Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why i$ B6 Getting $o Expen$ive?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2008, 1:37 pm

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, Sky Miles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Hertz
I did not include the E190, because UA does not operate that aircraft, and it would not be a true side-by-side comaprison. But, since you brought it up:

The E190 operates on flights with a much shorter stage length - max range is ~2,000 miles, but if I'm not mistaken the longest flight right now is somethign like 1,300 miles or so.

The E190 has NO MIDDLE SEAT, creating a far more enjoyable ride.

The E190 has wider seats.

The E190 has IFE.

The E190 has larger windows.

The E190 has 33"/32" pitch and the exit rows at 38" pitch. Better than UA's standard 31", plus all the above advantages.

And again, consider the shorter average flight duration. To even compare the comfort of a B6 E190 to any UA aircraft is ridiculous.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 1:39 pm

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, Sky Miles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
Note I said one could fly in E+ as an alternative (and still cheaper than B6 ).
Cheaper maybe because UA lowered fares on competing routes to win back customers. Again, not in the interest of the customer. Oh, and how much will checking bags cost? What about changing a flight?
Old Jul 17, 2008, 1:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by jetBlueNYFL
I did not include the E190, because UA does not operate that aircraft, and it would not be a true side-by-side comaprison. But, since you brought it up:

The E190 operates on flights with a much shorter stage length - max range is ~2,000 miles, but if I'm not mistaken the longest flight right now is somethign like 1,300 miles or so.

The E190 has NO MIDDLE SEAT, creating a far more enjoyable ride.

The E190 has wider seats.

The E190 has IFE.

The E190 has larger windows.

The E190 has 33"/32" pitch and the exit rows at 38" pitch. Better than UA's standard 31", plus all the above advantages.

And again, consider the shorter average flight duration. To even compare the comfort of a B6 E190 to any UA aircraft is ridiculous.
LOL. This is "rah-rah" stuff at its finest, honestly. UA, in E+, is easily the more comfortable ride than the E190. There is no question. And, if you happen to be on a heavy (those are big airplanes in case you didn't know), you get the 2 x 4 x 2 configuration, so you don't have to sit in a middle seat, either.

This is really humorous.

Why can't some people admit that B6 isn't the best in every single little thing? It's a nice airline, but in certain areas other airlines compete and beat it. Face it.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
LOL. This is "rah-rah" stuff at its finest, honestly. UA, in E+, is easily the more comfortable ride than the E190. There is no question. And, if you happen to be on a heavy (those are big airplanes in case you didn't know), you get the 2 x 4 x 2 configuration, so you don't have to sit in a middle seat, either.

This is really humorous.

Why can't some people admit that B6 isn't the best in every single little thing? It's a nice airline, but in certain areas other airlines compete and beat it. Face it.
I totally agree with you. UA E+ is far superior than B6, period. Even the BOB boxes/fresh food items blow B6 out of the water on long range flights. Let's not forget, UA flies int'l config 767 and 777 domestically. If you get one of those, you'll also get IFE.

Lets be honest here. B6's major appeal is, or shall I say, was, the price. Sure, the live TV and a couple of inches of legroom are nice. However, it is certainly not worth the premium. For someone who flies transcon once a month or so, it is absolutely worth the effort to obtain elite status on UA than to fly B6. However, if I only flew once an year, then maybe I'd be tempted to fly B6 and pay the extra money.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 5:23 pm

Programs: TrueBlue, HHonors
Originally Posted by sbm12
How much higher is the B6 RASM than other carriers? That is the only way to demonstrate people paying a premium. Otherwise they're paying the same or less as anywhere else and fares have just gone up across the board.

I don't know one way or the other, but to say that static LF + increased RASM = people paying a premium just to fly B6 doesn't actually make sense unless all the other airlines have lower (or not as much higher) RASMs at the same time.
I found some info to the question you posed. I used passenger yield per ASM as I think this gets more to the price of a ticket than total revenue. Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

Table 18: Network Airline System* Passenger Revenue Yield
Network Airlines Ranked by 1st Quarter 2008 Revenue Yield (Cents Per RPM)
(Passenger Revenue per Revenue Passenger Mile in cents)

Excel | CSV

1Q 2008 Rank Network Airlines
1/07 2/07 3/07 4/07 1/08 1-Q PaxRev(Mil)
1 American 13.3 13.1 13.1 12.8 13.5 4,379
2 Continent 12.5 12.8 12.8 13.0 13.3 2,557
3 US** 13.7 14.5 13.8 13.1 13.1 1,905
4 Alaska 13.0 13.4 14.1 13.2 13.0 589
5 Delta 12.2 12.7 12.2 12.5 12.9 3,079
6 United 11.4 12.5 13.4 13.2 12.8 3,439
7 NW 12.5 12.7 13.3 12.5 12.5 2,216
Total 12.5 12.9 13.0 12.9 13.1 18,164

Source: Bureau of Transportation Statistics; Form 41; Schedule P1.2. T100; T2 Data

* System = domestic + international

** America West Airlines and US Airways now operate under a single certificate and are reporting jointly. The combined airline’s financial numbers are included with the network carriers beginning with the fourth quarter of 2007. US Airways’ previous numbers remain with network carriers and America West’s previous numbers are listed separately as a low-cost carrier.

Table 19: Low-Cost Airline System* Passenger Revenue Yield
Low-Cost Airlines Ranked by 1st Quarter 2008 Revenue Yield (Cents Per RPM)
(Passenger Revenue per Revenue Passenger Mile in cents)

Excel | CSV

1Q 2008 Rank Low-Cost Airlines
1/7 2/7 3/7 4/7 1/8 1st Q PaxRev$(Millions)
1 Southwest 12.7 12.7 12.3 13.2 13.3 2,347
2 AirTran 13.2 13.0 12.1 12.9 13.1 566
3 JetBlue 9.5 10.1 10.4 10.9 11.4 750
4 Spirit 10.8 10.2 9.5 9.7 10.7 179
5 Allegiant 9.6 9.6 9.2 9.5 10.0 106
6 Frontier** 11.4 11.1 11.4 11.6 N/A N/A
7 America West*** 11.7 11.0 10.8 N/A N/A N/A
Seven-Carrier Total 11.8 11.8 11.5 12.4 N/A N/A

Source: Bureau of Transportation Statistics; Form 41; Schedule P1.2. T100; T2 Data

* System = domestic + international

** Frontier failed to report financial data for the first quarter of 2008 in time for this release.

*** America West Airlines and US Airways now operate under a single certificate and are reporting jointly. The combined airline’s financial numbers are included with the network carriers beginning with the fourth quarter of 2007. US Airways’ previous numbers remain with network carriers and America West’s previous numbers are listed separately as a low-cost carrier.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that the table does not perfectly answer your question as the numbers are for "system" which includes international and domestic. As most of the legacies have very significant international networks, some of which carry a much better yield than their domestic networks, this is not a conclusive answer. After a half-hour on BTS I was glad to just find something. Anyways, something to chew on.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 9:10 am

Programs: Chase Million Miler, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Mimi Imferst
After a half-hour on BTS I was glad to just find something. Anyways, something to chew on.
BTW will actually provided you with the raw data used in their reports -- you can do all kinds of calculations on your own if you know how use database tools.

For revenue, the data you are looking for is DB1B Market Data.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 7:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Airlines Gold

I'm with you on this one. We don't win in every single category and there are some posters that defend every imaginable aspect of our company. We have plenty of items to improve although I am proud of our product. My personally hope we eventually beef up our loyalty program and start some interlining for customer protection. The problem is, now some of the other airlines are discontinuing interlining in some markets.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 7:48 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
So is JetBlue more expansive than other airlines? If yes is their a justification for this higher price? I think the only justification for these higher prices is that people are paying them. JetBlue wouldn't charge these prices if they couldn't sell any tickets. Unlike the legacy carriers JetBlue is in a position where they can lower and rise their fares much easier because of their different cost structure. The legacy carriers are burning money and are not able to cover their costs with the ticket price. The high oil price was just the last drop to cause the flood. So now the legacy carriers charge you for almost everything, reduce service and change the rules of their frequent flyer programs. JetBlue increases ticket prices but at least doesn't mess around with fantasy charges. I'm pretty sure it is only a question of when and not of if the first legacy carriers goes finally bankrupt and out of business.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Never posted in the B6 forum but you will all be proud to know that JetBlue has plastered every Miami Dade bus stop with banners and a goodly portion of the fleet of buses, your ticket monies at work!

Oh and the ads are horribly stupid, most of them have a snowboarder and say "Jetting is OUTTA here" what is that supposed to mean exactly? Are they using turboprops now?
Old Jul 23, 2008, 3:45 pm

Programs: Delta, Air France
Bear -- Thanks so much for the link to the site about the old Newark Airport. I grew up in Essex County and have fond memories of it. My father loved the Newarker and always took us there at the start of a vacation. My mother would point out the mural by the airport's entrance, that was paid for with pennies donated by Newark schoolchildren. Since she had grown up in Newark I never had any reason to doubt the story, but it does seem a little far-fetched. I thought that the original 'new' terminal was used by charters, but, then again, that was a long time ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.