Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

(nice) New Feature on jetblue.com

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2008, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond

Not the first airline to do it, but they now show you the lowest fair available each day for a full week (a few days before and a few days after) plus they tell you how many seats are available at that fare.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 10:19 am

Programs: Credit Cards
i know its great

now I don't have to go to farecompare.com

--Russ
Old Jun 4, 2008, 10:46 am

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, HHonors
I saw that feature the other day, also. The only other thing I would like to see is if they would allow you to compare metropolitan airports in the NYC, Bay, and LA areas.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Seat13c
I saw that feature the other day, also. The only other thing I would like to see is if they would allow you to compare metropolitan airports in the NYC, Bay, and LA areas.

That is a fantastic idea. Why didn't I think of it?
Old Jun 4, 2008, 12:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Seat13c
ITA is your friend. Since all JetBlue fares are one-way anyways the search feature on ITA is particularly friendly for this.
To:SFO;OAK;SJC

Piece of cake.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 1:13 pm

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, HHonors
Originally Posted by sbm12
ITA is your friend. Since all JetBlue fares are one-way anyways the search feature on ITA is particularly friendly for this.
To:SFO;OAK;SJC

Piece of cake.
Thanks for the tip.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 7:09 pm

Programs: jetBlue TrueBlue, AAdvantage
This new feature is really cool, even how it shows the number of remaining seats at the current fare.
Also in response to the comment about allowing the system to show all of the Metro airports in an area (ie: NYC (JFK, LGA, EWR)), I had "spoken up" about this several times at received replies by crewmembers that they try to take all of suggestions into consideration. I really hope they can provide this new feature, it would be an awesome addition to what they have just rolled out.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 8:54 pm

Just remember that the # of seats is at that point in time, and that airline revenue management is a fickle group, with buckets opening and closing based on any number of metrics. All the travel vendors seem to be moving in the direction of showing the "only NN seats left at this price" thing. It is a psychology thing much more than it is a useful predictor of whether ticket prices will change next week for the same flight.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 10:13 pm
Suspended

All the travel vendors seem to be moving in the direction of showing the "only NN seats left at this price" thing. It is a psychology thing much more than it is a useful predictor of whether ticket prices will change next week for the same flight.
The sole purpose is to entice the customer to buy NOW. As in: "hurrry, you will miss out on this low price, because tomorrow it will be higher!"
Old Jun 6, 2008, 1:15 am

Programs: TrueBlue, HHonors
Knowledge, whether intended to illicit a response(in this case, purchase) or not, is always beneficial.

The one thing I'm not sure of is in which direction will the price move once that bucket is filled. I've got no experience in this field so I ask; is it safe to assume that if there are only "X seats left at this price" the price will be higher after those seats are sold?
Old Jun 6, 2008, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by Mimi Imferst
Knowledge, whether intended to illicit a response(in this case, purchase) or not, is always beneficial.

The one thing I'm not sure of is in which direction will the price move once that bucket is filled. I've got no experience in this field so I ask; is it safe to assume that if there are only "X seats left at this price" the price will be higher after those seats are sold?
This is the crux of why this type of system is not necessarily good for the consumer. As a general rule you are buying from the cheapest bucket available at that time so when all the seats are sold from that bucket the immediate effect will be that fares go up. And many years ago that was basically how revenue management worked. There were 100 seats on the plane, split into 10 buckets with 10 seats in each and you sold what you sold (grossly over-simplified but you get the point). Today the revenue management folks are much more sophisticated and their modeling lets them much more easily have only high fare buckets available now and open up cheaper buckets later, or put more seats back into buckets, etc.

There is no guarantee one way or the other on the fares. But the "only NN left" is designed to encourage the sale based on the years of conditioning that fares only ever go up. Of course, generally fares do only go up. And with B6's free re-pricing for a credit it isn't that big a deal as long as you are going to ever travel again.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 6:21 am
Original Poster

. And with B6's free re-pricing for a credit it isn't that big a deal as long as you are going to ever travel again.
Is this true? How would I do this? I never knew about this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.