Search

KLM houses and security on connections

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2015, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
KLM houses and security on connections

So this may be a really dumb question -- but
I'm making my first BE trip on KLM post 9/11 and the heightened security regime, flying Delta from the US-AMS, the KLM rt to DEL in business. Outbound, not a deal since I won't get the house until my last flight.
But on the return, I'll get a house on the DEL-AMS flight and then connect to a DL flight back to the US.
So, is security at AMS used to this and will let me through with no questions about the liquid containing Delft house, or do I have to open it up and drink the genever in the lounge at AMS so I can bring the house onto my US bound flight. (I do have a 2:55 connection in AMS so I guess I could check my bag to AMS, reclaim, put the house into the checked bag and recheck. But I'm sure this is a regular thing.
BTW outbound I'm flying upstairs, on the return in 4A (none of the single seats are available on the outbound) -- okay seat selections?
Thanks.
tom
Old Feb 4, 2015, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The staff on the DEL-AMS flight will wrap it for you in a tamper-proof duty-free bag which will enable you to go through security at AMS on the day. AMS security staff are familiar with this procedure.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 1:47 pm

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
As far as the house goes: what NickB says.

Regarding the seat: I always prefer the main deck Business Class environment to the upper deck. There tends to be a lot of walking to and forth to the cockpit on the upper deck which I have found annoying on some flights when it is excessive. The main deck is blissfully quiet.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Nick B and sbams. Looking forward to the flight. The DEL fare was roughly the same using KL and AF but the AF flights were not with the upgraded BE -- still the 2-3-2 777s. That really influenced me to KL and the new BE cabins. Although the AF flight to DEL arrives and departs at a slightly more reasonable time.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 5:44 pm

Programs: ❶❷ ใจ ± ♪♪♪ 7¾³ © ™
Originally Posted by sbams
As far as the house goes: what NickB says.

Regarding the seat: I always prefer the main deck Business Class environment to the upper deck. There tends to be a lot of walking to and forth to the cockpit on the upper deck which I have found annoying on some flights when it is excessive. The main deck is blissfully quiet.
Agreed about the comings and goings up stairs. I do like the front row window seat which can make interesting viewing because of the curvature of the cabin.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 12:26 am

Programs: DL Platinum (ST+), JL JGC (ows), NH SFC (*AG)
I know this is an old thread but I have a similar, but more complex question. I'm flying Asia to Europe on KLM, then a series of 3 separate tickets on AB, IB, KLM, and DL to eventually get to the US... and then going back to Asia via Europe on another 3 separate tickets. How will the house work going through all those security checks in europe and the US? Is it fine anywhere as long as I keep it in the bag?
Old Jul 28, 2017, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
You would be advised to put the sealed bag containing the Delft huisje into your checked luggage at the earliest opportunity, i.e. carry it as hand luggage for the remainder of that day's flying, but then transfer it to your checked luggage for all further flights.

You should NOT still be carrying it as hand luggage 7 flights, 3 weeks and 2 continents later...
Old Jul 28, 2017, 12:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Three separate tickets...good luck with that.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 1:07 am

Alternatively drink the gin at your earliest opportunity
Old Jul 28, 2017, 1:38 am
Original Poster

Exactly my suggestion. I collected a house flying JFK-AMS on 7/4. Subsequent intra-EU flights PRG-BRU-CPH and return home CPH-PRG-JFK-DCA, all carry on. Empty houses are just fine.
But fwiw, I collected a house flying AMS-YYZ last summer, intending to put in my checked bag for YYZ-DTW-DCA but my checked bag missed the flight to YYZ. I had no problems bringing the full house through security at YYZ in my carry on.
Off topic, but interesting - KL arranged for the misconnected bag to follow me to DCA, but it didn't fly YYZ-DTW-DCA. The bag seems to have crossed the US-CA border by courier to BUF and then flew BUF-DTW-DCA.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Delayed bags cannot, by definition, travel with the owner.

Therefore, it makes no sense to route the bag along the same (but delayed) itinerary that their owner originally took if there is an alternate/better/cheaper way for the airline to fulfil their obligation to return the bag to its owner. At that stage, the bags are mere freight, and can forwarded in the manner that the airline sees fit.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 2:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28

Therefore, it makes no sense to route the bag along the same (but delayed) itinerary that their owner originally took if there is an alternate/better/cheaper way for the airline to fulfil their obligation to return the bag to its owner. At that stage, the bags are mere freight, and can forwarded in the manner that the airline sees fit.
The most direct routing when the bag arrived the next day would have been an Air Canada nonstop to DCA. Or to stay in SkyTeam, send it on DL.
But I expect the most efficient/least problematic way to bring an unaccompanied bag into the US from Canada is over the land border and not to try to fly it unaccompanied.

Just thought it interesting.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by irishguy28
You should NOT still be carrying it as hand luggage 7 flights, 3 weeks and 2 continents later...
I'm not in the habit of flying RTW with huisjes, but on the other hand these huisjes never travel directly home with me either.

I've carried up to four (or more, on occasion) huisjes in my hand luggage on any number of flights, and never had any issues. Full huisjes, I might add, I do not drink gin.

Johan
Old Jul 28, 2017, 3:14 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Like Johan, I have had no issues at JFK and a number of other airports when I just kept them in my bag. Full, sealed.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 4:18 am

Programs: DL Platinum (ST+), JL JGC (ows), NH SFC (*AG)
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Three separate tickets...good luck with that.
Yeah, it wasn't supposed to be so many tickets, but I bought a €300 roundtrip ticket from DUS to RSW on DL back in February, and figured the rest out later. I actually have just added yet another ticket onto the whole trip...

Originally Posted by Ditto
Alternatively drink the gin at your earliest opportunity
I have decided that is the best idea! I'll enjoy it upon arrival in MAD and then just carry the empty house all over the place before I get back to Japan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.