Search

'Copter to/from JFK

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2007, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MileagePlus 1K, DL Gold Medallion, SPG Platinum
'Copter to/from JFK

This is a long shot, but...

I have to make the 5:30pm from JFK -SFO tomorrow, but I can't leave work until 4pm (Wall St.). I recently got an email from DL about their partnership w/ US Helicopter (www.flyush.com). They offer an 8-minute ride from the heliport at Pier 11 (end of Wall Street on West) for $165 incl. taxes.

Has anyone ever done this and connected to a flight other than DL? I need to know how easy it is to get from the heliport at JFK to T6 for my flight and vice-versa...

Any input would be appreciated.
Old May 17, 2007, 9:39 am

Programs: AA Plat - (1MM)
After you land and park, you are taken to the Delta Terminal (T3). From there you would have to claim your bags if you had any, exit the terminal and get onto the air train to jetblue. The train ride should be short since its only 2 stops.
Old May 17, 2007, 9:52 am

If the weather's poor at either end (like the recent fog problems), the choppers will be grounded and you'll miss your flight. That said, if you check-in online and can make the 4 pm helicopter, you'll make a 5:30 flight no problem. If you can't make the 4pm bird, you're out of luck; the chopper leaves on the hour and the 5pm flight won't get you there in enough time to change terminals and clear security.
Old May 17, 2007, 6:24 pm

Programs: Bonvoy (Titanium) . Delta (Platinum)
I'd just snag a seat on the 9PM flight, which is currently showing availability. You could call tonight (at midnight) and get a same day confirmed change on the 9PM flight for $25 bucks. Much much cheaper than the copter.
Old May 17, 2007, 6:57 pm

Programs: jetBlue TrueBlue, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors Diamond
NYC is forcasted for heavy rain showers tomorrow as a Low pushes north.
Old May 17, 2007, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MileagePlus 1K, DL Gold Medallion, SPG Platinum
many thanks to everyone who replied. i think i'm just going to take a car at 4pm... i'm sure i'll make it, and if not, i'll try for stand-by on the 9pm.

thanks again.
Old May 18, 2007, 7:14 am

Programs: SkyMiles Silver, OnePass Gold, AAdvantage Gold, AS, NW, US, UA, LH
Originally Posted by nickio
many thanks to everyone who replied. i think i'm just going to take a car at 4pm... i'm sure i'll make it, and if not, i'll try for stand-by on the 9pm.

thanks again.
Have you considered the possibility of taking the A train from Broadway Nassau to Howard Beach JFK? From Lower Manhattan it is a 35 - 40 minute trip. If your boarding pass is already printed and the flight is a few minutes late you'll have time to kill.
Old May 18, 2007, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by New York City Flyer
Have you considered the possibility of taking the A train from Broadway Nassau to Howard Beach JFK? From Lower Manhattan it is a 35 - 40 minute trip. If your boarding pass is already printed and the flight is a few minutes late you'll have time to kill.
This would not be the best way to go to JFK during rush hour.

The better way would be to take the 2/3/4/5 to Atlantic avenue, and hop on the long island railroad at the flatbush avenue terminal (any train to Jamaica/JFK Airtrain stop). Anyone traveling to JFK during or near rush hour should consider the LIRR from Penn Station or Flatbush Avenue terminal in Brooklyn, and for lower manhattan locations, Flatbush is more efficient.

To be honest, for the extra couple of bucks, the Long Island Rail Road to Jamaica is usually a better trip than taking the subway.
Old May 20, 2007, 5:06 pm

Programs: SkyMiles Silver, OnePass Gold, AAdvantage Gold, AS, NW, US, UA, LH
Originally Posted by defiance96
This would not be the best way to go to JFK during rush hour.

The better way would be to take the 2/3/4/5 to Atlantic avenue, and hop on the long island railroad at the flatbush avenue terminal (any train to Jamaica/JFK Airtrain stop). Anyone traveling to JFK during or near rush hour should consider the LIRR from Penn Station or Flatbush Avenue terminal in Brooklyn, and for lower manhattan locations, Flatbush is more efficient.

To be honest, for the extra couple of bucks, the Long Island Rail Road to Jamaica is usually a better trip than taking the subway.
I'm not sure I necessarily agree with this. It is slightly over 35 minutes on the A train from Broadway Nassau to the JFK Air Train. Granted, waiting for the right A train may be a maddening 12 - 14 minute wait (at worst).

Between waiting up to five minutes for the 2 or 3 train, ten minutes heading to Atlantic / Flatbush Avenue, maneuvering through the station, potentially having to wait another ten minutes (if its not your day), spending almost 20 minutes on that train, and then darting through the Jamaica station to the Air Train I'm not sure its worth the hassle and the risk for what may be a maximum savings of three to five minutes but could result in a longer trip if you just miss three trains instead of two.

I checked the OPs flight and it was an hour late on Friday anyway so I'm sure (s)he made his / her flight.
Old May 20, 2007, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by New York City Flyer
I'm not sure I necessarily agree with this. It is slightly over 35 minutes on the A train from Broadway Nassau to the JFK Air Train. Granted, waiting for the right A train may be a maddening 12 - 14 minute wait (at worst).

Between waiting up to five minutes for the 2 or 3 train, ten minutes heading to Atlantic / Flatbush Avenue, maneuvering through the station, potentially having to wait another ten minutes (if its not your day), spending almost 20 minutes on that train, and then darting through the Jamaica station to the Air Train I'm not sure its worth the hassle and the risk for what may be a maximum savings of three to five minutes but could result in a longer trip if you just miss three trains instead of two.

I checked the OPs flight and it was an hour late on Friday anyway so I'm sure (s)he made his / her flight.

Yes, I see your point which probably is true in most cases, but in this particular case, I answered given that the OP said they were actually at Wall St. which is near Broadway/Nassau, but still a bit of a walk , so the 2/3 or 4/5 stops were probably right out his door, but the A train would have required both a walk to Broadway/Nassau (or a subway transfer) AND the wait for the A.

Since the 2/3/4/5 stop right across from the LIRR in Atlantic Terminal, and since it was rush hour, his wait would not have been longer than 7 or 8minutes there, http://mta.info/lirr/Timetable/CityZ...eriod=Weekdays, so , in the particular situation of being on Wall St, I think it would have been a time saver, with minimal walking or waiting time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.