Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

TrueBlue Plan Seems Bad for Frequent Flyers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2009, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, CO Silver

I was wondering what the thoughts were of the TrueBlue Plan was for frequent flyers. As far as I could tell, there is no benefit or "status" for those who fly regularly (free upgrades, early boarding, etc). While the TrueBlue program may be good for folks flying a couple times a year, those flying every week would be much better off getting miles on a more conventional airline.

Am I missing something?
Old Jul 10, 2009, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by booper
While the TrueBlue program may be good for folks flying a couple times a year, those flying every week would be much better off getting miles on a more conventional airline.
I disagree. TrueBlue is useless for folks flying a couple of times a year.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 11:25 pm

Programs: SWA Companion, Airtran A+, United Premier, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Hertz 5*, Avis First
No question, you have to use the airline frequently to get free flights... but you are flying jetblue, so I'll still take that over E+ w. my united status.
Old Jul 11, 2009, 3:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nerd
I disagree. TrueBlue is useless for folks flying a couple of times a year.
This is absolutely true.

But someone flying every week is also probably not doing best by TrueBlue. The reward options are VERY limited in terms of destinations and frequencies. They simply do not have the broad reach of larger carriers, networks and alliances. If you're flying enough to redeem a few rewards in jetBlue you're also flying enough to redeem for a front cabin seat to Europe or Asia with the bigger carriers. I like the jetBlue product, but not enough to forgo the better reward options that I have elsewhere.

Pre-boarding is a benefit that I can just as easily do without though certainly it is nice to have overhead space available at the front of the coach section. I'd learn to get by if that wasn't available.

The 34" pitch is great, too, but I can fit fine in 31" if I have to and there are other options in other programs, like upgrades, E+, exit rows, etc. It is not compelling to me.

The realm of folks who actually truly do best with the TrueBlue program is a pretty narrow set. It is folks who only like to fly to places that B6 serves and who do so with sufficient frequencies to generate reward tickets somewhat regularly. There are very few markets where B6 is the only player in town so odds are there is always another option for folks if they want it.

ps- Welcome to FlyerTalk, booper!
Old Jul 11, 2009, 6:47 am

Programs: trueblue ,mileageplus skymiles, hilton honors silver
trueblue

It's not bad for those non frequently fliers . I fly on B6 2 /3 times a year and usually get a free trip (2 1 way tickets ) by using the Amex credit card. I am one of those who does the FLA shuttle, and its easy to get the free ticket during the summer. The problem with B6 is that they do not have a lot of frequencies on the other routes (JFK/SEA).. and so there are fewer flights . If I flew on a weekly basis I would expect something more (unless their flights were so much cheaper then I could save a forutne and use it to buy my own reward) . They are not a big airline so that is one of their limitations (as well as IRROPS issues from some of the smaller outposts) . I fly them because its a nice product at a decent price (and they know have FLA nonstops from HPN (so I can avoid JFK/LGA/EWR) ).
Old Jul 12, 2009, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by bmg42000
It's not bad for those non frequently fliers . I fly on B6 2 /3 times a year and usually get a free trip (2 1 way tickets ) by using the Amex credit card.
Those are two VERY different things - one who earns via CC points and one who earns via flying.

You're getting ~70% of your points from CC it seems based on your post. That's ~$18K in spend annually. The same amount funneled through the SPG AmEx would be worth a LOT more in value, I think. And that is just one of the alternatives available.

For someone who earns based on flying the TB program really is not very good at either the very frequent or very infrequent levels.
Old Jul 12, 2009, 6:59 am

B6 and true blue

I actually average about 3 trips to FLA (16 points per round trip ) = 48 points overall . I get about 3 to 4 points per month from the credit card so that adds up to 48 points per year (600 per month spending ) . With my travel patterns I am better off not worrying about the frequent flyer program but just taking the cheapest seat. B6 has the best times and most often fares (as well as the TV which makes my son happy ) . Once CO gets the TV's installed I will start to fly them (although whenever I look their prices from EWR are very high ) if they have the best price and times .
Old Jul 12, 2009, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Just curious why you think TrueBlue is useless for those flying a couple times per year. It seems to accumulate points towards flights faster (provided you book online) than other airlines when you are not getting double miles. When you hit 2nd or 3rd tier status, the double miles accumulate free flights faster than TrueBlue.

I did like my JetBlue flight, but I liked my first class upgrade when I hit FO status on Delta more. At my current rate of flying, I should hit Plat on Delta, so that seems the better way to go.

Originally Posted by sbm12

ps- Welcome to FlyerTalk, booper!
Thanks! Good stuff here.
Old Jul 12, 2009, 8:58 am

Flying on Jetblue

I agree the being plat on Delta is better then Jetblue . The main problem with Jetblue is that the credit expires after one year unless you have the Amex credit card. One nice thing about true blue awards is that they can be split into 2 1 way trips. Unfortunatley for non elites its general getting harder to use the miles on most airlines.
Old Jul 12, 2009, 12:13 pm
Original Member

I sent an e-mail to Jet Blue about the expiration of credits. Yes - my wife and I can get an AMEX card but our 2 year old cannot and therefore, his credits would expire.

The e-mail I got back was:

Although at this time we only extend points for customers who have the JetBlue card by American Express, our TrueBlue program will receive great enhancements on the near future.

Please stay tuned for our TrueBlue enhancements starting this fall!

So maybe that will help address the issue.
Old Jul 12, 2009, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by booper
Just curious why you think TrueBlue is useless for those flying a couple times per year. It seems to accumulate points towards flights faster (provided you book online) than other airlines when you are not getting double miles.
The points expire after 12 months so unless you get 100 points in that period you get nothing for the flying. You may not get a ton from the other programs but at least you can keep them 12 months later without paying a ransom to AmEx to keep them.

I would bet that the expiry horizon will be extended - possibly even kept alive so long as you keep flying - with TB2, but there are many other things that seem to be likely with the new program (most significantly dollar-value for point redemptions like eleVAte) that would keep me from using it as a primary program.

I've actually finally booked a flight on B6 for the first time in over 18 months because I wanted to fly the E90 and the timing was marginally better than the alternatives. I know that I'm essentially throwing the points away but I'm willing to give up the minuscule points of the NYC-JAX route for the better dinner options at JFK T5 and the later departure time that B6 offers. And it was the same price as the other options.
Old Jul 12, 2009, 12:36 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Don't make any long-term decisions based on the current structure of TrueBlue. TrueBlue2 is due soon, and that will upset your calculations.
Old Jul 12, 2009, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the explanation - I hadn't read the fine print, but assumed that TrueBlue points get extended everytime you take a flight, like every other airline... hope they do change that, as some have been alluding to!

Originally Posted by sbm12
The points expire after 12 months so unless you get 100 points in that period you get nothing for the flying. You may not get a ton from the other programs but at least you can keep them 12 months later without paying a ransom to AmEx to keep them.

I would bet that the expiry horizon will be extended - possibly even kept alive so long as you keep flying - with TB2, but there are many other things that seem to be likely with the new program (most significantly dollar-value for point redemptions like eleVAte) that would keep me from using it as a primary program.

I've actually finally booked a flight on B6 for the first time in over 18 months because I wanted to fly the E90 and the timing was marginally better than the alternatives. I know that I'm essentially throwing the points away but I'm willing to give up the minuscule points of the NYC-JAX route for the better dinner options at JFK T5 and the later departure time that B6 offers. And it was the same price as the other options.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 11:20 am

Programs: bonvoy lifetime titanium, UA 1k, BR gold
while the ff program might not offer as many perks, in general, as someone with no status in ff programs, i prefer jb over airlines like aa, delta, united, us airways..... my domestic airlines of choice tend to be sw/jb/va

with competitive pricing... and the fact that jet blue still serves softdrinks and snacks on the plane.... along with the in flight entertainment... all for the economy pricing...
Old Jul 13, 2009, 11:26 am

I fly RT cross-country about once a month, so the current TrueBlue program is great for this frequent flyer. It basically works out to about 1 free round-trip for every 3 purchased.

Granted, my usage is probably in the minority, but I'm not looking forward to the rumored TB2 changes. A dollar-based program a la VA's Elevate will certainly decrease my loyalty to flying B6.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.