Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Non-Schengen to Schengen transfer at AMS: where can I go?

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2014, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Location: NYC (formative years spent wandering around ORD, hence the name)
Programs: NO STATUS WHATSOEVER!
Non-Schengen to Schengen transfer at AMS: where can I go?

I'm considering a JFK-AMS-MAD itinerary with KL for the first segment and a KL/UX codeshare for the second segment.

I've been to AMS before, but only in the Schengen area near the B/C gates. That area is nicer than most airports, but all the parts of Schiphol mentioned as great things to do during a layover (Holland Boulevard, etc.) appear to be in the non-Schengen-only area.

After arriving from JFK, would I be limited to the small area outside the B/C gates only?
Old May 30, 2014, 7:25 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
After arriving into AMS, you will be in non-Schengen airside; there is no separate non-Schengen arrivals and departure areas.
Old May 30, 2014, 7:26 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
As you'll be arriving in the non-Schengen part of the airport, you will have the opportunity to visit places located therein. At some point, however, you will have to pass through immigration and security, to get to the B/C gates.

It's up to you how and where you want to split your waiting time - however, be aware that, at certain times of day, the lines at immigration can be very long, as also at the security checkpoint; once you're in the Schengen side, of course, you can relax without stress, as the gates are all relatively close-by and there'll be no more checkpoints to negotiate.

Incidentally, how long is you transfer time at AMS?

-- Henry
Old May 30, 2014, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Location: NYC (formative years spent wandering around ORD, hence the name)
Programs: NO STATUS WHATSOEVER!
Wonderful - thanks to Henry III and seawolf. I was assuming transfers operated as at CDG2 (where one must go directly to airside for the onward Schengen flight), but I see this is more similar to MUC T2 (where one can wait in the non-Schengen airside and then proceed into the Schengen airside).

I have several hours, so no worries about timing even if the inbound is late or the lines for immigration/security are long.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 12:48 pm

Programs: IC Amb.,FB,Hertz,Sixt
You could also go out into the main airport, there are plenty of shops and restaurants there. Then just go to the Gate B/C Schengen area, there is a security check to go through. In the end that may well be faster than the airside line. The shops out in the airport are also more normal prices.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 2:13 pm

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
Originally Posted by ninjalad
You could also go out into the main airport, there are plenty of shops and restaurants there. Then just go to the Gate B/C Schengen area, there is a security check to go through. In the end that may well be faster than the airside line. The shops out in the airport are also more normal prices.
^

And, if the weather is nice, basking in the sunshine outside of Schiphol Plaza is highly relaxing, and there are, invariably, one or two 'interesting' characters about! (But you'll be perfectly safe, unless you happen to be hit by a security guard on his one-wheeler, or a local cop on his two-wheeler.)

-- Henry
Old Jun 4, 2014, 2:24 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by O'Hare Terminal 4
After arriving from JFK, would I be limited to the small area outside the B/C gates only?
Nobody is keeping you at the airport, after arrival you will be free to go anywhere....
Old Jun 12, 2014, 9:39 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by Henry III
^

And, if the weather is nice, basking in the sunshine outside of Schiphol Plaza is highly relaxing, and there are, invariably, one or two 'interesting' characters about! (But you'll be perfectly safe, unless you happen to be hit by a security guard on his one-wheeler, or a local cop on his two-wheeler.)

-- Henry
Or, the observation deck. I really like it up there. There is a bar/restaurant outside (or, perhaps, more aptly described as the outdoor section of the restaurant on that level).

Quite an enjoyable venue on a sunny and warm day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.