Wiki Posts
Search

luggage removal at AMS

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2013, 3:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Platinum
luggage removal at AMS

My flight from AMS-LHR keeps getting delayed because of fog in London. Thing is, other carriers haven't had the same level of delay. The agents in lounge 52 keep insisting that it's "not possible"--never ever, in the entire history of aviation--to take bags off a flight (even one that's now not taking off for another two hours at least), which they'd need to to rebook me on another carrier.

Is this true just of KL? of AMS? Do I have any recourse here? My flight--KL 1009--is already more than 3 hours delayed, and it's getting to the point where I'm going to miss my appointment in London.

And just to forestall the comment: yes, I had to check a bag for this trip.

If it matters, this is the second leg of TXL-AMS-LHR.

Also if it matters, the ticket was purchased on DL but with KL flight numbers.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I have been quoted a fee of €225 per bag in order to have bags delivered at AMS when connecting there on a KL ticket (i.e. in similar circumstances to you, where bags are checked through to a final destination other than AMS).

It is possible, but they will probably insist on payment (or re-calculating the fare for the ticket you flew) if you insist on ending your journey "early" in Amsterdam and do not travel the booked itinerary.

I know it sucks - but what is your plan? Head over to the competition and book a walk-up ticket with them?

You're probably as well off waiting. LHR and LCY are fogbound.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 4:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Platinum
Thanks, irishguy28. As it turns out, for the time being waiting is all I can do, as the other flights I might have gotten on have either left, are full, or are cancelled. My flight--assuming it keeps to the 3 1/4 hour delay currently announced (which I don't believe)--currently is the next one out.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Fingers crossed.

Murphy's Law would kick in if you got your bag back, anyway - as soon as you'd offloaded yourself from the flight, it would start boarding, and the one you switched to would linger on for hours before being cancelled.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 8:29 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
If your delay would exceed 5 hours, you have the right to terminate your travel. Not sure what happens in that case with luggage and return flights if you were connecting.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 11:35 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by irishguy28
I know it sucks - but what is your plan? Head over to the competition and book a walk-up ticket with them?
Remember, in AMS Thalys to Brussels + Eurostar are always an alternative. I resorted to that when I was stuck in LCY for 5 hours last year until BA finally cancelled the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.