Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

post your odds on JetBlue's survival 1 year out

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

post your odds on JetBlue's survival 1 year out

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2007, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by SkaterJasp
I fail to see how that thread is stupid because I didn't know about the new tail design and most frequent flyers for jetBlue or the new unoffical crew of "jetBlue cheerleaders" very much like to know what the new tail designs are. Its like when other airlines get a new "special livery, aka advertisement for your so call new partner" or something like that and everyone talks about it.
The OP of that thread called this thread stupid. I fail to see how this thread is stupid, or at the minimum any "stupider" than that thread. Discussing the future financial viability of an airline is pretty important to travelers, IMHO. I find FlyerTalk to be an excellent place to discuss such matters. I find airliners.net to be an excellent place to discuss the paint on airplane tails. That's just me. Far be it from me to suggest what people post here, I really don't care, but for the OP of that thread to call this one stupid is ridiculous, because IMHO this one is far more interesting and relevant than that one. Some may find that one more interesting, some may find this one more interesting, but for this one to be "stupid" and that one not is asinine.

Originally Posted by jetBlueNYFL
The funny thing, though, is that it has only been this way since the mess at JFK last week. Debates are ALWAYS welcome here, as on any forum, but the activity on this forum has been MUCH higher than usual - mainly with bashers trashing even the non-related threads.
There is far more to discuss when things go wrong or things change than when things go well or are status quo. That is the nature of anything.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 6:32 pm

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, Sky Miles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by whlinder
There is far more to discuss when things go wrong or things change than when things go well or are status quo. That is the nature of anything.
Maybe there's far more to discuss when things go wrong than when things go well, because people just love bad news. Bad news is what sells and that is unfortunate.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 6:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Maybe there's far more to discuss when things go wrong than when things go well, because people just love bad news. Bad news is what sells and that is unfortunate.
Or maybe people value their time and don't like being stuck in airports and cities for 5 days so they're trying to figure out if this airline really sucks or it was just a fluke.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 7:39 pm
Don

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
Or maybe people value their time and don't like being stuck in airports and cities for 5 days so they're trying to figure out if this airline really sucks or it was just a fluke.
Magiciansampras - thanks for a good thread.^

I'll offer 80-20 odds in favor of one-year survival.
(But why bet with me? A couple of years ago I'd have put up money that USAir would be gone by '06.)

Aside for the usual variables in this industry - labor, travel demand, routes, new competition, fuel price, gate contracts, etc. - B6 has put a whole lot of extra pressure on itself with last weekend's debacle.
The world will be have the "JetBlue = screwups" thought in the back of its collective mind for many, many months ... so a couple of otherwise medium-scale mistakes would quickly catapult JetBlue back into Letterman's monologue.

I'm always leery of any discounter's ability to overcome problems that are an outgrowth of its "save a buck on operations" business structure.

Let's check back on this thread in the first quarter of '08.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 10:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz 5*, Marriott PLT
JetBlue basically BROKE EVEN in 2006. That's not a loss. 2005 was a loss...and the company's RTP plan has proven wonders thus far.

That's why I said jetBlue "basically" BROKE EVEN. Think about how many airlines in this country would have loved to have a loss of ONLY $1 million in 2006 - or since 2006 was better for the industry as a whole, how about a loss of that size in the 4 years after 9/11/01? Many airlines could only wish they posted a loss that small. In reality, a loss that small in this industry is pretty much break-even. Either way, a HUGE turn around from one year ago for jetBlue
The comment about 2006 saying "That's not a loss" is not true. I'll give you "basically BROKE EVEN" but not "that's not a loss". Anything negative is a loss. PERIOD.

The reply isn't about other airlines losing money. So that means B6 didn't lose money? No, they still lost, yes lost, lost, lost, money in 2006.

Again, losing money in 2005 and 2006 means if they lose money in 2007 it is THREE years in a row of losses.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 6:44 am

Programs: UA Plat., 1.52 MM
My bet:

In order to make a bet on the odds of survival let me list some challenges that confront the CEO of JBLU:
1) By his own admission JBLU will have to hire/rehire staff to cover for the "lack of depth" in all lines of occupations. Payroll will increase fixed costs.
2) By all accounts JBLU must upgrade its reservation system. This and other IT improvments will cost money.
3) Seems that JBLU lacks backup equipment. It will have to acquire/lease and keep some airplanes for contingency. That costs money and will increase fixed costs.
4) To survive contingencies, JBLU needs a backup/secondary hub (in addition to JFK) somewhere in the West. The acquisition/rental/leasing costs of gates, offices, infrastructure, hiring G/As, dispatchers, IT - all cost money and increase fixed costs.
5) To retain market share JBLU will have to keep its fares very competitive. Competitve fares means limit on revenue. Bad for the P&L statement.
6) JetBlue has no control over world price of JetFuel. May become a problem in the future.
7) The good news - the estimated $30 million costs of the last week fiasco are petty cash compared to the future looming capital outlays. (see above).

So.
Will JBLU fly around one year from now? Somehow Yes.
Two years from now? 50/50. If around - then under chapter 11 reorganization. If not around it will have been merged by another airline CEO with a monumental ego who is sober.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 10:33 am
Suspended

I think it will be business as usual for B6 pretty soon. Consumers tend to have really short memories.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 10:37 am

Programs: AA AAdvantage, NWA Worldperks, SWA Rapid Rewards, Hilton HHonors, TripRewards
Originally Posted by Intrepid
In order to make a bet on the odds of survival let me list some challenges that confront the CEO of JBLU:
1) By his own admission JBLU will have to hire/rehire staff to cover for the "lack of depth" in all lines of occupations. Payroll will increase fixed costs.
2) By all accounts JBLU must upgrade its reservation system. This and other IT improvments will cost money.
3) Seems that JBLU lacks backup equipment. It will have to acquire/lease and keep some airplanes for contingency. That costs money and will increase fixed costs.
4) To survive contingencies, JBLU needs a backup/secondary hub (in addition to JFK) somewhere in the West. The acquisition/rental/leasing costs of gates, offices, infrastructure, hiring G/As, dispatchers, IT - all cost money and increase fixed costs.
5) To retain market share JBLU will have to keep its fares very competitive. Competitve fares means limit on revenue. Bad for the P&L statement.
6) JetBlue has no control over world price of JetFuel. May become a problem in the future.
7) The good news - the estimated $30 million costs of the last week fiasco are petty cash compared to the future looming capital outlays. (see above).

So.
Two years from now? 50/50. If around - then under chapter 11 reorganization. If not around it will have been merged by another airline CEO with a monumental ego who is sober.

Excellent analysis. ^
Old Feb 21, 2007, 11:10 am

My bet is 100% for upcoming year, but 50-50 for the coming three year, with 50% for standalone survival, 50% for being acquired by, at this point, US Airways.

excellent post .. I have a few points to add to that.

1. JBLU achieved tremendous turnaround during 4Q06 by increasing RASM and cutting cost, the full year 2006 saving was estimated to be $75M, I really believe that the cost cutting pushed its system to the limits and there is no margin for operational overflows - that is dangerous. Wait till summer peak when both JFK and Florida are both prone to weather conditions

2. The PR team at JBLU should be fired: they know how to hype a new TV channel, a new cookie, but they do not know how to manage crisis. Worst of all, they have been overhyping JBLU: there is only this much more you can give to passengers within the limit of cost effectiveness, the only smart way with air travel is to manage DOWN expectations and to over deliver, yet its PR team over hyped all along, that would cost the company more than $30M to repair

3. Last but not the least, it is the labor issue. JBLU has counted on its young and unjaded crewmembers to deliver superior service, at lower cost if adjusted cost of living. That would not last forever. The meltdown might be a turning point for labors to organize and renogotiate because they have been overworked and their current seniority (5+) calls for a big bump. And when that thing surfaces, it is going to be a downward spiral. But I do not think that it is going to happen within the next year, three years probably.

Originally Posted by Intrepid

So.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.