiki Posts
Search

About to become FB Gold - what can I expect/look forward to?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2016, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; Flying Blue Platinum, Hilton Diamond
About to become FB Gold - what can I expect/look forward to?

This Tuesday I'll take a flight that will mean I've achieved FB gold. As someone who lives in Amsterdam; usually takes early morning flights and gets to Schiphol about 55 minutes before my flight - aside from lounge access, is there anything I should look forward to, or any perks I'll experience once I reach that status?

Appreciate any insights.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 3:21 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Priority security, I believe that is not an official benefit for silver? Will certainly help if you arrive late at the airport..
Old Nov 13, 2016, 3:27 pm

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
Flying Blue (or KLM) has a website which lists all of your benefits.

https://www.flyingblue.com/about-fly...fits/gold.html
Old Nov 13, 2016, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by Xandrios
Priority security, I believe that is not an official benefit for silver? Will certainly help if you arrive late at the airport..
Agreed - especially during peak times e.g. summer months, national holidays etc., that obviously also applies to other airports you will depart from.

G
Old Nov 14, 2016, 2:38 am

It is at AMS.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 3:52 am

A seat in an emergency exit row for free
Old Nov 14, 2016, 4:12 am

Originally Posted by t0t1t2
A seat in an emergency exit row for free
I think that's only for P members.

G
Old Nov 14, 2016, 4:31 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CyBeR
It is at AMS.
Not anymore. Priority security has been axed for Silvers.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 4:41 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Higher miles earning? No 'surprise' perks, really. You do get proper SkyPriority on bookings with SkyTeam partners too.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 10:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; Flying Blue Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Thank you for everyone's replies. I should have mentioned that as I fly so often from Schiphol, I do have Privium that helps with the security lines leaving Amsterdam. I've then been able to flash my Alitalia Elite Plus card when leaving an airport that isn't Schiphol be it have never used that card against a booking as that was purely a status match with BA at the time.

I guess I wanted to know if there were any unpublished "perks" such as a chance of getting upgraded at the gate should the flight be full (or anecdotal evidence that shows people have seen this when moving to Gold) or the removal of credit card fees if you book using your AMEX KLM card (that's more a wish than a belief that would ever happen)?
Old Nov 14, 2016, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
I think that's only for P members.

G
Oh, my bad. Gold indeed officially gets a 50% discount on these seating options.

But, I have seen pursers offering Elite and Elite plus members vacant seats in emergency exit rows after take off.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 12:37 am

Originally Posted by silonic
chance of getting upgraded at the gate should the flight be full (or anecdotal evidence that shows people have seen this when moving to Gold)
I often saw people with no status whatsoever (direct experience with work colleagues and even the Mrs on a couple of occasions) being upgraded whereas I noticed, on those flights, passengers with their black luggage tags proceeding towards the back of the aircraft (now, whether the tag was purchased on eBay or they kept it since 2006, je ne sais pas - I appreciate that's not an accurate way of establishing whether their status was current or not). In short, going up to G or even P, for that matter, doesn't really significantly increase the likelihood of getting upgraded.

G
Old Nov 15, 2016, 3:59 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by silonic
I guess I wanted to know if there were any unpublished "perks" such as a chance of getting upgraded at the gate should the flight be full (or anecdotal evidence that shows people have seen this when moving to Gold) or the removal of credit card fees if you book using your AMEX KLM card (that's more a wish than a belief that would ever happen)?
The Amex fees are the most ridiculous thing ever, especially when using Paypal is free for all credit cards - But amex is blocked within paypal.

Regarding upgrades: Yes it does happen - very rarely. I'd say about once per year (1 in 30 flights) for me. However nowadays this has more to do with the fare than the status level - I have seen Silver members being upgraded on full fare, while I as Gold was not upgraded on a cheaper ticket.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 4:30 am

The Amex fees are the most ridiculous thing ever, especially when using Paypal is free for all credit cards - But amex is blocked within paypal.
Not in NL, I always use my Amex when paying with paypal. (unless this is some limitation of KL?)
Old Nov 15, 2016, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by Ditto
Not in NL, I always use my Amex when paying with paypal. (unless this is some limitation of KL?)
Same here from France.

Fred

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.