Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

"please thank our pilot for getting us here safetly"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2009, 10:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA

This is what the FA said after landing in BOS on a recent AUS-BOS flight, as reported by my parents. They thought the comment was out of line and a bit ridiculous. What other choice did the pilot have, after all? Should he really be thanked for doing his job?

Is this line B6 policy or just a FA adlibbing a bit?
Old Jul 29, 2009, 10:16 am

Programs: CO PE, DL PM
maybe there was some sort of inflight issue that the passengers were not aware of ...
Old Jul 29, 2009, 10:19 am

Did the FA really add the T? I think I've heard similar announcements on express flights, but never on an airplane with more than 50 seats.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
Should he really be thanked for doing his job?
Should is always relative, but given the opportunity (door open) I definitely shout "thanks" into the cockpit. I also thank my cab drivers and even the bus or subway guy if they're around. Being nice doesn't really hurt all that much.

As to whether it is policy, no.
Originally Posted by gj83
Did the FA really add the T?

Last edited by sbm12; Jul 29, 2009 at 11:06 am Reason: poorly timed typo
Old Jul 29, 2009, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by sbm12
Should is always relative, but given the opportunity (door open) I definitely shout "thanks" into the cockpit. I also thank my cab drivers and even the bus or subway guy if they're around. Being nice doesn't really hurst all that much.
Do you really add the S?

Originally Posted by sbm12

Mike
Old Jul 29, 2009, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by mikeef
Do you really add the S?
Karma's a bi**h, huh.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 4:10 pm

Programs: WN A-List
Last Saturday the passengers broke out into applause when we touched down in ORD. The only explanation I could think of is some turbulence we experienced on decent. That and the high proportion of teenagers on board...
Old Jul 29, 2009, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by Dunbar
Last Saturday the passengers broke out into applause when we touched down in ORD. The only explanation I could think of is some turbulence we experienced on decent. That and the high proportion of teenagers on board...
Heh, the applause cabins are always fun. I've been in one on every trip to Vegas--must be the atmosphere.

Policy, no, but it never hurts. It may be peculiar to suggest that customers thank the pilot, but I wouldn't call it inappropriate or out of line. My mailman is paid to bring me my mail, but on the rare occasion that we cross paths, I say thanks. Everytime the waitress refills my glass, I thank her, even though it's her job.

Maybe it's culture, or a regional thing. I would never expect someone to thank me for doing my job, nor do I feel required to thank someone for doing theirs, but a little kindness never hurt.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by caphis
Heh, the applause cabins are always fun. I've been in one on every trip to Vegas--must be the atmosphere.

Policy, no, but it never hurts. It may be peculiar to suggest that customers thank the pilot, but I wouldn't call it inappropriate or out of line. My mailman is paid to bring me my mail, but on the rare occasion that we cross paths, I say thanks. Everytime the waitress refills my glass, I thank her, even though it's her job.

Maybe it's culture, or a regional thing. I would never expect someone to thank me for doing my job, nor do I feel required to thank someone for doing theirs, but a little kindness never hurt.
But in all of these cases presumably no one told you to thank the person. You thanked the mailman out of your own volition.

There's a difference between being polite and giving thanks on your own and being told to do so by the airline.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
But in all of these cases presumably no one told you to thank the person. You thanked the mailman out of your own volition.

There's a difference between being polite and giving thanks on your own and being told to do so by the airline.
I agree, and on that end of it, I say:

It may be peculiar to suggest that customers thank the pilot, but I wouldn't call it inappropriate or out of line.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

I agree, and on that end of it, I say:
Agreed about the peculiar part.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 11:27 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, UA 1K, SPG Plat
If it was flight 1264 on Wed 29 July (which I was on), I think the pilot(s) deserve the thanks. Check out the routing for yourself: http://flightaware.com/live/flight/J...703Z/KAUS/KBOS

It was a very bumpy flight and to your parents' point, he did a great job which meant that most people probably didn't notice the routing around the huge storm system and took the flight for granted. Probably were even annoyed that we arrived nine minutes late!
Old Aug 3, 2009, 10:15 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Thread bumped because I had overlooked the fact that the prior post was awaiting mod review for the hyperlink. My apologies to nativeATL and forum readers.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nativeATL
If it was flight 1264 on Wed 29 July
It was not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.