Wiki Posts
Search

1 Oct - "Haywire horse" delays KL643

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2016, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
1 Oct - "Haywire horse" delays KL643

Evidently tonight's AMS-JFK flight is carrying 14 horses in the cargo hold, and during taxi at Schiphol one of them started going "completely haywire," according to the captain. We're waiting on the tarmac for the horse to be unloaded, and the poor thing is shaking the entire plane with its thrashing.

Now I've seen everything. At least it happened at AMS and not somewhere over the ocean
Old Oct 1, 2016, 12:14 pm

A handler goes along and checks during the flight. Sat next to one in business not long ago.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rjw242
At least it happened at AMS and not somewhere over the ocean
It has happened over the ocean.

Some years ago a KL flight en route to a South American destination had to make an emergency landing in the Azores when a whole flock of horses went berserk.

Johan
Old Oct 2, 2016, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel
It has happened over the ocean.

Some years ago a KL flight en route to a South American destination had to make an emergency landing in the Azores when a whole flock of horses went berserk.

Johan
Wow. I thought living cargos suppossed to be sedated.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They even had a mare give birth once over the Atlantic en route to MEX. The foal survived, the mother died.

Johan
Old Oct 3, 2016, 1:14 am

Programs: Flying Blue
I once had the pleasure on the return flight to Amsterdam in Economy sitting in the back before the cargo section. I thought it where Rhinos but it actually where horses kicking us all the way from NY to AMS. Luckily it was one of the fast ones, remembering it was 5hours 55mins flying time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.