Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

#1 Reason to Pay Attention to Safety Demo

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2008, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: jetBlue TrueBlue, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors Diamond

American Airlines 757 Evacuates at LAX

Happened today and was seen live. Check for your closest exits and jump into the slides! I haven't had to do this with JetBlue but have done it in the past and the biggest problem that I saw was people stopping at the top of the slide and getting scared. This is not a time to get scared about going down an inflatable slide. If you're on my plane and stop at the top of the slide, be far warned you are going to get my foot in your tush pushing you out!
Old Aug 6, 2008, 5:24 am

As smooth as that evac was, it will not live in the minds of pax long enough for them to ask "why are they taking so long to bring the drink cart out"?! Surely they are aware of service standards!
Old Aug 6, 2008, 9:45 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Some people on that plane missed the "leave your personal belongings behind" part of the safety demo. Which, IME, is stated quite clearly and effectively in the video version of the safety demo, and I think the AA 757s use the video safety demo.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 10:41 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Originally Posted by ty97
Some people on that plane missed the "leave your personal belongings behind" part of the safety demo. Which, IME, is stated quite clearly and effectively in the video version of the safety demo, and I think the AA 757s use the video safety demo.
Of course, there is also the card in the seat pocket. That also shows how to deploy and use the slides, and not to take baggage when evacuating.

A sensible thing for a passenger to do is:

a. Wear shoes that you can walk / run in (no high heels).
b. Keep your most essential items (ID, money / ATM card, credit cards, cell phone, passport if flying internationally) on you, not in your bags. If you evacuate and the plane burns, you'll likely have a much easier time if you have those items.
c. Immediately after boarding, read the safety card, and check the locations of emergency exits relative to your seat.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 12:57 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles Gold, Hilton HHonors Diamond, and Royal Caribbean Pinnacle Club
I just want to add that if your seated in a exit row, REVIEW the safety card and the placards posted on or around the exit. Also to be prepare to help evacuate the aircraft when the time comes. There is a reason why you agree to sit in the exit row. You can also notice that the over wing exits were not even used in the evacuation.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 1:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Airlines Gold
Originally Posted by SkaterJasp
I just want to add that if your seated in a exit row, REVIEW the safety card and the placards posted on or around the exit. Also to be prepare to help evacuate the aircraft when the time comes. There is a reason why you agree to sit in the exit row. You can also notice that the over wing exits were not even used in the evacuation.
I flew with a girl who at her previous airline had to prepare the cabin for a possible evacuation (APU fire). Although an evacuation was not required in the end when she approached the exit row all of a sudden they all wanted to move and have nothing to do with assisting. She rightly so called them out as she was finding volunteers, an unnecessary time consuming thing during an emergency. Now, with her experience, we both ensure during our pre departure exit row briefings we get strong confirmation that they are WILLING and able to assist. It's not just the legroom folks.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 8:55 am

Programs: DELTA PM, CO Platinum, PLAT AMEX
When asked if I can open the emergency exits over the wings, I always tell the FA that i will ski down the wing with the window. People laugh.

But Im on it, and will open that thing so quick.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.