Search

EDI-AMS-VIE Immigration @ AMS or VIE?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2015, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Falconflyer Gold, The Ritz-Carlton Silver
EDI-AMS-VIE Immigration @ AMS or VIE?

Hi everyone.

I'm flying EDI-AMS-VIE next week and was wondering if one clears immigration at AMS or at VIE. I only have 50 minutes between the flights, and as a non-EU citizen that has a visa it may take a while. Is it too tight?
Old Mar 11, 2015, 12:08 pm

Programs: AY+ Gold (OWS)
You will clear immigration at AMS since that is your point of entry to the Schengen area.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 12:47 pm

Programs: Flying Blue PFL; IHG Rewards Club Diamond; HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by malioil
Hi everyone.

I'm flying EDI-AMS-VIE next week and was wondering if one clears immigration at AMS or at VIE. I only have 50 minutes between the flights, and as a non-EU citizen that has a visa it may take a while. Is it too tight?
If your luggage is checked through you should be OK. There are short-connection and SkyPriority lanes at the Schengen gates in AMS, so they might help also.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 2:43 pm

It's a legal connection (MCT is something silly like 40 minutes), and you have a good chance of making it - but it's tight as not only do you have to go through Immigration, but you have to re-clear security as well (for now - it's all going to change soon). I have a Privium card (which gets me through Immigration in ten seconds and puts me in a priority line for security), but I still don't like transfers at AMS with less than an hour.

Of course if it's all one ticket then the worst that can happen is that they will put you on the next flight.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies.

I have just looked at KL's timetable for that day, and their next departure leaves at 21:00. I have functions and am entertaining guests the evening of my arrival.

Now I am thinking it would have had been wise to have had booked an earlier flight and spent a few hours at AMS to be safe. Is there a way of changing my ticket to an earlier EDI-AMS flight? As I am an almost exclusive BA/OW/GF flyer I'm not familiar with KL's protocols.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Your connection is valid and doable. Look out for the short connection line at AMS.

Whether or not you can change your flight depends on the conditions that apply to the ticket you selected.

You will not have these conditions waived/relaxed now, just because of a tight (but legal) connection which was how you originally booked the ticket.

Nearly all KLM tickets are changeable, against payment of a change fee, as well as any difference in fare. You would have to do this via the agent that initially sold you the ticket.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Just an update, KLM agent informed me that it was extremely unlikely I make the connection (due to type of visa) and moved me to an earlier flight with a 2 hour connection time for free.

As someone with no status, I am impressed! I cannot imagine BA doing this, perhaps I should fly KL more often especially with the changes at BA.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 2:42 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Thanks for the update. Nicely done, KL! ^
Old Mar 20, 2015, 8:22 am

Programs: LH (SEN), IHG (Plat Amb)
Originally Posted by malioil
Just an update, KLM agent informed me that it was extremely unlikely I make the connection (due to type of visa) and moved me to an earlier flight with a 2 hour connection time for free.

As someone with no status, I am impressed! I cannot imagine BA doing this, perhaps I should fly KL more often especially with the changes at BA.
I am sorry to break the fun, but don't expect this behaviour from KLM all the time, though.

KLM has moved your EDI-AMS to an earlier flight because for them it is cheaper than moving your AMS-VIE to a later flight or pay you a hotel night in case the last AMS-VIE is full, which happens often.

That said, nice that you don't need to stress!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.