Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is KLM flying to BER (Berlin Brandenburg Airport)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2016, 6:21 am
Original Poster

Talking Is KLM flying to BER (Berlin Brandenburg Airport)

I guess a glitch in Flying blue website
Attached Images  
Old Aug 16, 2016, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Flying Blue has been resolving the metropolitan area code "BER" to Berlin-Brandenburg Airport for the last several years.

KLM did continue to use "BER" as the city code for Berlin for some time after the move was cancelled; however, they reverted to using "TXL" on their website and e-tickets.
Attached Images   

Last edited by irishguy28; Aug 16, 2016 at 6:44 am
Old Aug 16, 2016, 6:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Flying Blue has been resolving the metropolitan area code "BER" to Berlin-Brandenburg Airport for the last several years.

KLM did continue to use "BER" as the city code for Berlin for some time after the move was cancelled; however, they reverted to using "TXL" on their website and e-tickets.
The e-ticket for this flight is showing the correct code... TXL, KLM website now only shows it as "Berlin" which seems to then show Brandenburg Airport in flying blue website
Old Aug 16, 2016, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All possible combinations and interpretations - current and future - are available
Attached Images  
Old Aug 16, 2016, 9:30 am

BER is currently the combined code for all Berlin airports - just like LON is the code for all London airports and NYC is the code for all New York airports. BER is what you put in a search box if you are happy to fly to either TXL or SXF.

So - no error, at all, in KLM's system.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

KLM today sent me cancellation notices for flights later this year and early next year.

However, the flight times (both departure and arrival), flight numbers, and aircraft types are identical.

And then it dawned on me - it's because the flights are now to/from Berlin (BER) rather than to Berlin (TXL).

The new airport is scheduled to open between late October and early November, with airlines moving on different days. It looks like this time it will actually happen!
Goldorak and RetiredATLATC like this.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 5:38 pm

Programs: IC Amb.,FB,Hertz,Sixt
They are planning to close TXL fairly soon and put the few operating flights into SXF, Tegel costs €200k a day to open.
It seems certificates have now been issued to BER but local councils have to approve things. So yes late Oct and maybe earlier for LH so that they do not have to move twice
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ninjalad
They are planning to close TXL fairly soon and put the few operating flights into SXF, Tegel costs €200k a day to open.
I did not know that; thanks for the titbit.

FAZ: Die Flughafen GmbH will den Berliner Flughafen Tegel vorübergehend schließen, um zu sparen.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 2:38 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA PE, HH Gold
The plan is not to close down TXL now ( they would not be allowed to re-open as it operates with an special permit ) but to merge all civil operations in SXF, the old east german airport besides the newly built BER. No big deal with only about 20 flights a day... Only government/military flights would be still be operating from the TXL airport but they would not use any of the known civilian facilities there but the old french military section of the airport which is still in use today. This would allow them to re-open TXL if needed, who knows there might be problems with the new BER
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 6:22 pm

Flying Christmas day ATL-AMS-Berlin all on KLM metal.

Was ticketed on 006 stock and just happen to glance at my reservation today and noticed, on the KLM app my AMS-TXL/TXL-AMS were cancelled. They were replaced with AMS-BER/BER-AMS, still on Delta stock. Went on the Delta site and they have me simultaneously flying to Tegel and Brandenburg the day after Christmas.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 3:36 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA PE, HH Gold
If all goes according to plan then all flying will be from the new BER airport from late october on so KLM was right, at Christmas time you would be flying into BER.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 3:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by RetiredATLATC
Flying Christmas day ATL-AMS-Berlin all on KLM metal.

Was ticketed on 006 stock and just happen to glance at my reservation today and noticed, on the KLM app my AMS-TXL/TXL-AMS were cancelled. They were replaced with AMS-BER/BER-AMS, still on Delta stock. Went on the Delta site and they have me simultaneously flying to Tegel and Brandenburg the day after Christmas.
Wait for it to settle down. By December you should be flying into BER (currently to catch-all city code for Berlin) rather than TXL, but we’ll see about that in a few months.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 10:31 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Air France/KLM will move to Brandenburg as of 8 November this year.
Goldorak likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 5:15 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Perfect moment for a soft opening of a new airport terminal. It will be operating at nowhere near the expected volume they would have been planning for.
irishguy28 and Goldorak like this.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HalconBCN
Perfect moment for a soft opening of a new airport terminal. It will be operating at nowhere near the expected volume they would have been planning for.
Perhaps they could quietly demolish BER, and retain TXL?

TXL alone should be sufficient for all of Berlin's aviation needs for several years to come....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.