Search

KLM to install beer tap(s) on board

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2016, 7:36 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus
Original Poster

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
KLM to install beer tap(s) on board

KLM is planning to offer draft beer* on board long haul flights. Initially only at specific special flights, but if proves to be successful also on normal long haul flights.

* 'Beer' being Heineken

Link (in dutch): http://www.parool.nl/amsterdam/bier-...ogte~a4330572/
Old Jul 2, 2016, 9:38 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
Self-service for business class, as in the Crown Lounges?

-- Hic
Old Jul 2, 2016, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Indefinitely postponed due to certification issues, according to Luchtvaartnieuws.nl.

Johan
Old Jul 2, 2016, 2:45 pm

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
Anybody know why CO2 canisters are forbidden onboard flights? I thought they were in all the lifejackets, and then there are oxygen canisters as well. Does it have to do with the size of the canisters involved?
Old Jul 4, 2016, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
This is the Dutchiest thing I've seen in a long time!
Old Jul 4, 2016, 4:41 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus
Original Poster

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by SchmeckFlyer
Anybody know why CO2 canisters are forbidden onboard flights? I thought they were in all the lifejackets, and then there are oxygen canisters as well. Does it have to do with the size of the canisters involved?
I can imagine that, due to the variance in air pressure, the result will be very different depending on flight level. The canisters are under equal pressure irrelevant of flight level, while the cabin pressure is not. At sea level it may work well - while at cruising altitude the pressure difference is much bigger - causing the beer tap to become a beer fountain. Just a guess though..
Old Jul 4, 2016, 5:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Xandrios
I can imagine that, due to the variance in air pressure, the result will be very different depending on flight level. The canisters are under equal pressure irrelevant of flight level, while the cabin pressure is not. At sea level it may work well - while at cruising altitude the pressure difference is much bigger - causing the beer tap to become a beer fountain. Just a guess though..
Aircraft cabins are pressurized to an altitude far below many mountain towns who all serve beer on tap no problem. I don't think that's the issue.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
Aircraft cabins are pressurized to an altitude far below many mountain towns who all serve beer on tap no problem. I don't think that's the issue.
Right, not to mention the pressure regulator, which is there to....regulate the pressure.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 12:59 pm

Rather have a Grolsch.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by SchmeckFlyer
I'm guessing these particular tanks haven't been tested and rated for the large number of pressure cycles that they would have to go through.

I would also guess ('cause i'm not an expert) that any containment failure is a bad failure on an aircraft, even if no shrapnel flies around the cabin like popcorn.

Also, how much would that CO2 container change the CO2/N2/O2 mixture in the air and trip a low-oxygen alarm, potentially dropping the oxygen masks unnecessarily? Would it be a dangerous mix to breathe (eg not enough O2)? How long would it take for the system to get the ratio to get back to normal ?

I'd be worried about the explosion from fatigue before that though.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by kmck
Rather have a Grolsch.
Chapeau.

G

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.