Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade to Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2013, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: FlyingBlue, Executive Club
Upgrade to Business Class

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and new to the airline world . So excuse me for not using abbreviations :P.

I'm going to fly on the 8 of April from AMS to MAD in economy (G) and I wonder if somehow I can upgrade that to Business Class. I've looked on the KLM website, but I can't find any real information there other then if it's possible you can do it.

The real question I guess is can you upgrade from any economy booking class to bussiness class?
Old Mar 22, 2013, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
From http://www.klm.com/travel/nl_en/plan...ions/index.htm

G is the cheapest economy class there is. You can't upgrade with miles. If you pay to upgrade, you will end up paying far more than if you had just bought a business-class ticket to begin with (change fee plus the difference in fare).

By the way - in case you didn't know - business class on European flights just means you get to sit in an almost identical seat at the front of the plane - in front of the curtain which can move depending on the loads - though the middle seat will be kept vacant, and instead of a bag of bird seed you get a box of bird seed.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: FlyingBlue, Executive Club
thanks irishguy28, I searched the KLM website but came up with nothing (at least not the list you've got). I know business on European flights isn't the same as on intercontinental flight, but you have to start somewhere!
Old Mar 22, 2013, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
No problem! I'd advise you to hold on to your money and spend it more wisely on something fun in Madrid.

Fijne reis!
Old Mar 22, 2013, 10:05 am

Programs: FB Silver, EK Gold, *A Gold, BAEC,KM
Irishguy is correct, keep your guilders (pun) for a decent business experience long-haul. EU BC travel is awful with KL/AF.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 8:30 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Welcome to Flyertalk!

On a side note, during online check-in they may offer you an upgrade to Europe Business Class, price normally between E79 and E159 for intra-EU.
If you want to try the EB-product this may be the cheaper option.

Gajan
Old Mar 23, 2013, 8:44 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Just sit in the eco chair for the 2 hours, you're not missing anything
Old Mar 26, 2013, 3:46 am

And don't bother with Economy Comfort either, unless you are very tall. You get a few millimetres of extra legroom, but that's all. The only time it's worth paying for is if you're on a tight connection and you want to get off quickly - but even then an aisle seat further back probably works just as well.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 7:12 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
And don't bother with Economy Comfort either, unless you are very tall. You get a few millimetres of extra legroom, but that's all. The only time it's worth paying for is if you're on a tight connection and you want to get off quickly - but even then an aisle seat further back probably works just as well.
It depends. I have noticed that generally there are two ways of disembarking, depending on what the people in the first few rows choose:

People leave row-by-row, meaning further back does make you leave later
or
People at the isles leave directly, people in AB / EF seats follow when all isle pax have left.

However besides that I agree: A few extra cm space and that is about it. I do appreciated the space as I am quite tall, and it ever-so-slightly does increase the level of comfort.

Having said that, generally the size of the person sitting next to you affects the levels of comfort much much more
Old Mar 30, 2013, 3:34 am
Koc

Because of an unknown error upon OLCI I had to call KLM customer service, the agent stated it is not posible to upgrade to WBC with miles at all. This can't be right?
Old Mar 30, 2013, 4:05 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Koc
Because of an unknown error upon OLCI I had to call KLM customer service, the agent stated it is not posible to upgrade to WBC with miles at all. This can't be right?
Mileage upgrade (miles only) is only possible when you are booked in full fare Economy.
If you are not in full fare Economy, you can possibly upgrade with both miles AND cash (cash to buy up to higher Eco bucket).
You may also be given a discounted cash upgrade offer.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 4:07 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Koc
Why can't that be right? Only a handful fares are eligible to be upgraded with miles. See the first reply by irishguy28 :-)
Old Mar 30, 2013, 4:16 am
Koc

I'm on H fare, that's economy flexible on intercontinental travel. Suppose you don't need full flex to be eligible for miles upgrade?
Old Mar 30, 2013, 4:26 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Koc
I'm on H fare, that's economy flexible on intercontinental travel. Suppose you don't need full flex to be eligible for miles upgrade?
You do. U, M, B and Y are upgradeable.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 4:29 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Why don't you simply look at the fare schedule that's in the second post..... There is a link there, that bring you to the KLM page. Everything you need is there....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.