Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

No Pillows And No Blankets On Red-eye

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2008, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Just got back from a r/t to Nyc from California. Going and coming back there were no pillows and no blanket on board....I fount it very difficult to understand especially for the red-eye flight. When asked to hostess I was told "We are facing out pillows and blankets, soon we will offer them for sale".
Later on one of the hostess who denied a blanket to me gave a blanket to someone seated in the row in front of me. I do not really understand why, I was going to complain....
PLEASE BE AWARE TO BRING YOUR OWN PILLOWS AND BLANKETS...

Anyone else had the same experience ??
Old Feb 4, 2008, 6:53 pm

Programs: Bonvoy (Titanium) . Delta (Platinum)
Yes, I've had the same experience on US and DL, too.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 7:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I believe DL is putting them back on the redeyes. And B6 is phasing them out and moving towards a paid option. They announced it a couple months ago.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 12:19 am

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, Sky Miles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Hertz
Whatever the company chooses to do, I just really hope they sell these "bundles" in the GATE AREA at airports....NOT on the aircraft! After the fleet went on a diet due to fuel costs, it would be in their best interest to not start adding weight once again to the aircraft. They can stock up on these by the entrance to the jet bridge. It would only be needed mostly on transcons, maybe a few 3+ hour flights. Ideally, I would set this up with a moveable cart so that a jetBlue crewmember can easily move gate to gate before departure times to sell the items. Also, to eliminate confusion and hassle - equip them with the handheld CC readers like on the aircraft, no cash!
Old Feb 5, 2008, 5:36 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
yes blankets and blow up pillows are so heavy :P
Old Feb 5, 2008, 8:19 am

Programs: jetBlue TrueBlue, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors Diamond
The pillow and blanket policy is being looked at. Some west coast cities have them in stock, some cities don't. Unfortunatly the inflight crew is at the mercy of the station. We usually ask for them, be rarely to we recieve them.

On JFK-LGB and BOS-MCO we are test selling our comfort pack. I just flew MCO-BOS and we had these kits onboard for testing. As I figured, we didn't sell any as the flight was only 2 hours. I bet they are selling pretty well on the transcon JFK-LGB and the redeye back. I bought one for myself, yes I actually slid my credit card and paid $5 for it. In my opinion it is well worth the $5 we are charging for it. It has a felt-type blow up neck pillow, the same blow up neck pillow you would buy at the store and a full body length fleece blanket.

I commute all the time and bought it mainly for the pillow and not so much the blanket, as I am warm by nature. I can see a good demand for these on the transcon flights but I don't think they will be a big seller on the 1-2hour flights.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 8:56 am

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, HHonors
Originally Posted by JetBlueFA
The pillow and blanket policy is being looked at. Some west coast cities have them in stock, some cities don't. Unfortunatly the inflight crew is at the mercy of the station. We usually ask for them, be rarely to we recieve them.

On JFK-LGB and BOS-MCO we are test selling our comfort pack. I just flew MCO-BOS and we had these kits onboard for testing. As I figured, we didn't sell any as the flight was only 2 hours. I bet they are selling pretty well on the transcon JFK-LGB and the redeye back. I bought one for myself, yes I actually slid my credit card and paid $5 for it. In my opinion it is well worth the $5 we are charging for it. It has a felt-type blow up neck pillow, the same blow up neck pillow you would buy at the store and a full body length fleece blanket.

I commute all the time and bought it mainly for the pillow and not so much the blanket, as I am warm by nature. I can see a good demand for these on the transcon flights but I don't think they will be a big seller on the 1-2hour flights.
Even with them free, do you find a lot of people ask for them on the short hauls?
Old Feb 5, 2008, 9:40 am

There are usually 1 or 2 who request them. I still cringe when people put their heads on them. With some of the things I've seen pillows go through, both on JetBlue and other carriers, I would never use airline pillows.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 7:20 pm
djs

Programs: UA, Hertz Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver
Originally Posted by TravisMT81
yes blankets and blow up pillows are so heavy :P
Although the individual blankets and pillows probably don't weight that much, the real savings is in the collective numbers. I'm completely making up numbers here, but lets say that it costs an additional $5 in fuel per flight to carry these items, multiply that by 100 flights a day and you're at $182,500 savings each year (my guess is that the $5 figure may be a bit high, and the 100 flights a day is probably low).

As consumers we demand low prices and have forced providers to cut costs (their costs) in order to bring the low prices we so desire. Every time we think we're being "nickled-and-dimed" we should take a moment to realize just how many nickles and dimes we're talking about.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 8:14 pm

that is exactly how the legacies got on the slippery slope of nickle and diming their customers - now another one is joining the party.

I have no problem with it - just what constituted the "humanity" that JBLU claimed that it EXCLUSIVELY put back into the air travel - sure it is not blanket, not earphone, not pillows, then what?

Originally Posted by djs
Although the individual blankets and pillows probably don't weight that much, the real savings is in the collective numbers. I'm completely making up numbers here, but lets say that it costs an additional $5 in fuel per flight to carry these items, multiply that by 100 flights a day and you're at $182,500 savings each year (my guess is that the $5 figure may be a bit high, and the 100 flights a day is probably low).

As consumers we demand low prices and have forced providers to cut costs (their costs) in order to bring the low prices we so desire. Every time we think we're being "nickled-and-dimed" we should take a moment to realize just how many nickles and dimes we're talking about.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 8:22 pm

That's why we are test selling it and seeing the customer feedback. If we get a positive feed back from the customers then the comfort packs may go forward and you'll see them onboard instead of the "free" pillows and blankets. If customer feedback is negative and the testing doesn't go well then we may not sell the comfort packs. Remember, we could have just made the change in the policy and said tough luck to you the customers. We didn't though, we want your input on things like this. If you would rather have the free blankets and pillows then go to Speak Up at www.jetblue.com and let us know!
Old Feb 5, 2008, 9:58 pm

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, Sky Miles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by ciaobel
that is exactly how the legacies got on the slippery slope of nickle and diming their customers - now another one is joining the party.

I have no problem with it - just what constituted the "humanity" that JBLU claimed that it EXCLUSIVELY put back into the air travel - sure it is not blanket, not earphone, not pillows, then what?
FRIENDLY Crewmembers - For the most part at most other airlines, a very small percentage were friendly. At jetBlue, it's the other way around - a very small percentage is not friendly, helpful, professional, etc.

IFE - JetBlue innovated tremendously with Live TV, XM Radio, 3 Fox InFlight movies, etc.

Personal Tray Service - No carts clogging the aisle

Wider cabins

More legroom

No Sat. night stay

One-way fares

Reasonable fare cap

Ease of earning and redeeming points

Free snacks

etc. etc. etc.
Old Feb 9, 2008, 11:24 pm
Original Poster

On my flight back from Jfk I asked for a blanked as soon as I got on board and got the standard response "sorry we are phasing them out and none are available on board"...I asked the hostess to double check and she told me she was sure she had none on board...Then later on the same hostess gave a blanket to a a guest seating in the row in front on me...why ???
At least they could be consistent with this policy ??!!!
Old Feb 13, 2008, 10:40 pm

Charging for pillows and blanket, even on redeyes? Shades of Ryanair. What's next? Charging for water and soda?

So much for jetBlue's superior passenger experience.

jetBlue's entire model has really been based on the idea of a different experience, and once you try us, you'll be addicted. This is a disappointing development that flies in the face of their previous model. It will definitely upset passengers - especially those first-time customers that they want to woo with the jetBlue experience.

And the cost savings is quite modest. I thought that being penny-wise and pound-foolish was a sickness that afflicted only the legacies. Apparently, it is contagious.

I sure hope this isn't the beginning of a trend.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 6:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Paulo
once you try us, you'll be addicted.
But once you're addicted you can't break the cycle

It will make it harder to get new addicts into the fold, though only if B6 is still a worse experience than the other options. As the other carriers reduce their service levels, B6 staying further ahead doesn't really do them any good. If you can get the same customers (and potentially incremental revenue from selling the pack) by being 10% better than the rest of the industry, spending extra money (and avoiding the incremental revenue) to be 20% better is wasted money.

I'm not saying that I like B6 going this direction, but I think that it isn't all that surprising that they are trending towards the other carriers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.