Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX service suspended?

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2008, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DHAST
for those of you who care about direct operating costs, these hourly are for the 12 month period ending 9/2007.

JetBlue Crew cost: $437 Fuel:$1,544 Aircraftcost: $369 Insurance $6 Taxes: $68 Direct Maintenance: $231 Maintenance Burden: $116 Other: $12 Total Hourly Cost: $2,783

Fuel burn rate, in gallons per hour: 774 gph.
Thanks for the numbers!

Using $3.50/gal for today's fuel price (ignoring hedging gains and daily fluctuations in fuel price) gives us today's fuel price of $2,709/hr, or an hourly increase of $1,165.

Assuming 5.5 hours of flight time westbound and 5.0 hours eastbound plus 0.5 hours for possible circling delays over JFK plus the inevitable 0.5 to 1.0 hours of ground time at JFK waiting to take off gives us a ballpark of 11.0 hours for the typical round trip. $2,709 x 11.0 = $29,799 for the round trip, or $14,890 each way.

Note just how close that estimate is to jetBlue's explanation from Wednesday (I linked to it earlier) that it now costs $15,000 each way to gas up the A320s.

If the plane is booked to 100% revenue capacity, that's $100 just for fuel for every passenger. At 80%, it's $125 each.

Low fares and $3.50/gal jetA just don't mix.
Old May 16, 2008, 9:58 am

Programs: True Blue Mosaic,Elevate Gold
Burbank Afternoon flights

Was Jetblue's decision to get rid of the 3:40pm and 1:35pm flights out of Burbank to JFK, due to making times available for the new IAD flight or because the afternoon heat consistantly caused them to have to stopover in SLC or LAS to refuel?
Old May 16, 2008, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry I can't answer your question, but welcome to FlyerTalk, JMG5575!
Old May 16, 2008, 1:45 pm

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, HHonors
Originally Posted by JMG5575
Was Jetblue's decision to get rid of the 3:40pm and 1:35pm flights out of Burbank to JFK, due to making times available for the new IAD flight or because the afternoon heat consistantly caused them to have to stopover in SLC or LAS to refuel?
I don't for sure why, but I doubt it would be because of aircraft shortage. Also, if it was shortage of gate space, only one flight, not two, would be nixed. With the high price of fuel, there is lesser of a demand for aircrafts, especially the larger ones like the A320.
Old May 16, 2008, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
The fuel issues on the A320 don't generally impact eastbound flights, only westbound (into the prevailing winds).

I'll go out on a limb and say that B6 probably cut those flts b/c they are less profitable than using the aircraft for other purposes.
Old May 16, 2008, 7:49 pm

Programs: jetBlue TrueBlue, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors Diamond
Eastbound flights out of BUR often see fuel stops on flights because of the short runway and the hot temps that often hit the area in the summer.
Old May 16, 2008, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It was 92 at BUR on Thur, 95 today (at 7pm it's still 92) and the forecast calls for 97 on Saturday. Combined with winds from the NE, I imagine some eastbound stops have been necessary.
Old May 16, 2008, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by JetBlueFA
Eastbound flights out of BUR often see fuel stops on flights because of the short runway and the hot temps that often hit the area in the summer.
Since I fly out of BUR often, I deal with this issue alot. It makes the planes late, the PAX angry, and they usually give out vouchers.

So I was wondering if their thinking was to only fly in the morning and the late red eye, in an effort to avoid the afternoon heat and the problems it causes at BUR with the short runnway. Because the 1:30 and 3:40 flights were usually packed just like all the flights from BUR-JFK. Rarely are these flights not close to 100% load.
Old May 16, 2008, 8:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by FWAAA
It was 92 at BUR on Thur, 95 today (at 7pm it's still 92) and the forecast calls for 97 on Saturday. Combined with winds from the NE, I imagine some eastbound stops have been necessary.
Neither B6 208 nor 212 (the two afternoon flights from LGB to JFK) have had fuel stops this month, according to FlightAware.

As to the original question, I'm guessing that the flights were canceled because JetBlue found a better use for the planes. While they are taking on many new E190s this year I believe that the fleet plan only calls for ~5 new A320s. So the planes may be needed elsewhere to upgrade an existing route for the summer season to Florida or some other reason.
Old May 17, 2008, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
Neither B6 208 nor 212 (the two afternoon flights from LGB to JFK) have had fuel stops this month, according to FlightAware.

As to the original question, I'm guessing that the flights were canceled because JetBlue found a better use for the planes. While they are taking on many new E190s this year I believe that the fleet plan only calls for ~5 new A320s. So the planes may be needed elsewhere to upgrade an existing route for the summer season to Florida or some other reason.
The problem only occurs at BUR because they have short runways. LGB does not have this problem.

They didn't move the planes elsewere, they just shifted those two flights to the morning.
Old May 17, 2008, 12:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The problem only occurs at BUR because they have short runways. LGB does not have this problem.

They didn't move the planes elsewere, they just shifted those two flights to the morning.
I completely read BUR in the post and then searched on LGB. D'oh!

There were 3 diversions of B6 354 in April, one each to ACY, LAS and SLC. On similar days B6 352 diverted as well. I guess that probably had something to do with the change in plans.
Old May 23, 2008, 9:38 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Lifetime Titanium), HH Gold, AA Exec Platinum, Avis Presidents
Originally Posted by ScottNYC
And as an update to my earlier message, I checked my rebooked flight and noticed that there was no new seat assignment. I called the Customer Service # and they were kind enough to grant me an EML seat for free (after I asked if this was possible). This was really nice of the agent considering my flight was a TrueBlue Reward flight to begin with.
As another update to my earlier post about my cancelled LAX flight...Not only did they upgrade me for free to an EML seat (for my rescheduled flight to LGB), on Monday, 5/19 I received an email for a $50 voucher for future flight travel as a "gesture of apology and goodwill".

Considering that I bought the ticket as a TrueBlue reward flight, this was very impressive and a nice move by Jetblue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.