Wiki Posts
Search

KLM launches pilot with one-way tickets

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2014, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Plat for Life, HHonors Gold
KLM launches pilot with one-way tickets

KLM is introducing one-way tickets in Europe - as a pilot - and at a price. Until now, OWs were only available in J- and Y-classes, now also in T-, L-, U-, M- and B-classes. Price is 70% of a return ticket. The pilot is for a limited number of destinations only (see Dutch text below)

Pilot enkele reis tarieven Europa
KLM introduceert bij wijze van een pilot enkele reis tarieven (OW's) naar een aantal bestemmingen in Europa. Naast de huidige OW's in de Y- en J-class worden er OW's geintroduceerd in de T-, L-, U-, M- en B-class naar Basel (BSL), Bergen (BGO), Bremen (BRE), Bristol (BRS), Boekarest (BUH), Dusseldorf (DUS), Humberside (HUY), Istanboel (IST), Keulen (CGN), Stuttgart (STR) en Warschau (WAW). De enkele reis tarieven zijn 70% van het Allin-retour tarief en zijn reeds in uw CRS beschikbaar.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 9:26 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
So a one-way would be 70% of the return price of a T-fare. Which still will be much more expensive than a roundtrip in G/V where one would simply not fly the return portion.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Better late than never, I suppose.

Luchtvaartnieuws.nl gives an example of a one-way fare to BSL of €184.--, which they compare to the fare to ZRH of ± €500.--

I have just booked an AMS-CPH one-way with SK for €77.46.

Johan
Old Jan 22, 2014, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by johan rebel

I have just booked an AMS-CPH one-way with SK for €77.46.
And I have a forthcoming return on that route with SAS for, IIRC, €92!
Old Jan 23, 2014, 12:53 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Its a shame they don't just move to one way pricing like BA for short haul.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 2:28 am

Programs: FB Gold
BA did it because they are facing the full force of the Low Cost Carriers.
LCCs charge each leg seperately with little premium for o/w.

Out of London you can fly so many LCCs these days. Maybe 8 or 10 LCCs?
KLM are still insulated from this. KLM still think a EUR150 is a reasonable price for a o/w ticket. In the UK those fares were last seen circa 2003.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 4:26 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
When I read the thread title I thought they were going to launch a KLM pilot (using a catapult or similar device) and give him a one way ticket to return to AMS.

On a serious note, 70% of a T fare RT is certainly a step in the right direction. Hopefully, in time, KLM will offer reasonable OW fares.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 7:49 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Well, Ryanair is said to start flying from AMS in the near future. I hope that will drive KLs prices down (and not their service levels!!!).
Old Jan 23, 2014, 8:32 am

Programs: FB Gold
In the early 2000s I used to fly MAN-AMS-BUD rtn for GBP190

When the first LCC started on the MAN-BUD route their price was GBP60 including a hold bag. Later they started adding check-in, bag and credit card charges.
For the last 5 years the price has been at around GBP100 rtn with all charges included, rising to GBP150 at holiday times. Hold bag is an extra GBP50 rtn.

MAN-BUD is much cheaper now than in 2000, but the glory days of dirt cheap were in 2005.

BTW KLM are still charging the same as in 2000: GBP190

Last edited by MANman; Jan 26, 2014 at 5:21 pm Reason: to make it clearer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.