Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Plane to train at Schiphol in 34 minutes?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2010, 2:43 am
Original Poster

Plane to train at Schiphol in 34 minutes?

Arriving on Friday evening from GLA at 7:10pm, and would like to catch the 7:44pm train as it's the last non stop service. Can this to be done bearing in mind i'll need to collect a bag as well?

Thanks
Old Oct 6, 2010, 3:07 am

Programs: FB-LTPE
Originally Posted by alasdair_m
Arriving on Friday evening from GLA at 7:10pm, and would like to catch the 7:44pm train as it's the last non stop service. Can this to be done bearing in mind i'll need to collect a bag as well?

Thanks
Your chances will be very slim, I rarely was out the airport within 34 minutes.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 3:47 am
ixs

Programs: Many
It is possible but I'd consider your chances very slim.
Luggage is rarely delivered faster than 20mins after reaching the gate.

If you need to buy a train ticket as well, you're definitely pushing your luck there.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 5:09 am

And don't forget the Polderbaan...
Old Oct 6, 2010, 5:59 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Originally Posted by ixs
If you need to buy a train ticket as well, you're definitely pushing your luck there.
You can buy your ticket online (www.ns.nl) and do home-print, but with luggage buying the train ticket is not the problem as others have said, waiting for luggage will be the main problem.

Gajan
Old Oct 6, 2010, 6:04 am

Programs: Flying Blue, easyJet Plus (!)
Without a checked bag possibly, as if you play the game right you can get through AMS very quickly (train->plane in less than 15 minutes was my record, and that was a very distant D gate).

But with a checked bag on KLM I'd say no chance. It is *notoriously* slow - you may wait 30 minutes or more for your bag if unlucky.

Neil
Old Oct 6, 2010, 8:58 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Without bag; no problem. Usually the flight will arrive before the scheduled time anyway.

With checked luggage it might be pushing your luck. You can actually buy a train ticket while youre waiting for the luggage, they have the yellow vending machines right there (At the Shengen zone at least). But it totally depends on how quickly your luggage arrives.

Keep in mind that if you have 30 minutes delay, and you miss the last train connection...klm will not be liable for additional costs of a hotel etc. So make sure you have a 'backup' place to crash if you are unable to make the connection.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 11:01 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
I wouldn't count on it. Even if your flight is early. Many delaying factors, possibly Polderbaan, far gate, passport control and surely bag reclaim will take some time. Mostly 15/20 min after you arrived at the belt (or maybe I'm unlucky) unless you have a priority tag. Buy your ticket while waiting and study the map so you will know where you have to go. Where are you travelling to, if you don't mind asking?
Old Oct 6, 2010, 12:15 pm

I have waited up to 30 minutes for my bag to arrive off flights from NWI in recent memory... so I agree with others, your chances are extremely slim.

Back in the 1990s I used to regularly catch a train to Brussels at around 1945 after getting off a flight from CBG (Cambridge) at 1925... but Schiphol was smaller then, and I never had checked baggage.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Going to s'Hertogenbosch. There are trains every half an hour well into the night with a change at Utrecht. The last direct train (didn't mean non stop) is at 7:44pm.

I will be checking in a bag, so I think i'll go with the leisurely stroll option to the train.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I wouldn't worry about not making the 19:44 - the later trains only require a simple change at Utrecht, from platform 14 to platform 15, and don't actually take any longer to reach Den Bosch than the direct service (trains have a habit of stopping in Utrecht for ages, as it's a major interchange point).
Old Oct 6, 2010, 1:26 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
I find travelling with a bag on de Dutch railways not inconvenient at all, only space for suitcases isn't available. It's perfectly doable also with a change of trains. Changing in Utrecht or Amsterdam Bijlmer is just crossing the platform, mostly with only a 7min. connecting time so no need for waiting and trains going every half an hour. Changing at Amsterdam Central is not recommendable. Schiphol station is just under Schiphol plaza.
Enjoy your trip, hope it goes smoothly!

Cheers,

Ralph
Old Oct 6, 2010, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
I find travelling with a bag on de Dutch railways not inconvenient at all, only space for suitcases isn't available.
Depends on the train. The double-deck trains all have space between where the rears of seats touch to stash a suit case. Alternatively, when seated at a four-seater you can just keep it in front of you most of the time. Usually at that time the trains aren't full enough for that to be a problem.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 3:48 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Originally Posted by CyBeR
Depends on the train. The double-deck trains all have space between where the rears of seats touch to stash a suit case. Alternatively, when seated at a four-seater you can just keep it in front of you most of the time. Usually at that time the trains aren't full enough for that to be a problem.
True, or sit at the "special" seats by the doors where they have extra room for bicycles, luggage and wheelchair passengers.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 6:52 am

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
You most likely will not make it, unless you are quite lucky. I would plan on a later train service; as other have said, the connection in Utrecht is not too bad.

I have been very lucky once. Arriving from a JNB service that landed very early, I was home with we should have been arriving at Schiphol. There was no queue at immigration, the bags were already circling in the baggage hall, and there was a train practically waiting for me as I emerged into Schiphol Plaza. Very nice! But very lucky too...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.